Working 2 Jobs

Soldato
More of an observation than anything else - but unless you are really really up there in the top few percent of employees and have a really good job - the only way to have a really good income seems to be if you work for yourself / run your own business

Soldato
More of an observation than anything else - but unless you are really really up there in the top few percent of employees and have a really good job - the only way to have a really good income seems to be if you work for yourself / run your own business

Saying that, I work with someone who was a area manager, and now on NMW, he says after tax there isn't a massive difference, and with the hours and responsbilities of his previous job, it worked out to take a pay cut.

Soldato
Saying that, I work with someone who was a area manager, and now on NMW, he says after tax there isn't a massive difference, and with the hours and responsbilities of his previous job, it worked out to take a pay cut.

I think that's a myth, to be honest. If people value less hours over more money then that's fair enough, but to justify it by claiming the extra tax negates the extra hours just isn't the case.

Soldato
I think that's a myth, to be honest. If people value less hours over more money then that's fair enough, but to justify it by claiming the extra tax negates the extra hours just isn't the case.

Well for me it is, I'm on tax threshold already, so if I get a another job it'll be 20% tax. It isn't worth it working another job. Unless it's cash in hand.

As for those on higher tax band- 40%...

Soldato
OP
It's often easier to jump into a different role within a company you're already employed by.

In my case that's easier said than done, I've asked, asked and asked again. When I first started there, many years ago, they openly said they would work with and support everyone in the route of progression. 13 years on, i'm still where I was 10 years ago.

Soldato

There's some truth in this.

I'm contracted to 37.5 hours the same as any other FTE in the business.

I've never done less than 40 hours a week, often 45 in the office, which is a 17% reduction in my "hourly rate".

I then answer emails and think about work more than I'd like while at home

My boss does even more and travels more too. All the time she's being treated for cancer and very few people know.

Obviously we're better remunerated than most people but you have to accept that unpaid "overtime" and stress come with that.

There are times when I'm at home finalising a piece of work on a Sunday (Father's Day once) and wish that I could simply shut down my PC at 5pm and not even think about work again until 9am and wonder whether it's all worth it.

Soldato
In my case that's easier said than done, I've asked, asked and asked again. When I first started there, many years ago, they openly said they would work with and support everyone in the route of progression. 13 years on, i'm still where I was 10 years ago.
It's also worth bearing in mind that companies are often happy to give you more responsibility without increasing your pay - with that being promised in the future - I've been promoted twice with no extra money, you just get a pat on the head and someone telling your lucky to have the opportunity and the how great it will look on your CV! Never underestimate how willing an employer will be to save a few quid! Always get agreements for any additional renumeration agreed in writing before accepting any change!

Soldato
I did two jobs a few years back as my hours were put right to the minimum contracted after being used to doing basically a full time week for months on end.

I chose to do it in a bike shop not that far from where I worked in Halfords. Didn't say to management as they would have said no to it.

After a 'meeting' where I was pulled up in the paint aisle and told it was not on, I explained why I did it and they didn't care so said I'd leave then.

I used my allowance on one job and taxed 20% on everything on the other job.

I have thought about another second job now but I work 40 hours over 5 days and enjoy two days off and the ability to go out on my bike at night in the summer.

My next step will need to be to a higher paid job but what I fancy is then 4 on 3 off type affair with late finishes. The money would make up for the lack of routine long term.

Caporegime

In this case it’s more fool you really, if you’re putting the effort in and your performance is good then you should have known within a few years whether they were interested in promoting or developing you.

There are many employers where you can start off at the bottom and they promote from within, girlfriend started out as a sales assistant at a well known jewlery store and within a few years she was offered their MDP and now is an assistant manager on the way to manager within 5 years, salary is decent compared to other retailers and bonuses can be pretty lucrative depending on store performance. None of that matters though as it’s all about the 35%-50% she can get off watches for me :p

We’ve got a strange working culture in England with people sticking by employers or thinking years put in entitles them to something when you should learn early on that unless you’re offering them major value they really don’t care about you.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In this case it’s more fool you really, if you’re putting the effort in and your performance is good then you should have known within a few years whether they were interested in promoting or developing you.

I admit I should have done something sooner, but here I am trying to take steps.

Again if nothing comes of job 2, it is something to add to the CV at least. Then I can just start moving forward and look for something else totally different. Ditching both roles.

Soldato
Don't tell them? I've worked multiple jobs for years without issues some of them still don't know about the others. So long as it doesn't conflict i.e. times etc theres no reason they should know or care.

How does PAYE work if you have 2 jobs and you haven't told them? Do you have to self assess?

Each employer will have their own tax office and tax code. Basically you inform the secondary job's tax office about the other tax office and they'll adjust the tax code(s) to suit. Eventually you'll get a refund as they'll find out about each other eventually but it doesn't hurt to sort it out yourself.

Also personally it's great having two jobs.

Say if your primary job is a high stressed job or maybe very physically demanding, and being full time it's too much, mentally or physically. Say for example working in a forge, or sales/managing

And then your second job is easier physically and mentally. Second job is working say cleaning a home.

Plus having more jobs mean you have more contacts, your seocnd job could help you with others, or replace the ones you don't like, or maybe just casual worker or cash in hand. Or simply just meeting new people making new friends, or getting perks in the other jobs.

Also if you're likely to get made redundant from one job you've still the other.... plenty of people have a portfolio of jobs and its the best buffer against unemployment

Last edited:

Sho

Sho

Soldato
If they do find out you can be sacked though.

Really? So how have i managed for 12 years? Job 1 dont know i have a part time job. Job 2 dont kow i have a full time job. And i've kept it like that ever since. And have no intention giving any information.
And i know few other people like that who have gone down the same route as me.

As long you keep your mouth shut. Only trust certain individuls, you're all good :D

Back
Top Bottom