What <£500 AVRs should I be looking at?

Soldato
As title. I've posted about this before but I'm looking for to upgrade my stereo Marantz amp to an AVR. I'd love to stick with Marantz - music ability is important to me and I'm only going to be using a stereo setup for the foreseeable future. However I really need an AVR for ease of use (currently 7 devices plugged in).

Been looking at these;
Marantz NR1608 (unfortunately too deep to fit! Possibly a bit underpowered?)
Marantz SR5012 (can't find price/reviews?)
Sony STR-DN1080
Denon AVR-2400H (seems well recommended)

What else should I be comparing? :)

Soldato
If you're happy with the Marantz stereo amp, you could just add a AVR to your system, rather than having a AVR replace the Marantz stereo amp.

Just make sure the AVR has left & right pre-outs, and ideally your Marantz amp has power amplifier inputs.

You'll also gain the advantage of when in 5.1/7.1 mode, your center, rears/sides will have more power because your L/R speakers are driven by external amps.

Although I could understand a single box may be easier to use, sometimes it's better to have two (or more) boxes. I've gone down both routes, from AVR to AVR + stereo amp, AVR 3 channel Yamaha add on + stereo amp.

Soldato
OP
Well, my stereo amplifier is a Marantz PM6010OSE which I imagine is a good 15 years old. It's done me well but keeps losing left or right and switches off entirely, occasionally. So it has nothing but analogue inputs.

All my music is now played via Chromecast (3.5mm in, or alternatively Optical with adapter) and all my AV devices are HDMI. Nothing else, really.

I like the idea of keeping the Marantz for music but as above it has its issues now, and as of this Christmas I now have a Google Home and a Harmony Ultimate (and hub) -- with every intention of being able to walk into my lounge and say "Hey Google, turn on the TV" or "turn on the Fire TV" etc :) Just can't do that as the Marantz has no standby mode.

Also, do you think I need to check my speakers with regards to changing the amp that runs them? They are Gale 3030 floorstanders which were bought at the same time as the amp. Don't want to blow them or anything... :confused:

Man of Honour
You're very unlikely to blow any speakers with too much power unless you do something idiotic such as run them at full power from cold (hangs head in shame, but keeps a cheeky grin). You're far more likely to kill a tweeter by running an under-powered amp at high volume where it distorts a lot.

The other thing to say is take any power ratings of AV Receivers with a large pinch of salt. A Watt is a Watt. If the power consumption from the mains socket is 500W, then the real world power output from all the speakers at 8 Ohm can't be more than. Class-D amps are 90% efficient, there's always some power loss to heat and the processing.

I like Yamaha AV amps for stereo playback. I've never really got on with Denon receivers for music. Onkyo has a bit of reputation for fragility on the HDMI and digital audio boards. Marantz is part of Denon but still distinct enough to have it's own tonal signature. Pioneer; just find them a bit thin and lacking (now part of Onkyo). Haven't used Sony receivers enough to form an opinion, but remember their ES gear from ages past and that never really did it for me. Arcam is good but hugely expensive and buggy. Anthem is nice but again a high-end brand.

I wonder though if your Gales are up to showing the difference? IIRC they're an in-house brand done for Richers. The 3030's were sold as an inexpensive floorstander, something around the £150 mark(?). It's incredibly difficult to make large cabinets cheaply and make them strong and well braced. The result is that they often "sing" (resonate) with the music and add their own sound on top of what's being played. Weighting with bagged kiln-dried sand can help a bit but the vertical panels still flex. Stand mounters at the same price are easier to make more rigid, and so they can often sound better defined in the bass and midrange despite lacking the small amount of deeper bass that a bigger box promises.

Soldato
I own a Yamaha Rxv781 and I've been happy with it. It's been much better to use than my old Denon as I found Denon have(had?) a really crap mobile interface.

My model is a 2016 release but it's had a firmware update and I'm struggling to see how its any different to the more recent releases now.

The Rxv683 looks decent at current price on richer sounds. If yamaha tickles your fancy anyway.

