Taking GTX 1080s to the US and back... import costs(?)

Soldato
Well, I am going the US (then Germany) for a couple of weeks. I am taking a couple of GTX 1080s with me, how do you prove you didn't buy them whilst I was in the US and then trying to bring them back into the UK without paying the fees?

I have thought of taking pictures whilst here so they are dated, will this be enough? Is it on me to prove I didn't buy them there or is it on them to prove I did?

I don't have receipts for the 1080s.

ideas welcome!

Soldato
My question would be would they even be bothered with this? I assume you were gifted these? Do you have any proof of where they came from? Emails between sponsors etc?

Soldato
Well, I am going the US (then Germany) for a couple of weeks. I am taking a couple of GTX 1080s with me, how do you prove you didn't buy them whilst I was in the US and then trying to bring them back into the UK without paying the fees?

I have thought of taking pictures whilst here so they are dated, will this be enough? Is it on me to prove I didn't buy them there or is it on them to prove I did?

I don't have receipts for the 1080s.

ideas welcome!

This wont be an issue. I buy all of my stuff from the US when I travel.

I purchased a GTX1080ti, GTX1070, Razer Deathadder Keyboard and an Ipad Pro on my last trip.

Technically I should pay duty, but I tend to just open the boxes a little to make them look 'used' and whisk through.

I got stopped one year for a random check when I had a couple of 980s on me. Zero issue.

Soldato
OP
My question would be would they even be bothered with this? I assume you were gifted these? Do you have any proof of where they came from? Emails between sponsors etc?

Yup, I have had friends who have had to pay when bringing things into the UK, but he did buy them there (although I am not sure if he told them that or not).

Yes, I have been given these by sponsors. I *Might* have the emails somewhere and I certainly have plenty of pics on social media etc... I guess I will get some more pics and see if I can find the emails. I suppose I can just say they are for work (which is true) and maybe take a pic with them actually at gatwick airport before I fly haha

Soldato
Write out a little inventory for insurance purposes and have it dated and signed by a witness, probably mean diddly squat legally but might make you feel better :p

Soldato
OP
Taking pictures? Dated? You mean the date set in the camera that anyone can change to whatever they want and therefore means nothing?

then upload them ofc. it is pretty easy to show something was from before the flight (emailing it to myself would also work)... just not sure if it would be accepted by them

Last edited:
Caporegime
Problem is any metadata such as the date an email was sent/received is really easy to manipulate so I can't see that sort of evidence as being acceptable, I personally wouldn't accept it. Something like a bank statement showing the transaction is actually something that is verifiable with a 3rd party.

Permabanned
I think that it's great you are so committed to your graphics cards that you even take them abroad with you. I sometimes take my CPU out for a walk in the park.

Soldato
Problem is any metadata such as the date an email was sent/received is really easy to manipulate so I can't see that sort of evidence as being acceptable, I personally wouldn't accept it. Something like a bank statement showing the transaction is actually something that is verifiable with a 3rd party.
Are they really likely to care that much they'd suspect you of manipulating email records to avoid a relatively small customs bill? We're hardly talking about proving something beyond reasonable doubt in a courtroom

Caporegime
Are they really likely to care that much they'd suspect you of manipulating email records to avoid a relatively small customs bill? We're hardly talking about proving something beyond reasonable doubt in a courtroom

Well if they care enough to actually ask for evidence for such a small customs bill, it seems that they might require certain types of evidence. Lets be honest normally you'd expect someone to be able to produce a receipt for something expensive they've bought.

Associate
Check with the border people / gov (not sure where), when I left here ( Canada) to go home to the UK, I went to the Customs office at the airport before I left one time with all the stuff I usually take (Camera, lenses, laptop etc) and they have an official card they will fill in with serial numbers / model and stamp it. I carry this with me whenever I leave the country (even just across to the US for a day), as proof of what I took out rather than bought elsewhere. Never been asked for it but I have it just in case.

Soldato
OP
haha, it isn't a holiday :p I have to go CES, then Nvidia HQ, then to see some modders, then to Germany, then come home... trust me, if I didn't have to take my beauts with me I wouldn't.

Tbh, I guess them being covered in dust will be a good indicator that they're not new :D

Soldato
haha, it isn't a holiday :p I have to go CES, then Nvidia HQ, then to see some modders, then to Germany, then come home... trust me, if I didn't have to take my beauts with me I wouldn't.

Tbh, I guess them being covered in dust will be a good indicator that they're not new :D

I heard Nvidia had a hard time getting graphics cards. They must not know where to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom