Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hi Peeps,

Heres a slightly daft question, are NVR's universal, ie will they work with all ip cams, i have some budget Dahua's, that im going to use in place of my old analogue system, but i'll need to buy a NVR with POE, but im wondering if its ok to buy, say a Hik, and use different cams?

Any recommendations for 8ch NVR with POE that doesnt cost a bomb?

Soldato
I was contemplating replacing my ancient RAID enclosure with a NAS unit which lead me on to Synology's website, NVR's and now I'm perplexed as to whether I should have both separate NAS & NVR units or look to just build a multipurpose rig to serve as a NAS and NVR :confused:

I would like to set up a few cameras (probably 4) in the future so figured buying something capable in that regard makes sense.

My needs are pretty basic: TimeMachine backups, file storage & streaming and CCTV (eventually). Being able to access this remotely would be a bonus but isn't really essential.

Soldato
I've installed my DS-7204HUHI-F1/N with 4 x 3MP analogue cameras but I noticed that it also supports 2 more IP cameras. Can I just buy pretty much any ONVIF compatible IP camera or are Hikvisions ones recommended?
Ideally I'd get wifi ones for ease of installation.

Soldato
I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the two IP cameras have to be hikvision. I'd check the part where you add new cameras and make sure that onvif is an option there.

Soldato
I was contemplating replacing my ancient RAID enclosure with a NAS unit which lead me on to Synology's website, NVR's and now I'm perplexed as to whether I should have both separate NAS & NVR units or look to just build a multipurpose rig to serve as a NAS and NVR :confused:

I would like to set up a few cameras (probably 4) in the future so figured buying something capable in that regard makes sense.

My needs are pretty basic: TimeMachine backups, file storage & streaming and CCTV (eventually). Being able to access this remotely would be a bonus but isn't really essential.

A nas will handle all that fine.

I have a qnap nas which either does, or can do all that and it looks after 3 IP cameras. It's really flexible and easy to setup. Depends on which model you get as to how many cameras you can use out the box. Mine allowed two and I had to pay £30 to add an extra camera licence. Dedicated app is ok, and having used an nvr previously no better or worst than most other apps I've seen.

Soldato
A nas will handle all that fine.

I have a qnap nas which either does, or can do all that and it looks after 3 IP cameras. It's really flexible and easy to setup. Depends on which model you get as to how many cameras you can use out the box. Mine allowed two and I had to pay £30 to add an extra camera licence. Dedicated app is ok, and having used an nvr previously no better or worst than most other apps I've seen.

That's great, thanks. Since my original post I picked up a DS218j and 2 x 3TB WD Red Drives. It has licences for 2 IP cameras which will give me front, back & garage coverage. As you say additional licenses are around £45 but think 2 cameras will do me fine for now as it's mostly peace of mind rather than being in a high risk area and needing a deterrent. :)

Are these the camera's that everyone recommends? I know it'll vary by requirement, angle, environment etc. We have street lights out the front and one wall light on the coach house car parking area behind (15-20m away) so it's far from pitch black out there after dark.

https://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/ipc-d14...k10-dome-camera-with-30m-night-vision-and-poe

Soldato
Those are the new HiWatch range from Hikvision. Not sure what to make of them but they are cheaper compared to their professional range that used to be sold to the public.

Unless you have some reason to have a dome, always go for turret.

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend a basic two camera (preferably WiFi) and software setup? I have a NAS that is like to use to record to as it’s just sat idle.

I’m currently using two Camnoopy cams and tried to link them with iSpy via Onvif but it’s flakey, video quality is awful and now I can’t get the camera to connect.

Associate
Can anyone recommend a basic two camera (preferably WiFi) and software setup? I have a NAS that is like to use to record to as it’s just sat idle.

It won't use your NAS, but I've been using two Logitech Circle 2 cameras and been impressed. You get 24 hours of recording free (more if you subscribe), a decent mobile app, live viewing and activity notifications.

They connect via WiFi, are weatherproof and have wired and battery versions. Not as good as a dedicated set up, but pretty good for the money I've found so far.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Those are the new HiWatch range from Hikvision. Not sure what to make of them but they are cheaper compared to their professional range that used to be sold to the public.

Hmm, I know very little about CCTV cameras other than I've been putting off getting some set-up for about 3 years.

Comparing say the HiWatch IPC-B140 to the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I, they're both priced pretty much the same (~£80) and largely have very similar specs (same aperture, megapixels, IR distance, PoE etc). I'm guessing the true Hikvision has a better sensor, but it looks like on paper they're largely just as good? Which if true, is really encouraging.

Soldato

Thanks, I'll look in to some turret options. Presumably viewing angles aren't much different. Enlighten me, in which scenario would a dome be preferential? :)

Soldato
Domes are only needed to prevent someone from moving the camera if they are easily accessed as the cover prevents access to the lens.

However they are a nightmare for glare especially at night under IR. Turrets have no glare issues and most of EXIR cams have little hassle with spiders and their cobwebs.

Stay away from bullet cams.

Soldato
Domes are only needed to prevent someone from moving the camera if they are easily accessed as the cover prevents access to the lens.

However they are a nightmare for glare especially at night under IR. Turrets have no glare issues and most of EXIR cams have little hassle with spiders and their cobwebs.

Stay away from bullet cams.

Super, thanks. Mine will be on the soffit of the second storey so well out of reach.

Soldato
The only issue I see now with buying Hikvision is that apparently their support won't give you unlock codes if you forget your camera's password unless you have proof you got it from an authorised re-seller.

Never had to call them myself but there are anecdotes of people finding themselves with a brick.

Still, can't fault my cameras and hopefully will never lock myself out of them!

Soldato
Could anyone confirm if the TP-Link TL-SG1008P switch is suitable for use with Hikvision cameras? (Most likely the DS-2CD2342WD-I)

I'm pretty certain this is a Gigabit switch too and just that 4 of the 8 ports are 10/100 PoE, is that right? :)

(Edit: The SF1008P is 10/100 only, the SG is 10/100/1000)

Recommendations for Cat5e cable too please :cool:

We have plenty at work... but they're all off cuts so not much good :p My forum search-fu dug out @bledd's recommendation for here. Not sure if this is still current or there is another favoured retailer? None of it will be exposed outside, all within the roof & soffits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom