Cheapest way to catch dog fowlers on camera

Soldato
I've owned a cat all my life and have only ever seen him poop in the litterbox.

Are you suggesting cat owners follow their cats around like ninjas with poop bags or that we go round knocking on neighbours doors and jumping fences in a regular hunt for poo?

Some cats don't leave the garden and others literately run all over the place. I will say that despite my first cat not leaving the garden much, i would very rarely find cat poo in the garden (sometimes not for months). My current cat doesn't poop in the litter tray often (twice a week) and I have never found it in the garden, god knows which letterbox he puts it in but i have had no complaints and he is about 8 years old :p

Edit: after a google, vets seem to suggest daily is normal. Somewhere is a mountain of my cat's poop. Might have to get a cat poop cam to find out!

Caporegime

Are you suggesting cat owners follow their cats around like ninjas with poop bags or that we go round knocking on neighbours doors and jumping fences in a regular hunt for poo?

Some cats don't leave the garden and others literately run all over the place. I will say that despite my first cat not leaving the garden much, i would very rarely find cat poo in the garden (sometimes not for months). My current cat doesn't poop in the litter tray often (twice a week) and I have never found it in the garden, god knows which letterbox he puts it in but i have had no complaints and he is about 8 years old :p

Well clearly it's not in your garden is it :p

Associate
i'm trying to find the news article, but my google-fu is failing me today

i just remember a year or two ago near me, somewhere around Kent, someone actually got arrested for posting the dog crap through someone's letter box in 'revenge' for it pooping on the street.

the vague gist of it was that it ended up with the police investigating the incident as a 'race crime', as the family believed it was racially motivated with idiots trying to drive them out of the street by posting dog crap through their letter box to make their children ill.

it wasn't obviously, it was just somebody sick of the dog crap on the pavement... but it got investigated like that and the local newspapers had a field day with it.

might seem like a good idea to do it at first... but got to think about how it could swing back on you

Soldato
Well exactly. It's in your neighbours' gardens.

hence my reparations tax suggestion.

They have never mentioned it. It likely is in somebody's garden but who. Could be in any garden in any of the surrounding road or nearby park.

How would the tax work and how much, would it cover just a few houses or a few roads?

Do cats registered as indoor or harness get to be exempt from the tax?

It would be fine if you could lock down which garden they poop in (as they usually pick a few places and stick to them) but if you were the unlucky guy which happens to be the main target, a few quid isn't going to cut it after the money has been shared out between the neighbours. A few quid is better than nothing but i doubt the neighbour will actually feel better because the tax sort of makes it okay for the cat owner to stop caring about the poop just by paying it.

Soldato
They have never mentioned it. It likely is in somebody's garden but who. Could be in any garden in any of the surrounding road or nearby park.

How would the tax work and how much, would it cover just a few houses or a few roads?

Do cats registered as indoor or harness get to be exempt from the tax?

It would be fine if you could lock down which garden they poop in (as they usually pick a few places and stick to them) but if you were the unlucky guy which happens to be the main target, a few quid isn't going to cut it after the money has been shared out between the neighbours. A few quid is better than nothing but i doubt the neighbour will actually feel better because the tax sort of makes it okay for the cat owner to stop caring about the poop just by paying it.
I don't think it would need to be huge - a token £10 per annum to neighbours within a certain radius or something. Might cost the cat owner £100/year ish.

Administering such a scheme might make the whole thing impractical, but I like the idea.

And just make it a 'cat tax' - levied on all cats. Indoor or outdoor.

Soldato
every morning has newly laid turds at several points along the run of the path.
Are you sure it's dogs and not some other form of wildlife?
If so, are you sure it's not stray dogs?

Don't people who no clean up after there dog get fined over there ?
There exists a fine, but I doubt there's any funding for the means by which to enforce it.

Yes, quick google suggests that mainland UK does not currently require a dog license, however you still do in NI.
I also note that a great many of the neglected, seriously damaged, illegally bred and generally abused dogs in our rescue centres come from Ireland... Not sure how it's enforced over there, but I'd question whether a licence will do much over here.

They don't need to actually catch that many people to be effective, just make it known that they exist and the risk of being caught is there.
The possibility of being punished does nothing to deter.
The certainty does.
You might be caught speeding on the motorway, but you will be caught speeding through a camera... which one has more people behaving themselves?

I think there should be a local reparation tax you have to pay to neighbours to be allowed to keep cats.
I feel the same way about BMW drivers...

Soldato
Administering such a scheme might make the whole thing impractical, but I like the idea.

And just make it a 'cat tax' - levied on all cats. Indoor or outdoor.

While i get what you are coming from, it is so little money that i can imagine people getting annoyed simply because they think the tax is pretty much a 'its a okay for my cat to poop in your garden' tax. The people most annoyed by cat poops (like m4rmite for example) would not be appeased and would probably be angrier after feeling like the the tax absolves cat owners from feeling responsible.

That's if you're not embellishing this tale a touch.

No embellishment at all.
You get to a point when enough cat carp to fill a skip is on your garden is enough

m4rmite, you don't live in Surrey do you? I can't account for at least several skipful of my cat's poop. Would a £10 a year be enough to cover damages?

Soldato

Edit: after a google, vets seem to suggest daily is normal. Somewhere is a mountain of my cat's poop. Might have to get a cat poop cam to find out!

My neighbors cats sleep on my car and poo all over my front garden.

and I'm allergic to cats, so i really don't like cats

I believe it should be law that they wear nappies

Soldato
It's hard enough to get them to keep a snap collar on, good luck with nappies!

I know there is such thing but i can't imagine the vast majority of cats cooperating. I think likely scenario is we end up with cheapo cat nappies torn up and left round the neighbourhood if you implemented such a law. Nappies would work for a tame, old cat that rarely leaves the house but cats like that are not the issue.

I personally would disagree with the law, not because of convenience but rather because it is sort of wasteful and it would be cruel to the cats of lazy owners from a hygiene perspective.

Soldato
people getting annoyed simply because they think the tax is pretty much a 'its a okay for my cat to poop in your garden' tax.
They'll be even more annoyed when they realise they're not going to see a penny of that money and it's just another way for local councils to fill their coffers.... which will then give way to utter rage when they use the Cat Tax as a precedent for a myriad of other ridiculous taxes!!

Soldato
I agree. That would be a great solution. DNA test the droppings and match up to a database to find the culprit.
There are signs up with fines for being caught dog fouling the pavements. But it's an empty threat - since who realistically is policing it?

No one.

I have my own dog and it infuriates me when I’m walking along the field dodging **** that lazy people can’t be bothered to pick up. If you can’t pick up poo don’t keep the blinking dog.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom