Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
Love my JR origins. Had it a couple of months now. You will need deeper fitted sheets (I don't know the exact term), normal fitted sheets aren't deep enough.

Glad you've found it good, our current one is terrible and old so I'm hoping for a night and day difference.

Been looking on John Lewis and it mentions maximum depths of 35cm but not sure if that is enough?

Associate
Should be good. We got 40cm (ebay/Amazon I think) but that's because we got a 3" cool blue hybrid foam topper thing to cover too.

Soldato
Do you really think they wouldn't vacuum wrap them if it were possible? They would save considerable money on logistics by compacting the footprint of a mattress to that of the boxes these start-up mattresses come in.

From what I can see (based on all the vacuum sealed designs), the only ones that can be vacuum wrapped are ones where the springs make up a slither of the total thickness of the mattress. The Simba springs are probably 10% of the total thickness or less, the Silentnight springs are 50%+.

http://www.thedrum.com/creative-works/project/garage-soho-simba-billboard-campaign <- Simba design
https://www.silentnight.co.uk/mattresses/miracoil-mirapocket/ <- Mirapocket part way down the page

Both of the Ikea spring mattresses I looked at come vacuum packed, they press them flat, vacuum pack them and then roll them up. There's more to it than just cramming it into a box.

Soldato
Seriously though, im just looking for a new mattress, Are these foam/hybrid all the same coming from the factory with just clever marketing ?

Which one is the best. Some of them have sales atm, so not looking to get duped if i can get it from another company when its exactly the same.

cheers

Associate
Just bought an Eve Mattress on the basis that there is a 100 night trial if we don't like it.

Previously had a 12" pocket spring with latex top layer built in and find the Eve mattress firmer, actually a little too firm. Had a bit of a chemical smell which faded after a couple of weeks but is still there if you rest your head on it directly, sure it will fade more with time. Being foam and quite firm you don't notice your partner moving around as much which is nice.

Don't think we will be keeping it though as it is just too firm. From what I gather the Simba is a little less firm so we may trial this next, if that doesn't work then back to a decent pocket spring mattress with built in topper it is!

Soldato
Ive narrowed down my choice to casper vs eve,

I am a side sleeper, which one is more suited to me ?

also how do these mattress in a box compare to john lewis pocket sprung mattress in price range of £500-600 ?

Last edited:
Associate
Sidesleeper here and been happy with my John Ryan Origins, had it since sometime first half of the year. We have an extra 3" cool blue foam topper also, really comfy.

Not tried a bed in a box to compare it to but the construction didn't look as good on the ones I saw.

Associate
Has anyone got a Tempur Countour? I'm about to drop 4k on that and a Tempur bedframe and was wondering if they are as good as they say? I'm hoping there might be a Boxing Day sale but the Tempur shop said they don't do Boxing Day sales.

Soldato
Has anyone got a Tempur Countour? I'm about to drop 4k on that and a Tempur bedframe and was wondering if they are as good as they say? I'm hoping there might be a Boxing Day sale but the Tempur shop said they don't do Boxing Day sales.

You need to go to a Dreams or John Lewis to test them out before you spend that kind of cash. Tempur do a range of mattresses that feel very different from each other. There's one they do that I think is fantastic, a couple that I think are okay, and the rest just don't suit me at all. For that sort of money you at least need to try the different models to see what you like.

Associate
You need to go to a Dreams or John Lewis to test them out before you spend that kind of cash. Tempur do a range of mattresses that feel very different from each other. There's one they do that I think is fantastic, a couple that I think are okay, and the rest just don't suit me at all. For that sort of money you at least need to try the different models to see what you like.

I have layed down on the mattress in the tempur shop. It feels great, but it isn't the same as having slept in it for a while. I'm looking at the level four of firmness (contour).

Soldato
Sleeping on my mums mattress with a topper last night, makes me appreciate how comfortable the Leesa is. I used to really like my mum's, but it's not a comfortable as my own now though.

I am tempted to get the Casper while still holding on to the Leesa and then decide between the two, sending one back after deciding. My issue is, I'm only in a small flat and there's not a good place to store the rejected one while waiting for collection.

Back
Top Bottom