Graphics update advice

Soldato
Hey All,

So I have just done a fresh windows install and am updating my graphics driver.

I use my TV as my monitor and it won't support over 30mhz (well it will but I only have an HDMI 1 cable which won't support it), but when updating the graphics it automatically sets it to 60mhz. Therefore as it installs my screen goes blank and won't show anything on it.

I'll get a new cable on order as I have to have quite a long one for my living room, but that won't help me in the short term. Does anyone know how to update my graphics driver with out it forcing the refresh rate to 60mhz?

Man of Honour
you need hdmi 2.0 ports (on both tv and pc) to connect 4k@60hz. hdmi 1.4 only supports 4k@30hz.
alternatively tried the dp port?
or bump down windows resolution to 1080 whilst you install the driver

Soldato
OP
you need hdmi 2.0 ports (on both tv and pc) to connect 4k@60hz. hdmi 1.4 only supports 4k@30hz.
alternatively tried the dp port?
or bump down windows resolution to 1080 whilst you install the driver

Yeah its an HDMI 1.4 cable, I understand this is the issue but since I am using the 'driver' that comes with a fresh install of windows, as soon as I go to install the NVIDIA drivers it forces the display into 60hz and I lose the image. I'll be purchasing a new cable but I wanted to see if their was a resolution in the time being

Man of Honour
Yeah its an HDMI 1.4 cable
there's no such thing as hdmi 1.4 cable or hdmi 2.0 cable, its either high speed or standard speed cable. if your cable is high speed then it'll support 4k@60hz
which gpu are you using? and does your tv have a hdmi 2.0 port?

Soldato
OP
there's no such thing as hdmi 1.4 cable or hdmi 2.0 cable, its either high speed or standard speed cable. if your cable is high speed then it'll support 4k@60hz
which gpu are you using? and does your tv have a hdmi 2.0 port?

Yea I gotcha, the cable is 3 years old now so pretty sure it's just standard speed. TV does have an HDMI 2 port and I'm using an Asus nvidia 1070, it's plugged into the main HDMI port in the TV also

Soldato
OP
Okay so fixed the problem! Took some time and no answers on the first page of Google.

So every time I entered safe mode I couldn't get the new resolution to stick when I entered non safe mode windows. Eventually in safe mode I used msconfig and under boot selected the option base video. Turned safe mode off, restarted and finally I got my computer to boot with a beautiful 800 x 600 resolution or something similar. Then from there I opened the nvidia control centre, set the new resolution to something I could use and hey presto it was fixed!

Back
Top Bottom