Where is democracy heading..

Soldato
Where are we heading in the UK..

How about a 2 hr talk on the subject to start. Fascinating speakers.
I wish there was more of this stuff accessible to us than seems "searchable"

[youtube]ihVcrnFag1s[/youtube]

Lets try this.. https://youtu.be/ihVcrnFag1s

Media tags...
Thanks Rroff, bleddy forums, haven't been here for a while. :D

Do you have any preconceived ideas about what's going on in the world before watching.
Your thoughts..

Personally I feel like a Pleb watching with enthusiasm and trying to learn things I've never heard about before, or only heard through mainstream agenda led media outlets.
Am I even being sucked into a youtube algorithm that is one way biased...

Edit.. oh, links to YT don't work like that anymore :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't know what the questions would be though.

Varoufakis talks to some degree on the old Greek Isigoria system of democracy (In ancient Athens Isigoria was achieved by taking unparalleled (and often coercive steps to ensure that no kind of power structure biased the citizens’ Assembly in favour of some particular point of view. That one’s proposals were judged on their merit, on the basis of free dialogue, but independently of one’s: (a) wealth, (b) social standing, or even (c) rhetorical skills.")
His final remarks at the end of his speech are about whether we are going to be destined for a star Trek like Utopia where we control the machines for the greater good or whether the Rich and powerful control the machines which we are slaves to, ala, The Matrix..

Massively thought provoking

Caporegime
A two party system, like Britain's, is so far from democracy it's comical.
2h video is a bit much to commit to just now.

I don't think democracy serves anyone too well. I'd prefer a centrally planned, unelected government with professional technocrat types, that are bred to be unselfish, un wanting, thanklesslly working for everyones greater good.

It will have to come to this, or mass starvation and war for basics like water and growing soil.

Soldato
OP
You can cut it into slightly less than 1 sections if you have limited time
Varoufakis starts his speech at 11 mins in and finishes at 1 hr 2 mins
Young woman takes over then and not as easy to listen to but that's only 14 mins long starting 1hr 03 mins

Soldato
OP
Good old Ancient Greek democracy. Where everyone had a say. As long as they weren’t a slave, a woman, a foreigner, etc.
Varoufakis actually approaches this very comment in his speech. 24 mins 38 seconds in..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't know what the questions would be though.

Varoufakis talks to some degree on the old Greek Isigoria system of democracy (In ancient Athens Isigoria was achieved by taking unparalleled (and often coercive steps to ensure that no kind of power structure biased the citizens’ Assembly in favour of some particular point of view. That one’s proposals were judged on their merit, on the basis of free dialogue, but independently of one’s: (a) wealth, (b) social standing, or even (c) rhetorical skills.")
His final remarks at the end of his speech are about whether we are going to be destined for a star Trek like Utopia where we control the machines for the greater good or whether the Rich and powerful control the machines which we are slaves to, ala, The Matrix..

Massively thought provoking

I and many others have wondered if the new world will be a utopia or a very rich few controlling all the tech and thus everything.

Further, it's not long until we get connected to the Internet directly. What happens when we don't have to remember? Don't have to learn as it's all instantly accessible.

For example new and the girlfriend enjoy boardgames. Imagine knowing the exact solution etc. Will be just evolve into 'drones' because our human nature is inheritantly designed to be 'lazy'.
What happens when vr becomes so real you don't have to leave your (pod) to do stuff? No more long haul flights. I'm
sure it will beat teleportation!
Can see it already worth people's attention spans ever shorter.

I'd love to think it would be a utopia. But who knows. Worth so much power and so few controlling it. I'm not optimistic.

Dunno if I'd want to be a kid growing up now or not!

Soldato
OP
Is that part of the problem though billy, with todays instant gratification society.... If you can't get an answer in five or so minutes, people lose interest in it.
I think it is worth the watch.

Soldato
OP
In our country (UK) politics is so simple these days, wrap your idea in a union jack and people will vote to be shot if you say that it's patriotic, idiocracy!

This exact point is very well covered by the third speaker mark at 1hr 16 mins in...

Soldato
OP
Hardly anyone’s going to take a punt on a two hour video. You need a précis and to create a thread around a concise argument.
I'm not intelligent enough to put that point across well :(

OK how about a 20 minute TED talk where he says similar things with less expansion of reason and meaning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good old Ancient Greek democracy. Where everyone had a say. As long as they weren’t a slave, a woman, a foreigner, etc.

All democratic systems have qualified suffrage.

Now, if one wishes to have a discussion on what those qualifications should be, that is a different matter but qualified Suffrage =/= Not democratic.

Back
Top Bottom