• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD CES 2018

Soldato
Spot on - why anyone would have hope after Polaris and then Vega I have no idea - they pretty much need to knuckle down and prove themselves with a shrunk and refreshed Vega or they might as well not exist in this market. If nVidia did release a 10 or 7nm gaming optimised architecture early this year I can't see how they could reply to that.

You as well?

Vega is a great card, Polaris is OK. Sort out availability and I'd take a Vega 56 for gaming over anything.

Caporegime
Yeah you got me. Anyone that says anything about AMD that isn't gushing praise is not only wrong, but deluded and biased for nV. I've been unmasked! I actually sleep on a bed constructed of Titan Vs, have a life-sized JSH pillow that I sleep with, and accidentally his face on my

That is this forum to a T.

AMD's roadmap and announcements were completely clear and unambiguous.

Vega 7nm Sampling by end of year and focused on AI.

Man of Honour
anyone know any benchmarks for these intel and amd new pairings? the machines look great.
in particular, the new 15" hp spectre 360 with 4k screen.

Soldato
It has benefits like ichill which can save a pile of electricity when you're playing non intensive games.

To offset the fact it requires a separate small generator to run the card?

I don't understand how vega can be quantified as "great". It was late to the party and doesn't offer the best performance. How can that be quantified as great? Sufficient is more like it.

Adequate.

Associate
It was a great card at RRP, early adopters got a steal. But at £900 it's a complete joke lol, however inflated prices thanks to supply/demand issues make it a bad deal, not a bad card.

Also, I think the value of the card and it's usefulness increases if you also mine with it while not gaming. So even those high prices we are now seeing can be offset somewhat (if all goes well with your chosen cryptocurrency).

Caporegime
It was a great card at RRP, early adopters got a steal. But at £900 it's a complete joke lol, however inflated prices thanks to supply/demand issues make it a bad deal, not a bad card.
It was never great at RRP: late, underperforming, massive power draw and heat output,overpriced

Soldato
Why was it a great card at its 1080 matching rrp? Its basically on par performance wise with negatives.
Negatives and positives.

Granted if you wanted an Nvidia card called 1080 then it was a terrible option, if 1080 performance for 980ti power consumption and heat generation terrified you it was a terrible option, if you owned a G-Sync monitor it was a terrible option, if you only ever play Borderlands, Metro and Batman games with PhysX it was a terrible option.

But on the flipside if none of the 1080s advantages mattered to you then then it was essentially a level playing field, and if the Vega's advantages instead mattered to you then it was simply the better option.

Soldato
I'm personally optimistic about AMD GPU's.

Yea Vega is basically like the FX series of CPU's.

But, prior to rRzen no one gave AMD a hope to pull off what they did with Ryzen.

Presumably Ryzen will take care of it's self over the next 3-4 years so if they can divert all those resources that made Ryzen a good product towards Radeon GPU's then I am optimistic they can make a good GPU series in the next 1-2 years.

Soldato
There is another Vega based card being released this year - interestingly a midrange part with 64 ROPS. All AMD midrange cards have had 32 ROPS,so it makes me wonder whether they are rebalanced internally.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm personally optimistic about AMD GPU's.

Yea Vega is basically like the FX series of CPU's.

But, prior to rRzen no one gave AMD a hope to pull off what they did with Ryzen.

Presumably Ryzen will take care of it's self over the next 3-4 years so if they can divert all those resources that made Ryzen a good product towards Radeon GPU's then I am optimistic they can make a good GPU series in the next 1-2 years.

Everyone's optimistic, but four out of five times AMD manage to come up with a disappointment. When is AMD going to finally realise their potential and start producing good GPU products at decent prices? How much hype and hope did we have for Vega?

Since R290 it's just been variations on the same theme, with the experimental Fury and now unavailable, under-performing, overpriced Vega thrown in. AMD might have good plans, but their execution sucks again and again.

Soldato
Everyone's optimistic, but four out of five times AMD manage to come up with a disappointment. When is AMD going to finally realise their potential and start producing good GPU products at decent prices? How much hype and hope did we have for Vega?

Since R290 it's just been variations on the same theme, with the experimental Fury and now unavailable, under-performing, overpriced Vega thrown in. AMD might have good plans, but their execution sucks again and again.

Which seems to coincide with them pushing more R and D towards Ryzen development. Hopefully,now they can start to concentrate on the GPU side more.

Back
Top Bottom