Soldato
OP
Thanks both. Very useful. I shall head over to AVFs and ask the same question :p

I wonder though if your Gales are up to showing the difference? IIRC they're an in-house brand done for Richers. The 3030's were sold as an inexpensive floorstander, something around the £150 mark(?). It's incredibly difficult to make large cabinets cheaply and make them strong and well braced. The result is that they often "sing" (resonate) with the music and add their own sound on top of what's being played. Weighting with bagged kiln-dried sand can help a bit but the vertical panels still flex. Stand mounters at the same price are easier to make more rigid, and so they can often sound better defined in the bass and midrange despite lacking the small amount of deeper bass that a bigger box promises.
You're entirely correct about the Gales. I did audition them at the time compared to other floorstanders (for some reason I wanted floorstanders) and with the Marantz I remember them being the best. I'm not a basshead, but they give a nice combo of brightness and clarity in the top end with a bit of heft at the bottom. I like them, but yes perhaps they won't show much difference. However if I'm spending <£500 on a new amp from necessity (old one broken) I may as well do my research in case I win the lottery and end up buying a bigger place and a bigger setup, heh :p

I'll certainly look into the Yamahas, although at first glance the 683 only has 5 HDMI in which is 1-2 short for me :(

Anyone have an opinion on Sony for music?

Soldato
OP
yeah I would second everything what Lucid said, a (upto) £500 AVR is a bit much for Gale speakers which tbh are budget floorstanders.
Yeah fair enough. However seen as my Marantz lasted me a good >15 years I'd like to think my AVR will do the same (hence I want it to support 4k/HDR/Atmos etc.). It's possible the Gales could get upgraded in the near future.

I'm basically getting the response on AVF that AVRs are terrible for music and I should go for a stereo amp, or an AVR with pre-outs for a stereo amp. Seems very excessive given the rest of my setup. Am I really likely to hate the music from something like the Yamaha in comparison to my 15 year old Marantz? I doubt it somewhat.. :confused:

Soldato
AVR's aren't terrible for 2 channel music, of course they don't have the higher end sound of a integrated amp, but they offer a lot more features, some which you may need, HDMI, room correction, streaming etc, also if you have budget speakers you probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Pre-outs are worth it, if not for adding a power amplifier, maybe to get a 2 channel integrated amp. Better to have it, than not.

If you want a reliable AVR I'd get a Yamaha.

Man of Honour
Yeah fair enough. However seen as my Marantz lasted me a good >15 years I'd like to think my AVR will do the same (hence I want it to support 4k/HDR/Atmos etc.). It's possible the Gales could get upgraded in the near future.

I'm basically getting the response on AVF that AVRs are terrible for music and I should go for a stereo amp, or an AVR with pre-outs for a stereo amp. Seems very excessive given the rest of my setup. Am I really likely to hate the music from something like the Yamaha in comparison to my 15 year old Marantz? I doubt it somewhat.. :confused:

The rate of change of technology, no AVR is going to last 15 years. They'll still be working in 20 and 25 years, but connection formats and audio codecs and video standards are a constantly moving feast. Three or four years ago it seemed enough to have 4K scaling, and HDMI 1.4 covered that. Now you need HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 and HDR and Dolby Vision if you want to keep up with the Jones'.

The "AVRs are terrible for music" line does have some truth in it. God, I remember getting my first AVR way back. It was the award-winning Denon 3801. £800 of top spec all-singing-and-dancing multi-channel loveliness endorsed by all the mags. Absolutely incredible for movies. But bloody awful for music; and I mean fingernails-down-the-blackboard Oh-God-make-it-stop-make-it-stop awful. Lots of AVRs followed the same pattern. Mixing all that video tech and DSP signalling polluted the pure audio performance with a hash of digital noise. Lots of video circuits sharing the same power rails as the audio circuits. A laminated core transformer rather than a toroidal.. yadda yadda yadda. On top of that the guys designing AV receivers were not the same guys as making the Hi-Fi gear, so their audio expectations were different. But it wasn't universal.

Before we had HDMI or even Dolby Digital, Yamaha were one of the first to the crease with a Dolby ProLogic amplifier. Their DSP-A2070 @ £1500 in 1986-87 I think was, to all intents and purposes, a 3 channel version of a big stereo amp but with added multichannel capacity. For pure music it sounds legendary. So does the DSP-A3090 that followed it, and arguably the DSP-A1 that came after. But these were all in the £1500-£2000 price range. They were a different kettle of fish to the average AVR that came later (and cheaper) in to an ever-more crowded market.

The AV receiver market has been less concerned about music quality and more interested in the latests audio formats, and video processing and App control and more channels...and ... and ...and... The speakers that sell in the largest volume for AV use are sub/sat systems. That's because it has to "look neat". People are basing their purchase of audio gear on how well speakers can be hidden. That's like choosing a restaurant because they have nice chairs.

In absolute terms, and for the same money spent, then a decent 2 channel amp should sound better than the average AVR. But that's only if you choose the average AVR.

A few year s ago I repaired an 80's/90's classic Hi-Fi amp for a friend. It was a Creek CAS4040 s2. In the 80's this amp redefined budget Hi-Fi amplification in the same way that the Rega Planar 3 changed turntables and the Mission 70 changed speakers. It's still a good amp by today's standards too, and that's why their price is increasing. After the repair I ran it with my JM Labs speakers (£1000) and a rather nice Denon DVD/CD/SACD player that does very nicely for music. The amp is only rated at 25-30W but it puts out a lot of current and the JM Labs (Focals) are very efficient so all was good.

For a laugh I decided to hook up my AV receiver to see just how big the gulf in performance was. At the time I had a Yamaha DSP-AX761 I think. I got a bit of a shock. It wasn't such a big difference at all.

In Stereo mode and set up only to drive the main speakers full range the Yamaha was good enough that I could tell the difference between the Denon with its video circuits switched on or switched off. The difference between running some Chord £40 phono cables and the freebie phonos thrown in with bits of gear was very evident. That difference got even larger with the amp in Pure mode. Everything I'd expect from a £200-£300 Hi-Fi amp was there. I've had a play with Denons, Marantz', Onkyos, Pioneers, Arcams, Anthems, Rotels, Lexicons, TAGs, Meridians, Classe, Krell, Linns, and others. The high-end brands can do music pretty well. Budget AV receivers do suck. But once you get to around £500-£600 it's not so cut and dry. Some brands aren't great, but others - and even then not every model - are occasionally surprising.

Soldato
OP
Excellent notes sir, I appreciate the time. As for 15 years, obviously keeping a hifi amp for 15 years is rather different than keeping an AVR for 15 years, for the reasons you spoke of. Only time will tell.

Soldato
OP
Well, I'm very torn between the Sony STR-DN1080 which looks mightily impressive. Loving the fact it has Chromecast built-in (I do all my listening through Chromecast Audio via Google Music and was planning on 'upgrading' to a standard video Chromecast once I'd bought my amp, so it saves me that faff) and 6 HDMI which is what I needed.

But it seems Yamaha are the ones to go for better musical ability so the equivalent RXV683 looks pretty good apart from it's lacking 6 HDMI and Chromecast. Sounds like the Sony is a more 'polished' product too. Hmn..

Soldato
Well, I'm very torn between the Sony STR-DN1080 which looks mightily impressive. Loving the fact it has Chromecast built-in (I do all my listening through Chromecast Audio via Google Music and was planning on 'upgrading' to a standard video Chromecast once I'd bought my amp, so it saves me that faff) and 6 HDMI which is what I needed.

But it seems Yamaha are the ones to go for better musical ability so the equivalent RXV683 looks pretty good apart from it's lacking 6 HDMI and Chromecast. Sounds like the Sony is a more 'polished' product too. Hmn..

I've got a Yamaha 671 for the computer rig, with Celestion A1. Good sound for the price.

If this was my primary system I might also consider Marantz, as they have a music predigree, plus the power output from them are what they state.

Soldato
Just bought a Marantz NR1608. Sounds good. Reasons - legacy and HDMI connections. Smaller size - fits in existing location. Bluetooth. Does streaming.

Soldato
Richer sounds have got the Onkyo TX-NR676 on for £469. Might be worth a look, although it's only got 6 HDMI inputs on the back (plus one on the front), so it depends on how your system is setup.

Soldato
OP
Yeah my current stereo amp is Marantz so I was looking at them first. Unfortunately although it's slim the NR1608 is crazy-deep compared to others (376mm) and won't actually fit in my cabinet unless I take the back off. And it doesn't have CC built-in or a 3.5mm jack in for it? So I'd have to buy a 3.5mm > optical. Which is fine I guess...

Just bought a Marantz NR1608. Sounds good. Reasons - legacy and HDMI connections. Smaller size - fits in existing location. Bluetooth. Does streaming.
Why would anyone who cares about sound quality want to stream music via bluetooth :confused:

Soldato
Yeah my current stereo amp is Marantz so I was looking at them first. Unfortunately although it's slim the NR1608 is crazy-deep compared to others (376mm) and won't actually fit in my cabinet unless I take the back off. And it doesn't have CC built-in or a 3.5mm jack in for it? So I'd have to buy a 3.5mm > optical. Which is fine I guess...

Why would anyone who cares about sound quality want to stream music via bluetooth :confused:

Why would anyone who cares about music quality ditch a stereo amp in favour of an AV amp? It's a neat feature to have for background or casual listening.

Back
Top Bottom