Working 2 Jobs

Sho

Sho

Soldato
And then your second job is easier physically and mentally. Second job is working say cleaning a home.

Plus having more jobs mean you have more contacts, your seocnd job could help you with others, or replace the ones you don't like, or maybe just casual worker or cash in hand. Or simply just meeting new people making new friends, or getting perks in the other jobs.

Whole reason why i have a second/part time job ( Well i class it my main job, always have and always will) it pays my Mortgage and council tax bill plus enough spending money for the rest of the month. And i havnt even touched my full time wage.
Second, all i do is watch football at work :p and god knows how many brews i have while im at work.. There are other perks too:D

Soldato
OP
Well I've done the deed, being open and honest.

Once I know more of the in's and outs of job 2, I can let job 1 know more, re times days, and if i'd need any time off so there are no conflicts or potential of loss of work, as I cannot exceed a x amount of weeks period without offering for a shift, so there is that to bear in mind.

:)

Man of Honour
There is no reason to inform your current work place. Providing that hours don't clash, and you have a minimum of 11 hour gap between both jobs you're fine.

I too have 2 jobs. Been doing it since 2006, I have not informed HR/managers etc at both jobs. Don't need to and won't ever give them that information.

I had 2 jobs for a while, but it was nothing like the situations being discussed here.
I was working for Royal Mail as a driver while doing The Knowledge to gain my London Black Cab driver’s licence.
When I ‘passed out’, I rented a Black Cab, and would drive to the Nine Elms, SW London depot where I worked.
The shifts consisted of 6hrs 36 mins, and starting times were weird, you could start at 05.19, and finish at 12.55, which included a total of one hour of breaks, or at any time, e.g. 11.17 and finish at 18.53.
As soon as I clocked out, I’d put the TAXI light on, and head over Vauxhall Bridge toward Victoria and earn a few quid in 4 or 5 hours, then go home.
The depot management knew what I was doing, but as long as I did my job there, it was okay, it was the guys I worked with who weren’t happy, it got up their noses that I was earning more than them, and when two one day strikes were called for some obscure reason, they wanted the Union of Communication Workers to sanction me for working the cab instead of picketing the depot gates.
After about 6 months, I came to realise what I could pull down with the cab, and that working for Royal Mail was impeding that, so I gave in my notice and quit.

Soldato
I know someone who works a full time day job with decent salary and also works 2 evenings a week in a social club bar. One reason - they want money to enable them to do things and pay for things and get them ahead, like the Sho above.

It's OK saying things like you should do free work for your current boss to to try and get a promotion etc but that's not possible in a lot of jobs. Some jobs have low turn over of staff and you could be waiting years for a promotion. Unless of course you work in the public sector on a non job and they think up a new position with pay rise specially for you because they like you.

Also this minimum time between shifts isn't law, just advisory. Where I work you could be finishing at 10pm and be back in at 6am the next day, obviously this isn't everyday but it is agreed by the Union. So it would be perfectly fine for someone to work 9-5 in their "day job" then go and do an evening part-time job say 7pm-11pm a few of evenings a week.

Man of Honour
Also this minimum time between shifts isn't law, just advisory. Where I work you could be finishing at 10pm and be back in at 6am the next day, obviously this isn't everyday but it is agreed by the Union. So it would be perfectly fine for someone to work 9-5 in their "day job" then go and do an evening part-time job say 7pm-11pm a few of evenings a week.

Not true (depending a bit how you mean it) - unless you opt out of the WTD an employer is still obligated to give you 11 hours between shifts though in some cases this can be averaged over a longer time period.

There isn't a law that forbids you as a person in the context of two jobs but you may have to opt out of the WTD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not true - unless you opt out of the WTD an employer is still obligated to give you 11 hours between shifts though in some cases this can be averaged over a longer time period.

There isn't a law that forbids you as a person in the context of shifts for two jobs but you may have to opt out of the WTD.

So exactly what I said then. The 10pm finish 6am start isn't every day, only once a week or twice a week for some staff but other days they might finish at 3pm and not be in work again until 1pm the next day.

Someone who wants to work 2 jobs for the money will opt in or out of the WTD as they see fit, surely not.

Caporegime
It's OK saying things like you should do free work for your current boss to to try and get a promotion etc but that's not possible in a lot of jobs.

Then change jobs or spend the extra time getting new skills... working some min wage job for "extra money" is likely to be an inefficient use of time in plenty of cases.

Man of Honour
So exactly what I said then. The 10pm finish 6am start isn't every day, only once a week or twice a week for some staff but other days they might finish at 3pm and not be in work again until 1pm the next day.

Someone who wants to work 2 jobs for the money will opt in or out of the WTD as they see fit, surely not.

I'd have to consult the handbook to be certain as there are some exemptions for collective agreements but fairly sure what you are describing isn't legal.

Soldato
Working 2 jobs is trying too hard to make a living, you must be barely getting by. It'll drive you crazy if you let it.

No, it's about earning as much as I can. I've hardly got any outgoings. Also I've got other jobs, even if 6 month casual by having more than one job. If I didn't have my 2nd job, I wouldn't have worked the casual job for 6 months.

Soldato
It’s more a case of trying out job 2 and seeing where it leads. If all goes well and get a full time contract. then I can hand in my notice at job 1

No, it's about earning as much as I can. I've hardly got any outgoings. Also I've got other jobs, even if 6 month casual by having more than one job. If I didn't have my 2nd job, I wouldn't have worked the casual job for 6 months.

You seem to have poured yourselves a cup of ambition. Of course, there's a better life, and you dream about it. You would think working 2 jobs that you'd deserve a fat promotion, however they'll just use you and never give you credit.

It's enough to drive you crazy if you let it.

Soldato
It's retail, unless you brown nose, or a relative of a manager, nothing much happens. Also from one job pretty much from the start they took the contract they were looking at demoting me, they just didn't want a supervisor on the site, they wanted to manage things from head office. Eventually it happened.

Soldato
How does PAYE work if you have 2 jobs and you haven't told them? Do you have to self assess?

This is a good point and worthy of a note of caution. If each employer’s payroll is going to think you only work there you’ll be taxed as such at source. So for example both will give you the initial tax free allowance. That means at the end of the year you will owe a chunk of tax if you earn more than the tax free amount across both jobs added together. In all likelihood you’ll not get flagged to fill out a self assessment unless you volunteer to do so. Then if that continues for years and they catch up with you then you have a massive tax bill.

That still doesn’t mean you have to tell each employer (unless a contract obligates you to do so) but just be sure you know the amount of tax you should be paying and then volunteer to self assess each year and have the money set aside as you earn it.

Soldato
It's retail, unless you brown nose, or a relative of a manager, nothing much happens. Also from one job pretty much from the start they took the contract they were looking at demoting me, they just didn't want a supervisor on the site, they wanted to manage things from head office. Eventually it happened.

Yep, it's all taking and no giving.

Caporegime
If it’s just a short term thing for some extra cash then fine but long term then as @dowie has said, why not just spend 8-16hours a week doing an open university degree or studying various other qualifications, that could lead to a career or role where you will likely earn a similar or greater amount, and it’ll likely be more rewarding and less taxing.

Bring into account things like relationships, kids or hobbies and it just isn’t feasible long term unless you just want to live to work.

Soldato
OP
Three years ago I did SIA training in both door supervisor and cctv. I went to interviews for security jobs within a retail environment. And was told this is nothing like your sales assistant job. Great. Then there’s others you have no experience. How to get experience if no employer is willing? I have renewed these licenses recently despite having never used them. Seems a waste?

Soldato
Three years ago I did SIA training in both door supervisor and cctv. I went to interviews for security jobs within a retail environment. And was told this is nothing like your sales assistant job. Great. Then there’s others you have no experience. How to get experience if no employer is willing? I have renewed these licenses recently despite having never used them. Seems a waste?

It's often easier to jump into a different role within a company you're already employed by.

On paper most of my team wouldn't have got an interview for the role they now have.

Because I knew of them from good reports from their existing managers and having been aware of them for some time, as opposed to a CV and an hour interview where some people might not come across well due to nerves etc, I gave them a chance.

So far we're pretty happy with every one of them, one of them is absolutely going to go a long way and I see him being in my shoes in years to come, probably further!

Soldato
Then change jobs or spend the extra time getting new skills... working some min wage job for "extra money" is likely to be an inefficient use of time in plenty of cases.

Maybe I will change jobs when the right job comes along while the easy 2nd job was already there for the taking. Maybe I also do 3 evenings a week on a course for extra skills on the nights I'm not doing the 2nd job. Everyone's situation is different.

I'd have to consult the handbook to be certain as there are some exemptions for collective agreements but fairly sure what you are describing isn't legal.

This is a large national PLC company and it's stated in the employee handbook, which forms part of the contract, that late finishes and early starts are required when needed but you will get extra time off another day etc.

Back
Top Bottom