• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bad time to buy a 1080ti

Caporegime
I can't think of a way Nvidia will get money from those people which is ultimately what they want. Having the best graphics card is great but I'm sure they're more concerned with sucking money from us.
They don't need to improve. They're selling all the cards they produce to miners anyhow. Gamers aren't their main focus anymore. AI/cars/HPC is, followed by miners/gamers. If miners are buying everything and AMD have nothing to compete, they can get by with Pascal and nothing else for the next 9 months at least.

Soldato
I see the 1070ti as just trying to squeeze what little amount of users left into the 10 series before they move on.
More like a precision missile to poop on the Vega56, no?

There are millions of teenagers growing up continuously and entering the market to buy/receive their first dGPU. I'm not sure NVIDIA are as focused on selling to people who already own recent high-end GPUs as you imply.

Soldato
I'd say the best time is whenever your games are running noticeably disappointing. Until that point upgrades tend to be very much a benchmarking epeen tool.

Games don't move that fast. Things like Destiny 2 are well optimised and unless you're playing at 4k then even pretty games like Assassins Creed Origins run pretty well.

I've got two Gtx1080 rigs and they are both strong at 1440p. Enough to ease my desire for a 1080ti right now anyway.

What you currently have will dictate your return on investment.

Associate
Still on a 600 series card and in a much better financial position to buy a new high end card now, so all generations, not just the 10 series, are anxiously awaiting any kind of official news.

Associate
I don't think it's a bad time to buy a 1080 Ti. I've not long bought mine. Reference models released in March 2017 and I would bet anything that we won't see an "1180 Ti" in March of this year.

Also even when the new card releases it won't make your card any worse. My plan is to just sell mine a few months after release if I'm tempted.

Everyone is different of course, but there are some people that say it's a bad time to buy an 8700k and that's only just been released a few months ago with regular stock only recently at retailers.

I was obsessed with having the latest and greatest, but now unless there's tangible gains I don't bother.

For gaming, while consoles are so far behind (and generally the focus of development) I can't see the need for changing hardware that often....

Soldato
OP
I'm mainly in greement with Aaron. Why would NV wait for AMD to launch a new graphics lineup if they're able to release their own lineup first, they can soak up all the people waiting to upgrade who can't wait for AMD, they'll be far and away the best performing cards on the market, leaving an even larger gap between them and AMD, and as 1080 sales will have wained significantly, share holders will be chomping at the bit for fresh profits after heavy R&D investment.

It's not even about making money, it's about making investors money. And when they see enormous investments made, you can be damned sure they want their pound of flesh as soon as possible.

All NV has to do is release cards that perform impressively well, with an equally impressive price tag, then if AMD produce something decent drop prices at a point when initial sales have slowed anyway. There's no way they'll release a new line of graphics cards which is 'ok'. We'll see roughly the same performance gains as each new iteration, but the prices may make yoUr eyes water, at least initially.

All waiting does is leave NV with a potential sales battle on their hands with AMD.

The 1070ti and other recently released 10 series cards are just NVs way of flogging a dead horse, bugger all development cost for yet more new product for those who haven't upgraded yet.

Associate
I share your pain, I was perusing the EVGA and Strix 1080ti with glee, and the urge to click buy with an Omen X35 or similar was very hard to resist.

I have no problem with price drops a few months down the line, or new card releases, it just means good second hand prices for SLI rather than a new gen. But when you can buy the same card 6 weeks later for almost half the price, it gets me right in the feels.

Keep me posted as to what you do mate, I can't see NV not releasing a least a top end card in 1H, so I'm watching carefully!

Will do! I will base my decision after the Nvidia Conference. If a new card is on the way 3-4 months from now and it is not that much more than the 1080ti, I will wait. But I have a feeling this won't be the case and I'll end up getting the 1080ti.

Associate
I might also add, I really want the next card to handle 4K in ultra settings with 60fps. The 1080ti more or less does that however... not on all games and mostly likely future games it won't. Therefore I am interested to see how the next generation card handles 4K on ultra. I really want a single GPU that can do 4K on ultra at 60fps!

Associate
I made the switch to 1080ti from a 980ti sli setup recently because it was the right time to make the most from my current vr setup. Spending more time in vr gaming I had a 980ti sitting doing nothing so it made sense to me to make the switch. If it wasn't for my quest for better vr performance, I'd still be on the 980ti sli setup, I think..

The 1080ti does work well for 4k/60 aswell, though.

Soldato
I would probably question if there ever was a good time to buy a GTX1080ti. The price is ridiculous.

It’s not as if we’re spoiled for choice for good games or anything. For the one or two games that may benefit from having a GTX 1080ti (for slightly higher in game settings) why not just go with the 1080 and run at high instead of ultra? It’ll cope perfectly well at 4k as long as you don’t prioritise things like shadow quality over the game itself.

Associate
I made the switch to 1080ti from a 980ti sli setup recently because it was the right time to make the most from my current vr setup. Spending more time in vr gaming I had a 980ti sitting doing nothing so it made sense to me to make the switch. If it wasn't for my quest for better vr performance, I'd still be on the 980ti sli setup, I think..

The 1080ti does work well for 4k/60 aswell, though.

Yeah, in most games it does but when you look at benchmarks for Watch Dogs 2 for example, I believe it was averaging 45fps. I still might buy it, I just need to see what this conference is about and when might the next cards come out.

I would probably question if there ever was a good time to buy a GTX1080ti. The price is ridiculous.

It’s not as if we’re spoiled for choice for good games or anything. For the one or two games that may benefit from having a GTX 1080ti (for slightly higher in game settings) why not just go with the 1080 and run at high instead of ultra? It’ll cope perfectly well at 4k as long as you don’t prioritise things like shadow quality over the game itself.

I don't like to be limited :cool:. If I can't max out everything it won't be worth upgrading for me. If I do end up getting the next generation card then I will also upgrade my CPU, currently running i56600k.

Soldato
OP

My reasoning is relatively straightforward. Running at a higher res means your card will become redundant more quickly. £/performance the 1080ti is actually rather good for overpriced hardware, has more longevity for higher resolutions, and if SLId down the road (via second hand market) is a monstrously powerful long term setup.

Associate
Yeah, in most games it does but when you look at benchmarks for Watch Dogs 2 for example, I believe it was averaging 45fps. I still might buy it, I just need to see what this conference is about and when might the next cards come out.

I can use ultra settings.. It gets a lot more than 45fps. I find deus ex mankind divided is more taxing on the 1080ti

That said I'm not saying you should buy one obviously. My main reason as said above was not for 4k gaming it made a massive difference to vr performance which is what I wanted from it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes :mad:, and I am a sucker for it...

Christ, me too. I look at my single 980 now and whisper to it ... "you disgust me".

On a serious note, when we both inevitably cave let me know the brand, one may want to sell to the other for SLI in the future, when the other inevitably caves again.

Associate
I can use default ultra settings with smaa knocked down to FXAA. It gets a lot more than 45fps.

That said I'm not saying you should buy one obviously. My main reason as said above was not for 4k gaming it made a massive difference to vr performance which is what I wanted from it.

To be honest, I don't doubt you. I think the 1080ti will meet my needs for 4k/60fps. Because I get a lot more fps on what's been reported online for my 980ti. I will probably end up getting the 1080ti, but just curious to know what's around the corner... either way as someone mentioned it before, by the time the next generation comes out + ti version, it would be at least end of the year... by then I could have used a 1080ti for a whole year!

Christ, me too. I look at my single 980 now and whisper to it ... "you disgust me".

On a serious note, when we both inevitably cave let me know the brand, one may want to sell to the other for SLI in the future, when the other inevitably caves again.

Haha! I will most likely go with the "ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING GF GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB GDDR5X". I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom