Will my old PSU support latest MB?

Nor

Nor

Associate
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade - it's about time!

Wondering if my current PSU will support the latest Motherboards. It's a Quiet PC PSU

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply

Bought in 2009.

Many thanks

Associate
Should be fine, from what i could find it has the usual 20/24pin, 4pin + 8pin connectors
so as far as plugging it in it should be fine..

my concern would be whether its degraded over time

however it would all depend on whats going into the upgrade, 550w might not be enough

Soldato
It's been over decade since any new connectors were introduced.
Though ATX spec itself has been updated couple times and design of ATX 2.2 PSU is plain medieval by todays standards.

But biggest concern is its condition.
If you've used PC lot components are likely seriously worn.
BeQuiet hasn't used best components that much.

What kind parts you have in PC or are going to put into PC?
Surely wouldn't put any expensive parts behind that PSU myself.

Soldato
FSP make the internals for that PSU and it's platinum rated(and ATX 2.2), it'll probably hold just fine for now unless you're planning to add a power hungry GPU in the near future i'd not worry about it just yet.

Man of Honour
A 2009 Be Quiet Dark Power Pro would not have been Platinum rated, more like bronze or maybe silver rated. The 2010 Dark Power Pro P8 was only silver rated. Like most of their PSU's it was made by FSP though that's not neccessarily a good thing as their psu's were patchy back then.

Soldato
The Pro P8 lineup didn't have a 550W model as far as i can tell pasty. The straight power lineup did, but then it wouldn't match the description OP has provided, it definitely won't be the P11 as i incorrectly assumed earlier though(that'll teach me for quick-googling a description), given the age.

Could possibly be BQT P7-PRO-550W i guess, bit harder to find info on but coincides with the age. Assuming it is that PSU an upgrade really wouldn't go a miss at this point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom