What a load of rubbish -Dish drainer

Soldato
Our dish drainer is 9 yrs old and is plastic coated - in last few years it started to rust and now looks a mess so ordered this.

It is a Buckingham 56mm Deluxe Dish Drainer 2 tier chrome plated with cup and utensil drainers - It is junk - where the holes were drilled for fixing rods they used a grinder on some hole and missed others so the bit where drill came out is sharp pushed out spikes - The chrome is rubbish and looks like it is starting to go rusty already.

Now for £16 I wasn't expecting Fiat car quality but this is taking the pyce - I am keeping it just to see how we get on with it and see how it holds the plates etc but my aim now is to find something similar but in stainless steel - I don't think this is going to last 9 years like the other one.

The service was excellent from company I got it from - two day delivery on second class post - just shame they sell junk.

Does anyone have something similar in SS or can recommend another type ? Our sink is only 3/4 not full size so this is the size I need.

413722928.jpg

Soldato
OP
Our kitchen is too small for a dish washer and to be honest with only two of us it is pointless.

I think picture makes that drainer look big - it is a fraction bigger than the old one - we are going to get our £16 worth out of it and have found some SS ones on net with just a loop ends not two circles that this one has.

Soldato
Any chance of a link to where you got that? It looks just the ticket for another purpose in the garage (and it doesnt matter that its not stainless)

And rough measurements would be a help.

** nevermind, found on the rainforest for £10 delivered.

Associate
I need to get one, we got a dishwasher middle of last year and mrs thought it was a good idea to throw the drainer away because there would barely be anything washed.
The trouble is with two young kids with plastic themed plates and bowls etc, she refuses to put them in the dishwasher due to it rubbing the designs off, and we normally wash pots and pans by hand so its like some kind of balancing act getting all the plates to stay on the sink.

Soldato
Our dish drainer is 9 yrs old and is plastic coated - in last few years it started to rust and now looks a mess so ordered this.

It is a Buckingham 56mm Deluxe Dish Drainer 2 tier chrome plated with cup and utensil drainers - It is junk - where the holes were drilled for fixing rods they used a grinder on some hole and missed others so the bit where drill came out is sharp pushed out spikes - The chrome is rubbish and looks like it is starting to go rusty already.

Now for £16 I wasn't expecting Fiat car quality but this is taking the pyce - I am keeping it just to see how we get on with it and see how it holds the plates etc but my aim now is to find something similar but in stainless steel - I don't think this is going to last 9 years like the other one.

Id say you got fiat car quality

Soldato
All these drainers have one major flaw, and thats allowing for water run off without having to drain through the sink.

The one showin in the original post, does the base have holes or is is slanted to let the water run into the sink directly (the latter would be ideal).

https://www2.simplehuman.com/uk/kitchen/dishracks

I have been impressed with these products ( i had one once), but they are on the expensive side without the huge increase in quaity, i also found in hard water areas they start to rust and have limescale deposits at the bottom. I do hope there are market alternatives with the water run off feature which are cheaper!

Soldato
OP
Our original rack and this rubbish one have trays that slide into the bottom of rack - the old one had the better tray - when finished just slide out and empty.

So far in the week we have had it wife pointed out some rust marks - usually on the welds - the chrome is flawed and the top loop where they cut tube to fit on lower loop looks like it's bare metal - This is real 1960 Chinese junk - My Chinese watches in 60's used to gain 5 hrs a day:)

This is the one I have my eye on to replace this new one when it's rusty all over
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lifewit-...028656&hash=item58f5ba73c3:g:SZQAAOSw6YtZXrw~

I like the way the rack bits look like they have been stamped from one piece - I think it's slightly smaller than one we have - Both I have take 17 plates on top rack.

I recon I could drill a drain hole in front edge of tray nearest the sink - that will send water down center of draining board part of the sink

By the way there are drain holes in bottom of bottom loop and also plastic bit's that fit to base sides

Back
Top Bottom