Netgear ProSafe FSM7250RS

Associate
Hi guys, I am thinking of tidying up my bank of switches and endless cables in the loft!!

I have seen this on ebay Netgear ProSafe FSM7250RS will this be ok for a home setup for all my LAN devices.

Any suggestions would be great

Thank you

Soldato
its only 10/100 if that bothers you.

personally (and puts on flame suit) i wouldn't put netgear anywhere near my network.

whats your budget?

Soldato
Unless the OP has anything else Unifi then it would be HIDEOUSLY expensive to go with Unifi switches. Even the Ubiquiti Edge switches are massive overkill for a home network. Also, as far as I’m aware the Unifi Level 2 switches are still Beta release only. If the OP has any Unifi APs then a Unifi PoE 24 port switch would be good, but they’re almost £300. IF. You can find one as everything Unifi switch-wise is out of stock everywhere.

It does seem an odd choice for anyone on a home network.

I would be looking at TP-Link managed switches. For about £80 you should be able to get a 24 port L2/L3 Gigabit managed switch. TL-SG1024D would be my go-to switch at this level.

Soldato
until you get an issue. their customer service and support is beyond terrible.

Only had to use it once but they sent a replacement next day and was 2 versions newer than the one it was to replace. So whilst a small example, 100% satisfied with their customer service. But still don't like them in a business environment.

Soldato
Consumer purchases and business purchases are different beasties altogether. If the OP buys a used switch off eBay he’s not exactly going to be troubling Netgear support if anything goes wrong. Even if he bought a new one from OcUK then his first point of support is a OcUK, not Netgear.

Like a lot of folks on here, I use primarily UBNT and Mikrotik equipment as I want champagne on a beer budget. If you have a champagne budget then HP, Cisco, Juniper etc. is what you would aspire to. I was really shocked what you can pick up a used HP Procurve switch for on eBay. Champagne for the price of tap water!

Back
Top Bottom