LG Smart Share and MKV?

Soldato
Hi All,

She who must be obeyed bullied me into getting a smart TV for Christmas. We ended up with an LG. I can now right-click on any media file and play to the TV, except MKV files. Apparently the TV is capable of playing MKVs so was wondering if anyone could give any tips on getting it going?

OS is server 2012 R2.

Soldato
OP
Are the MKV files H264 or H265? Do they play on a computer?

Not sure - those are compression codecs? It's whatever MakeMKV produces when ripping a DVD (MPEG2?)- there is no additional conversion carried out. But it's not an issue where I try and play and it fails - it won't let me even try to play them. The menu option isn't available when right-clicking on a file.

We have been watching them on a computer for years.

Thanks

Soldato
Not sure - those are compression codecs? It's whatever MakeMKV produces when ripping a DVD (MPEG2?)- there is no additional conversion carried out. But it's not an issue where I try and play and it fails - it won't let me even try to play them. The menu option isn't available when right-clicking on a file.

We have been watching them on a computer for years.

Thanks

If you can't see the files - are you using UPNP or server/service, or are you simply plugging the files in USB stick? Try avi first, and on a USB stick if you see and able to play them, copy MKV file on same USB stick and try again, if that works and you simply cannot see them or play them via UPNP service/server then it's other side not working, or not connected to UPNP service.

Worst case scenario you buy an external media streamer, which tbh is probably best way to go anyway, as smart functions on TV are limited to hardware/software support- if it goes out of date you are stuck, but with a seperate box simply update or replace the box every few years at £50 cost.

Soldato
OP
Hi All, thank you - perhaps I've not been clear. I am trying to stream the files to the TV, there's no USB stick involved etc. For MP3, WAV files etc. all I need to do is right click on them, select "Play to" and then select the TV. For MKV files there is no option for this when right-clicking. I don't know if it's an associations issue or what?

TV has done two updates since buying it.

Thanks

Soldato
What server program are you using to serve the content to the TV from your PC? I use a combination of Serviio and Plex, and both have on the fly transcoding enabled, so neither have any issues with streaming mkv files. Even to my 6 year old Panasonic GT30.

Soldato
if you can look at the mdeia information on your computer based player eg vlc

39471821251_bcec12f229_o_d.jpg

and post that up, then we can probably see why it fails.

The online/pdf manual for the tv will show formats it supports. (what is the tv?)

Soldato
OP
Will have to show the VLC info when I get home as it's not installed on the server but this is what I see for anything but MKV;

VTVFGF8.png

and this is what I see for MKVs:

s1sfvP6.png

As you can see the TV is an LG UJ635V

Software used is LG's Smart Share.

Soldato
What you're doing seems a little odd to me, you just need to put those MKVs on a server and let your new TV browse to them rather than using Windows to `push` to the TV.

Associate
What you're doing seems a little odd to me, you just need to put those MKVs on a server and let your new TV browse to them rather than using Windows to `push` to the TV.
this, your trying to play/cast to the tv from the server (may be install plex server on your server, plex client on tv)
you need to browse from the tv to the server (dlna service needed on the server, kodi can run this by default) select file and play

Soldato
As said above, looks a strange way of doing things, pushing from the server to the TV. Instal a DLNA server, such as Plex or Serviio (or KODI, although I know nothing about this). Then you can browse the movies from the TV rather than pushing from the server.

If you use something like Serviio then you wont likely need to install anything else on your TV. You just set it up to monitor whatever folders have the content you want to share to the TV (so for movies, you direct it to your movies folder, for tv shows, the tv show folder, music, pictures etc...), then you should be able to view the service from the inbuilt media player. PLEX has it's own, in-built DLNA server too, so you don't specifically NEED to install it on your TV, however, you do get a nicer interface if you use the PLEX app. Sometimes I don't bother though, as if I know exactly where my content is, I often find it faster to just browse by folder straight to the movie.

Soldato
OP
First - codecs:

NAonPIh.png

Second, I disagree about the method, it's a lot easier than using the TV as the controlling device - we sit with our laptops with us, so all we have to do is find the file and play it. Either of us can do it easily. To do it via the TV we would have to navigate with the remote, or buy a keyboard for it and then that's an extra device to keep charged etc. It's so easy to play a file the way we are doing it. Just no MKVs... yet :(

Soldato
Even though you dont want to do it this way - what happens when you browse to the file from your TV does it play ? Are you on the latest firmware too as I notice there was one released 06/12/2017 and there is mention of this in the user guide

Some codecs can be supported after a software upgrade.
Extension Codec
mkv / mp4 / ts Video H.264/AVC, HEVC
Audio Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, AAC

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Soldato
as eyerex said you may need to change container,
at least, this lg docs http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1435836452324-others

does not show mpeg2 or AC3/DTS support in the mp4 container just H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, HEVC and audio AAC, MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3)

but mkv has MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264/AVC, VP8, VP9, HEVC and audio Dolby Digital, PCM, DTS, MPEG-1 Layer I, II, MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3), AAC

maybe there is an update to the doc though.

Soldato
OP
Even though you dont want to do it this way - what happens when you browse to the file from your TV does it play ? Are you on the latest firmware too as I notice there was one released 06/12/2017 and there is mention of this in the user guide

Just a thought.

Yes they play. Bit long winded to get there as per above.

Soldato
OP
as eyerex said you may need to change container,
at least, this lg docs http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1435836452324-others

does not show mpeg2 or AC3/DTS support in the mp4 container just H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, HEVC and audio AAC, MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3)

but mkv has MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264/AVC, VP8, VP9, HEVC and audio Dolby Digital, PCM, DTS, MPEG-1 Layer I, II, MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3), AAC

maybe there is an update to the doc though.

I missed the change container - I can try that I guess to see if it works. The MP4s are crappy downloads - MPEG4 and AAC mp4a audio. Sooner I can get real DVDs and rip them the better.

Associate
its hard to tell from your screenshots, it looks like you're using explorer then right clicking on the file (browsing the file shares then right clicking the file?)then selecting play to

what os are the laptops (win 10 supports cast to for mkv mp4), does it happen from both of them?
does a mkv cast directly from the laptops?

Back
Top Bottom