Iceland in...January!

Associate
one is not enough so buy 2 for sure and maybe 4

Words to live by :p

Forgot to mention actually, the downside of January is Jokulsarlon probably doesn't have the boat tours operating. Still awesome to see but if the boat tours aren't running it might be a massive detractor. Totally depends what sort of traveller you are and if you're happy driving long distances to go exploring etc :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi chaps, I booked our flights and hotel last night, one question. We're staying in central Reykjavik - I was quoted £60 for a shared transfer from airport, or £230 for a private one. From google maps my hotel is <2Km from the airport as the crow flies.....am I missing something here?!?

I presume there is a public bus I can jump on, or a cab will be way cheaper. Do they have Uber?

Soldato
The Flybus goes from the Airport to the city, its less than £20 if I remember. I always just use that.

They usually have loads of them waiting at the airport when you arrive but book online too

Soldato
The public transport coaches from the Airport to Reykjavik are great. Modern, clean and free wifi. I can't remember the cost but it is obviously much cheaper than a private transfer or taxi. They run for every plane arrival too (and same to get back to the airport).

The buses do stop at some hotels particularly if you're on the way from the airport to the centre, but the main/end stop is a bit outside the centre so you may have to get a taxi/walk from there.

I was only there for three days, did Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon (all on one day due to poor weather for the tours). I really liked just walking around Reykjavik. There was a great whisky bar we ended up in one evening.

Soldato
Got back from Iceland last weekend, rented a car which turned out to be a Nissan X-Trail, dont park in the main car parks, park on the street and use the meters as its a lot cheaper, this was advise from our Hotel.

Sadly didn't get to see the Northern Lights as the weather was rubbish and solar activity was low, went to Blue Lagoon and also drove round the Golden Circle stopping at all the tourist spots, I would definitely recommend hiring a car though.

Associate
Went there in january in 2001, it was fun! We kept the "icelandic t-shirt" as we called them, which are HUGE whooly jumpers. At the time we hired a big-truck+driver who took us around, we went to see the atlantic rift, the jeysers etc in 'our' own big wheeled car, it was fun. Restaurants in town were pretty good (if quite pricy, as always).
Thing I remember most was the smelly tap water!

Other thing I remember most is that we went on to NYC afterward, and went on the top of the world trade center -- my wife was terrified and I used to show off saying stuff like "look darling, there's airplaines flying *bellow* where we are!" -- obviously, we won't forget that holiday anytime soon...

Soldato
I went January just gone. Absolutely loved it but I've never been as cold in my life as I was at times.
At the foot of one of the waterfalls despite it being only -15c I had numb hands after a couple of minutes outside. The spray froze on my camera lens instantly so no photos were possible from there. (the view at the top was far more capturable and made up for it!). I've experienced -43c in Quebec but that felt vastly more comfortable than Iceland.
Food wise we actually ate very little out there as our few experiences of cafe/restaurants left us in disbelief of the prices. A very low key restaurant was the worst at £118 for two bread based starters and two pasta based mains with two soft drinks. A burger and chips each with soft drink was about £20 each from a fuel stop on the southern highway. Supermarkets came out at about £30 for stuff that would have cost £10 here. I dare say if we'd have looked more closely at local brands we'd have saved a fair bit.
Some food outlets were less expensive but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason on when it was going to be extortionate rather than just expensive.

I was also not lucky enough to see the lights due to cloud cover so we will be going back probably in September or October though.

Seljalandsfoss by Luke V, on Flickr

Skalholt cathedral by Luke V, on Flickr

Geysir 2 by Luke V, on Flickr

Gullfoss Falls 2 by Luke V, on Flickr

Laugaras by Luke V, on Flickr

Ölfusá river by Luke V, on Flickr

Jökulsárlón glacier by Luke V, on Flickr

Faint aurora borealis by Luke V, on Flickr

Soldato
Depends where you want to go. If you are sticking to main roads you will be fine. If you want to go a bit off the beaten path then you may struggle.
The Golf should be on winter studded tyres so will be better than you're used to in the snow/ice.

Back
Top Bottom