Blinds Fitting: Where do we stand?

Caporegime
Quick question:

My girlfriend received a quote for some blinds to be delivered and fitted, the guy had her sign the bottom of his quote and said he was going to go ahead and order them, this was only on Friday.

This morning another company has came and given us a quote which beats the first one so we’ve decided to go with them.

Where do we stand with cancelling the first guy? My girlfriend says our statutory rights give us 7 days to cancel, we’ve spoken to him and he was quite abrupt with us and eventually hung up. If he calls back demanding money for the blinds that he’s ordered do we have an obligation to pay for them?

Thanks in advance.

Are they being custom made? A lot of rights don't apply to things being made specifically to order.

Some places their T&Cs opt you out of the 14 days in order to expedite delivery. Or you would be waiting 14 days before they placed your order as you could just cancel.

Have you actually agreed to go with the second people yet? It could be worth asking the first guy to match the price.

Give your gf a slap for being to quick to commit.

Soldato
why did she sign for blinds to be ordered when you knew you were going to receive another quote ?
I would be abrupt on the phone with you as well if you did this to me!

Soldato
Are they being custom made? A lot of rights don't apply to things being made specifically to order.

Good point, i wasn't thinking about the custom nature of blinds.

Whilst i don't know the company in question. Here's an extract from Hilarys website

The goods are bespoke and made-to-measure to your requirements. As such they fall into the category of tailor-made products within the Consumer Contracts Regulations and hence you will not be able to cancel your Order once placed (subject to clause 9(ii) below). This will not affect your legal rights as a consumer in relation to made-to-measure Goods that are faulty or not as described.

ii) Notwithstanding clause 9(i) above, Hillarys Blinds Ltd will accept cancellations of Orders placed provided that notice of cancellation is received within two calendar days starting with the date the Order is placed. Your cancellation must be received by email to [email protected] or by telephone on 0800 916 6500.

As such it sounds like you're at the discretion of the supplier. Who, following your previous conversation is unlikely to accept!

Soldato
Seems harsh on the first company to me! You agreed to them, signed a contract knowing he would be placing an order for (I assume) bespoke made blinds that can only be used in your house. Now you want to cancel it because you've had a quote you prefer a few days later.

If I was company A I'd be charging you the full cost to supply the blinds minus installation. You have no right to a cooling off period if they are bespoke and understandably so.

Soldato
Custom item and did you/girlfriend sign the deal in your house, face to face?? If so then I believe no such cooling off applies.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Also, even if it is not a custom order, the 14 days you refer to only applies in the instance of distance selling, which I do not think this is. Highly likely you are stuck with the order you signed.

Back
Top Bottom