Epidemic of colds going around at the moment

Soldato
I would say it has been a bit worse for it this year. Ive had it, and a couple of colleagues have had it as well. Im still not right now (first symptoms on xmas day). Keep coughing uncontrollably. Its a right git.

Man of Honour
I would say it has been a bit worse for it this year. Ive had it, and a couple of colleagues have had it as well. Im still not right now (first symptoms on xmas day). Keep coughing uncontrollably. Its a right git.

Its a funny one as I think its the same virus but some people are completely flattened by it while others just have a moderately bad sore throat - its far from the worst I've had - and a little run down maybe one day where you have to stay in bed tops. I've not seen it seem to effect people to either one of an extreme so much before. Usually you get a good spread of how badly people are effected but this seems to either knock people for six or be a bit of an inconvenience and little in-between.

Soldato
Dan, do we think we could be nearing a 28 Days Later scenario in Manchester? I'm looking at the cat and she's looking tasty...
32 posts later and not a single "eating pussy" quip, standards of GD are falling :(

i've not had the flu thing, had a niggly throat before xmas ~it never developed into a proper sore one [i ****** hate sore throats] but something dropped down into my chest/lungs and gave me a godawful cough for a few days.
i used to get regular coughs/sickness when i was younger, got hammered one year and ended up accidentally overdosing on Benylin; took a dose from a beaker thing, then a couple hours later took another and went to bed. woke up literally soaked w/ sweat but the germs never knew what hit them and i was right as the mail the next day - turned out it was the wrong dose beaker and i'd taken a triple dose both time :D
when i was doing aikido a guy touted the virtues of cod liver oil capsules, started taking them and never had a cold/sniffle for about 20 years until we moved into a closed-air building that was essentially just a germ factory. now i sit by a window but people all around are snotting and sniffing all day [swear to christ people don't know what a hanky is or how they should be used :mad:]. still do the CLO, and i take a vit C tablet every day, 2 if i'm feeling a bit at risk.

Caporegime
^ this. I've always had a bad immune system but for the past few years I do 4g vitamin C everyday and I haven't had a single cold. My work is full of workaholics that will come in no matter what so the bugs are plentiful but I am totally resistant now.
Isn’t 4g too much? I thought the upper limit was 2g or you risk diarrhoea and nausea.

Soldato
Half my office were coughing and spluttering before Christmas, I thought I'd gotten away with it but by the evening of the Friday before Christmas I started to get a sore throat. I've been ill ever since. its all in my head and chest. I'm dizzy and my eyes are strained like hell as its really hard to focus. I can only assume its some sort of nasty virus.

Soldato
I came down with something on Boxing Day which pretty much destroyed me. I spent 3 days in bed just sleeping and I'm still recovering now. I really want to get my 2018 cycling year kicked off but i'm feeling so weak just being awake is enough.

Soldato
I think there is definitely a nastier than usual cold going around this year. Usually I can handle colds pretty well but the one I just had knocked me for six! Managed to get away with only one day off work which is good but the long weekend off leading up to NYE was lost :(. There are several off from just my department with it too (I wasn't the first so am not the plague bearer lol)

Soldato
Anyone else had the 5 week cold? I call it that because thats how long it lasts. It feels like its going away but it keeps comes back for more. Never thought I was going to get rid of it. That was a month or two ago kept waking up in the middle of the night choking on phlegm. Got through two courses of antibiotics with that one. I'm not the only one others have had exactly the same symptoms theres a large thread on another forum.

Earlier in the year I had Norovirus. Didn't think it was possible to vomit so many times in one day that was really nasty but at least it only lasted a week or less. Its been quite the year.

Soldato
Anyone else had the 5 week cold? I call it that because thats how long it lasts. It feels like its going away but it keeps comes back for more. Never thought I was going to get rid of it. That was a month or two ago kept waking up in the middle of the night choking on phlegm. Got through two courses of antibiotics with that one. I'm not the only one others have had exactly the same symptoms theres a large thread on another forum.

Earlier in the year I had Norovirus. Didn't think it was possible to vomit so many times in one day that was really nasty but at least it only lasted a week or less. Its been quite the year.
Why the antibiotics?

Associate
Isn’t 4g too much? I thought the upper limit was 2g or you risk diarrhoea and nausea.

There's weird information out there telling you a whole range of amounts that are deemed safe, but some of the papers showing 10 grams of vitamin C can do a shed load of good for people with auto immune diseases and the like, with no side effects. I have an IBD and you'd think if a splosh of milk would give me toilet trouble, 4g of vitamin C certainly should too right? It makes me feel better and seems to make me bug-resistant in the process with no nausea or stomach issues.

Associate
First proper cold to lay me out for 8 years, hit me hard over Christmas. never has a sore throat as bad as this ever so painful to swallow.

I'd say 30% of the people in my 2 villages have this now or have had it...

Man of Honour
I came down with something on Boxing Day which pretty much destroyed me. I spent 3 days in bed just sleeping and I'm still recovering now. I really want to get my 2018 cycling year kicked off but i'm feeling so weak just being awake is enough.

I took 4 days off work sick. 7 days total, since I had 3 days I wasn't due to work around those 4 that I was. I'm feeling a lot better today, so I decided to try a bit of exercise. After 20 pushups, I had to sit down for 5 minutes to recover. I could feel my pulse hammering in my throat. It was like I'd overdone it on a treadmill or bike. It's ridiculous.

On the plus side, the fact that I'm no longer too ill to care is a big improvement. I'm not looking forward to working a 12-13 hour shift tomorrow, though.

Soldato
Have heard a lot about this cold/flu going around,i personally haven't had a cold for 13 months now but late in 2016 it did hit me hard with a week of work,worst case of flu ive ever had.

Associate
Cold update - This is how I look and feel this morning:

Particular emphasis on the eye bags which look exactly like mine. Luckily I'm permitted to work from home today and only for 6 hours. I would have called in sick otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom