They are Billions - RTS meets Zombie Hordes !

Soldato
finally managed the second map on 60% i went with snipers, thanatos and executor tower combo with the odd flamer in places for breakthroughs, honeycombed walls with wire fencing and walls a few blocks in front of walls with more wire fence worked really well.
didn't have any breakthroughs the thanatos units fire rockets really far and take out big groups the snipers were set to attack the highest level instead of closest enemy whoooop.

dont like the look of the next map :/

Associate
good strategy... i tend to back up executor towers with ballista's... old tech, but they take care of the bigger ones quicker than executor's do :D

Soldato
Well I made it through to the wave at Day 86. The waves seem to be going slightly out of kilter now. I took out another vod but wave (day) 86 again decimated my troops. Only the completion of an executer (mayoral gift) saved my depleted ass.

I can’t see myself winning the next round but I’ve learnt loads.

Soldato
i start with 3 houses off the bat then lumber while scouting for drops > food hut/fish >another lumber > stone and constantly build houses to get barracks and wood w/s i have 4-5 ballista before the first wave use 8-12 archers to clear then build snipers to clear the map

research i go balista > market > farm > sniper > stone w/s > wood house > bank

plan my houses so i have a market and bank in the middle of them all and resource chunk areas all have a warehouse

wall off any choke points asap and expand like crazy use ballista to cover around your base only men i get are snipers and i bring them back as soon as a wave is announced until final prep for billions horde then stack up on thanatos at least 3 for each side n/s/e/w and executioner towers

usually have +40-80 of each resource except oil as it sells for nothing and uses lots of power but i struggle with gold even with expansion i usually sit around +1000-1500

ohh and pause when you build ANYTHING that way mistakes get a full refund instead of half

Associate
woohoo, finally made it through the first map on a difficulty level enough to make the score count

now, onto the next map tomorrow :D

Soldato
I find it bothers me that you're forced into the most efficient strategy so you take a peek on twitch and every bugger is doing exactly the same thing...

Clear mid with rangers, line your base edge with ballistas. Creep out your base edge to grab more resources and replant ballista lines.

Soldato
Day 97 and it’s game over. Base completely over run but I learnt a lot.

New game only day 3 and I can’t belive how big my economy is with farms, soldier centre and quarries etc. Got lucky with some easy pick ups and the mayor gave me farmtech.

Also got lucky with the RNG and map has some lovely choke points and resources. Just now need to not **** it up...

Soldato
If you find yourself being given a hand which totally stinks by the RNG mapmaker then hit "save and exit" and start again with the same name to delete that previous game and reroll.

Currently on second map with three huge lakes or as I like to see them, free food and walls.

Soldato
Got to the last wave of map 2 but got steamrolled by a mother ship of infected. Thought I had an overkill of defense but it would appear they had little difficulty getting in. Got a decent RNG on a map now with a huge lake north and a mountainous area south. Can literally only get hit from two areas, regardless of where they come from. Unfortunately I have to creep beyond the choke points for resource purposes but this is only happened on day 80. Got a good feeling about this one. Going to load each choke point with 10+ Thanatos', triple walls, layer of executors, triple wall, layer of executor, triple wall and shock wave towers. All with sniper towers dotted in between.

Let's see them break through now.

Man of Honour
If you find yourself being given a hand which totally stinks by the RNG mapmaker then hit "save and exit" and start again with the same name to delete that previous game and reroll.

Currently on second map with three huge lakes or as I like to see them, free food and walls.

Nah it's not as fun if you just reroll maps. Part of the challenge is playing what you're given and making it work. Yeah you might get rolled early, but it's good practice.

Map 4's generation is pretty much always bad, so it's good to get used to making the best of what you have.

Associate
i do the same, take what you're given and suffer with it

though i will admit to a certain macabre laugh when the zombies roll over the colony if it's a tough starter with a Doom Village close by... sort of a "that's what you get for setting up a colony that close, idiots!" lol

Soldato
Got to day 139 and got absolutely battered by the "they are billions" horde which hit me from all sides with thousands of zombies. I had epic base defense at the north and north east wall which held, yet the southern defense developed a tiny hole from the first large wave of enemies and I couldn't recover from it after that. They absolutely smashed my western defense which was a long wall which had 4 layers of stone with a lot of sniper towers and ballista with thanatos guys all over the place.

This is still on the first map! Having some awful map RNG as well as I've been next to buildings of doom each time attempt now in the last 5 games. I don't reroll the map as each time I play its a damn good learning experience and I try something different.

The biggest tip I've seen so far with the game is to expand quickly and really pay attention to wandering infected as much as possible before you set up your first walls. I'm going to use some of the tips in this thread to try and streamline the defense of my control centre so I need to look at the layout of that if I get the right map which gives me a bit of space to start with.

So far this is GOTY for me, its excellent.

Associate
This game is so unforgiving!

Very much enjoying it I have to say but its hard to know what to upgrade first and what to really focus on.

Associate
i'd say the biggest tip i can give is get mining stone early on... get a warehouse up when you've got the money, then just horde as much stone as you can, so when you get to the stone upgrade level, you can just instantly upgrade all your buildings, towers and walls to stone straight away without the wait

if you've got a market as well, you'll be constantly selling off the excess stone and wood that you're collecting after your limit is reached, adding extra gold to your supplies, which always helps :D

Associate
yup... stone walls will be your first defence when the big hordes come... they'll hold them back so your snipers / soldiers / executors / whatever else you're holding, can do the job and wipe them out

a layer or two, or three, of stone walls will give ample time for your defences to get to work :D

Associate
Ahhh think that may have been part of my problem and quite an amateur one at that I only done a single layer of walls...... Stupid me!

just out of curiosity what difficulty/settings would you guys play it on to start with as I done the very simplest settings and seems abit to easy.... Seems to be one of these games where you can waste hours on lol

Associate
you definitely want plenty of walls... and another tip is don't just have outside walls... always bank on them getting through, so build walls inside your base too and defences scattered around to 'segregate' your colony, so when, not if, when the zombies get in, then you can keep them cornered and give yourself some extra time to wipe them out

i play on the second easiest so far... second one down from the menu on both... think it's 100 days for the length and 'sparse population' or something lol

Associate
here's one of my defence walls from the first map so you can see what i mean about keeping them as solid as possible along with internal walls and defences (top right) so if when they do get through, i've got an extra set to hold them back lol

iqlojo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom