Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Associate
Couple of questions

1) any idea where I can get a spare power adapter, if not the exact one, then a compatible one?
2) any thoughts on best SSD to fill the empty slot; but worried about getting one without the same speed as the one that is there

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
If you're not running the SSDs in RAID and just using it as separate drive then being the same speed doesn't matter, just as long as you buy one that matches the connection type in your laptop ie. M2, Sata etc... :)

Associate
Ordered myself one of these with the dual 500GB SSD's can't wait to see it in action. I had the budget to go for something beefier but the battery life and sleek design sold me, I have a desktop with a 1080 that is more than capable of playing games so I wanted something I could game on at decent settings but is also very portable and not flashy and this fit the bill perfectly. Was a good deal as well due to not paying VAT over here :)

Associate
Hi ChikaItoh - sorry we missed this post.

Have you updated to latest Windows10 version - "1709"?

Can you update Smart Manager from this link: SMART UPDATE

Let us know if that cures problem.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Hi Atom80. I received mine at the beginning of November and the screen already has a dead pixel right in the middle. I use the laptop everyday for work so wouldn't really be happy about sending it off for a long repair and would prefer a replacement. Shouldn't really be having to send something back under warranty after 45 days. What are my options?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom80. I received mine at the beginning of November and the screen already has a dead pixel right in the middle. I use the laptop everyday for work so wouldn't really be happy about sending it off for a long repair and would prefer a replacement. Shouldn't really be having to send something back under warranty after 45 days. What are my options?

Hi liamsmall - if the dead pixel developed rather than there from the outset, the process really should be to send into our service centre to have screen replaced. Appreciate this is inconvenient, but hopefully do-able for you over the holiday period.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Any idea when AERO 15X-CF2 model will be in stock? This never seems to be available :(

Hi @noobftw - we have been shipping units over the festive period, but pre-orders are swallowing the stock and therefore not showing as available. We should have more arriving soon (early Jan) and hopefully this will be in bigger quantity and enable re-sellers to actually have stock on the shelf, so to speak.

Sorry for the delay.

We are pushing HQ daily.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Soldato
Ok so I decided to take the plunge for a decent laptop again and try the aero 15x CF2 (one 512GB ssd is more than enough space for me) for myself as it looks on paper to be the "perfect" machine.

...And so far it is amazing! :D No chassis defects, excellent keyboard/trackpad/screen (solid hinge) and very quiet on idle. Thank goodness - can't express how much of a relief! Very impressed with how gigabyte's quality control has improved as time has gone on.
Haven't had a chance to test any games on it yet as they're still downloading but hopefully all will be good once I do.

Only one question at the moment - I was under the impression the adapter had a built in USB slot for quick charging something like a mobile phone - but the adapter I received in the box doesn't have it (ie is a solid brick). Is it supposed to be like that, or is this some newer version without it?

Also if anyone is interested I bought a Pelican 1095 case for it and it fits perfectly leaving one cube of foam all around the outside (front and back is perfect fit, side has about 7mm gap but easy to cut some foam and wedge in there to stop it sliding). Excellent hard case tbh and allows me to chuck in a trolley suitcase rather than having to baby it in a backpack.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Ok so I decided to take the plunge for a decent laptop again and try the aero 15x CF2 (one 512GB ssd is more than enough space for me) for myself as it looks on paper to be the "perfect" machine.

...And so far it is amazing! :D No chassis defects, excellent keyboard/trackpad/screen (solid hinge) and very quiet on idle. Thank goodness - can't express how much of a relief! Very impressed with how gigabyte's quality control has improved as time has gone on.
Haven't had a chance to test any games on it yet as they're still downloading but hopefully all will be good once I do.

Only one question at the moment - I was under the impression the adapter had a built in USB slot for quick charging something like a mobile phone - but the adapter I received in the box doesn't have it (ie is a solid brick). Is it supposed to be like that, or is this some newer version without it?

Also if anyone is interested I bought a Pelican 1095 case for it and it fits perfectly leaving one cube of foam all around the outside (front and back is perfect fit, side has about 7mm gap but easy to cut some foam and wedge in there to stop it sliding). Excellent hard case tbh and allows me to chuck in a trolley suitcase rather than having to baby it in a backpack.

Hi Curunen - our supply of adaptors was disrupted and actually higher wattage version is needed for the 1070MaxQ vs the GTX1060 model - therefore we are planning to ship out the "expected" adaptor with the USB charging port, when they become available. We are planning to do this via our service partner in the UK.

This will probably be done as a swap out scheme, but details will follow. Keep tuned in, and if possible please TRUST message us with your contact details / delivery address and we can forward to the service centre in readiness.

Glad that your unit has been received and given you a positive experience.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Bry

Bry

Associate
Hi Curunen - our supply of adaptors was disrupted and actually higher wattage version is needed for the 1070MaxQ vs the GTX1060 model - therefore we are planning to ship out the "expected" adaptor with the USB charging port, when they become available. We are planning to do this via our service partner in the UK.

This will probably be done as a swap out scheme, but details will follow. Keep tuned in, and if possible please TRUST message us with your contact details / delivery address and we can forward to the service centre in readiness.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Hi Atom,
I hope you don't mind but I have just trusted you as well as I purchased and received a gigabyte aero 15x from overclockers last week and would like to get the new laptop psu/charger too.
Cheers

Associate
I missed out again on stock of the single ssd model version, any idea as to when it will be available again?

Why is the updated charger not being shipped outright with the laptop...

Bry

Bry

Associate
I missed out again on stock of the single ssd model version, any idea as to when it will be available again?

Why is the updated charger not being shipped outright with the laptop...

When i ordered it was out of stock yet was shipped 2 days later

Soldato

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team
Thanks Atom, good to know and message sent.

And further update for the thread - now typing from this laptop - so far so good on every count. Silent on idle, acceptable fan speeds on load (nowhere near as loud as I expected, and I haven't tweaked anything yet). Screen is beautiful with a stiff hinge (I read some reports on wobbling but mine is secure), keyboard is surprisingly good to type on despite being a little stiffer than I'm used to and the trackpad is decent even without the windows precision drivers. I've had it on for pretty much the last 12 hours straight, syncing onedrive and downloading stuff and just tested guild wars 2 (sure not the most demanding game out there) which runs flawlessly with cpu temperatures barely breaking eighty degrees and gpu mid seventies. Will test things like witcher 3 and star citizen later during the week when I've got time and can download them.

Battery life is simply astounding - smart manager reads around 8 hours at 100%, while I'm typing this with browser open and stuff downloading in the background, at 25% screen brightness (bright enough tbh). I mean realistically if having some documents open and music on or whatever I'd still expect it to last more than long enough before needing to charge.

If I was to be really picky it's that there is a tiny (and I mean tiny) coil whine from what I assume is around the cpu area. However I've had far worse from desktop gpus and similar that I'm not too bothered by it. Besides, this kind of thing is so common in high end components that it's such pot luck and I count myself fortunate in that it is barely noticable here.
That and occasionally I'm getting double keypresses on the 'h' key but maybe that's just me getting used to typing on this keyboard - it is stiffer than I'm used to.

In any case, I would never have believed that it would be possible to have all this performace and portability all in one tiny package. Sure the price is on the high end, but considering the price of all decent laptops nowdays it's not outside the ballpark.

Hopefully all continues to be well over the coming weeks as I use it. :)

Bry

Bry

Associate
Fantastic laptop couldnt be happier.
I initially had some problems with sounds but pretty sure this was a mixture of things primarily windows update.

Laptop is small, light and thin yet very powerful. A perfect desktop replacement laptop that can easily be used to surf the web while on the sofa too.
The screen just oozes quality!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well just under a week in and i am considering sending my back :(

Everything said about is pretty much true but from day one i have had awful sound problems.

I have confirmed drivers are up to date with both smart update and what is publicly available online.
Windows shows no problems and you even get the green bar going up and down yet no sound is played (yes volume is at max and not on mute.)

Sometimes I can get sound back for a day or two by doing a full uninstall and reinstall of the sound driver but then it will eventually go again with no obvious signs as to why it isnt working
Ah that really sucks! :(

I just tested mine with some music on youtube and it sounds good - hopefully I don't run into any problems like that.

It's such a lottery on anything nowdays as to whether it'll function fully or not, so I hope yours can be fixed as soon as possible - I'm sure Atom/ocuk will sort it.

Bry

Bry

Associate
Ah that really sucks! :(

I just tested mine with some music on youtube and it sounds good - hopefully I don't run into any problems like that.

It's such a lottery on anything nowdays as to whether it'll function fully or not, so I hope yours can be fixed as soon as possible - I'm sure Atom/ocuk will sort it.

Yea :( think i've tried 4 different driver versions now. Going to do a factory reset tomorrow evening. Not even had it 7 days yet otherwise everything else is great :(

Back
Top Bottom