DELETED_3139

Soldato
Thanks for this. We only have 1 Opteron (not Operton right :p?) based server at work and haven't yet installed the update due to how critical it's needed, but I'll hold off on the update for now. Luckily, the system itself is pretty isolated so no major concerns for Spectre/Meltdown.

Soldato
Warning of possibility the latest Microsoft KB4056894 update which I think its the one for the Intel/AMD exploit when installed on a Windows Server 2008R2 x64 (otherwise fully upto dated) with dual AMD Operton CPU's caused a STOP error on reboot.

This latest Microsoft fixed bluescreened one of my company servers and nothing I tried would get it to boot, safe mode=no, DSRM=no, last known good configuration=no, just got STOP 0x000000c4 each time within a second of main boot.

In my case it was on a HP Proliant DL385 G2 with AMD Operton CPU's thats a DC and Exchange server so it was important to get it up and running and ideally not loose todays emails. Our other proliant DL380's all with Intel Xeon's took the update and rebooted with no issues so think its restricted to AMD or specially Operton CPU.

Have spent a few hours trying various things without luck trying to fix it from recovery console command prompt and finally found a way to uninstall the update from this command line and once done it booted up fine. I've now rechecked Windows update, the KB4056894 is appearing again as an important update but this time its getting HIDDEN :(

For reference, the command I needed was (note when in recovery mode my servers usual C: OS drive with Windows etc showed up as e: drive

Code:
dism /image:e:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7601.24002.1.4 /scratchdir:e:\temp

To list installed updates you can use this command. Luckily the only item installed with todays date was at the bottom of the long list it generates

Code:
dism /image:e:\ /get-packages /format:table /scratchdir:e:\temp
did you not get a statement from your MS/AV provider?

lot of AV's need to be updated to edit registry keys & not cause major issues, over wise you will see BSOD after the updates. caused by the AV solutions :D

Linux works ok of course.. :)

Soldato
did you not get a statement from your MS/AV provider?

lot of AV's need to be updated to edit registry keys & not cause major issues, over wise you will see BSOD after the updates. caused by the AV solutions :D

Linux works ok of course.. :)
This isn't linked to AV's, the update on older AMD CPU systems is causing blue screens...

V F

V F

Soldato
true, but AV's are also causing BSOD this is even on Intel CPU's so dont apply the update willynilly.

I have disabled Windows Update on my Windows 10 systems for now until I see what happens. Windows 7 is check for updates but I see one of these is available. I can’t be bothered with annoying issues with things not fully tested right now. I don’t need headaches if things go wrong with these patches.

Soldato
Soldato
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/1...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Microsoft halts AMD Meltdown and Spectre patches after reports of unbootable PCs
Microsoft blames AMD’s documentation

Microsoft has paused distributing its Meltdown and Spectre security updates for AMD machines after reports of PCs not booting. Microsoft’s support forums have been full of complaints from PC owners with AMD processors, and the software giant has acknowledged the issues today. Microsoft is blaming AMD’s documentation for the unexpected problems.

“Microsoft has reports of customers with some AMD devices getting into an unbootable state after installing recent Windows operating system security updates,” says a Microsoft spokesperson. “After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.”

Microsoft is now preventing AMD PCs from receiving updates, to stop machines from getting into an unbootable state. Microsoft is working with AMD to resolve the problems and continue issuing updates to AMD PCs soon, and affected owners will need to visit Microsoft’s support site for fixes to get machines back into a bootable state. The hiccup is an embarrassing issue for both AMD and Microsoft, just as the industry as a whole continues to deal with the fallout from the Meltdown and Spectre CPU flaws.

Looking here, it seems to be K8 based CPUs that are suffering the issue. Quick seach on OP's server model seems to point the Opteron in his server is K8 based. Need to check mine, can't remember if it's K8 or K10 based.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Aren’t all journalists?

Some are worse than others, talk about fact checking, i don't know where they got this information from but had they even read more than two lines of whatever the source was it would have looked pretty much the same as all the rest of them do, IE making it clear its only 10 year old Athlon CPU's that are affected.

Tom Warren really is the most useless journalists on the net, everyone but him at least got the facts right.

Back
Top Bottom