Bright | Teaser [HD] | Netflix

Soldato
I sat down to this thinking it would be rubbish, but, I ended up watching the whole movie and thought it was pretty good. After seeing it, I wouldn't have minded if they had made a longer movie. How did the world get the way it was? What exactly happened 2000 years ago. More information on the various races etc. Maybe a sequel is in the works.

Caporegime
Decent enough movie, certainly with high production standards and practical effects rather than an over reliance on CGI. TBH I'd watch a series based in this universe as well.

Sadly I foresaw the
Will Smith character being a Bright as soon as they said only a Bright can hold a Wand. Typical Hollywood.

Soldato
Decent enough movie, certainly with high production standards and practical effects rather than an over reliance on CGI. TBH I'd watch a series based in this universe as well.

Sadly I foresaw the
Will Smith character being a Bright as soon as they said only a Bright can hold a Wand. Typical Hollywood.

When they arrested the shield of light crazy guy. Didn't he tell Jakoby to protect Ward because he was special. So they practically told us. Orcs aren't too bright though (excuse the pun) It's not really a surprise that he was shocked when Ward could use the Wand. I think Tikka knew too.

Man of Honour
Overall quite liked it but the last quarter kind of lost my interest - first half was very good but I felt they kind of failed to capitalise on the potential - possibly because the material needed more run time really than a movie - especially the background between the two main female Elves was poorly exposed.

Was Will Smith's character actually a bright? I'd kind of lost interest by that point but it seemed to be hinting that Tikka was enabling him to use it without it destroying him

Last edited:
Soldato
Just watched it, liked it overall despite several issues and it had one the best "wow" moments this year for the "visual" part of my brain when
the tree lit up behind all the kneeling orcs after Jakoby had been revived after being killed and thrown down the pit

I though Noomi Rapace was massively under utilised considering her abilities, the "FBI" stuff was very weak and that the theme is a bit worn out (cop buddy movie) but I liked the mythical twist they've put on it, I like the world building they did & would like to know more and I thought both leads played very well off each other, I mean neither will win an oscar but both did really well.

I noticed when will Smith held the wand it turned Orange where as, when the elf did (and the other human who blew up) it stayed blue/white. I took it to mean he was a human bright as it was an option discussed several times during the film (Humans can be but it's rare, 1 in a million, He's blessed etc).

Soldato
Was forced to watch it again today, during the interview with the FBI that homeless looking sword guy mentioned that human Brights are exceptionally rare but do exist so coupled with what he said inside the police car, yeah Smith is a human bright.

Soldato
As a cynical, and therefore probably unrealistic view - As a non-cinema "TV" only film maybe the film "critics" wouldn't be wined and dined by Netflix (who don't give a crap about the critics) so they've down scored it harshly?

Despite being only a "Netflix" film I believe this film is good enough that people would have watched it in the cinema if it'd been released to a wider audience.

Soldato
Yeah it wouldn't look out of place being released in a cinema, I can say that for a few other Netflix original films so hopefully a sign of things to come. They have already commissioned a sequel, maybe they'll touch a little more on the world they live in as it felt skipped over. Swear I saw a dragon in one of the city backdrops, I mean where do those things fit in the backstory!

Associate
Despite being only a "Netflix" film I believe this film is good enough that people would have watched it in the cinema if it'd been released to a wider audience.

They had a trailer for it before one of The Last Jedi screenings I went to and I thought it was going to be a cinema release before I realised what it was.

I didn't even realise which character Noomi Rapace was, she was unrecognisable to me.

Caporegime
Yeah it wouldn't look out of place being released in a cinema, I can say that for a few other Netflix original films so hopefully a sign of things to come. They have already commissioned a sequel, maybe they'll touch a little more on the world they live in as it felt skipped over. Swear I saw a dragon in one of the city backdrops, I mean where do those things fit in the backstory!
There was indeed. Should be good if they introduce them!

Back
Top Bottom