Best 12mo contact fiber?

Soldato
So we are planning to buy a house in 6 months or so (fingers crossed) but our Virgin has gone to 70 odd a month for basic TV (no movies or sports) 200mb BB and phone. To downgrade this they tell me it will lock me into another 18 month contract and unfortunately sky is now 18 month contacts too, gutted as I get great pings on sky.

So we are looking to get broadband on a 12 month deal so worst case scenario can pay the remainder off. Seems to limit you to all manner of weird providers (John Lewis?! Wtf) but plus net is there and have been around a long time.

Anyone able to comment on the pings you get on there, or any hidden things I am missing like they block all manner of stuff etc? Any recommendations for a good 12mo provider appreciated. Ping is the priority over bandwidth, looking to keep it < 40 Inc line rental.

Cheers

Don
I've used plusnet for years, pings are great, my main use for the internet is gaming. I get a rock solid stable ping.

Can't speak for their router though, only used it for about 10 seconds before setting up my usual one.

Associate
It really depends on your area/where you live. Different ISP's maybe be better than others. From my experience changing from SKY to Plusnet dropped my ping about 20ms while gaming on servers based in Germany.

Yet I have a friend in Manchester (I live near london) that gets about 17ms to the same servers using Virgin Media.

Caporegime
You realise that you can move your service when you move house even if you're in the contract term, don't you?

Soldato
OP
You realise that you can move your service when you move house even if you're in the contract term, don't you?

You can provided it is available in your new property, else you are kind of hoping that they let you off or you pay off the remaining term. Seems a safer bet to go for 12 month contract and plusnet seem cheaper than the other providers anyway. Think i will go for it, 29.99 a month for 12 months for the fiber extra.

Cheers all

Soldato
You can provided it is available in your new property, else you are kind of hoping that they let you off or you pay off the remaining term. Seems a safer bet to go for 12 month contract and plusnet seem cheaper than the other providers anyway. Think i will go for it, 29.99 a month for 12 months for the fiber extra.

Cheers all

The only case where this could be an issue is if your on an obscure provider or Virgin, if you moved hose with a BT contract for example and at the new address they could only offer adsl not fibre they would cut the cost back appropriately for the remainder of the terms. All the big names supply nationwide so I can't see the issue and it certainly wouldn't make me walk away from a cheaper deal.

Caporegime
I'd take the ridiculously priced £27 Vodafone fibre offer personally, and move it with me. If they can't serve you then the T&Cs cover what they do - which is either letting you have DSL or letting you exit the contract.

Back
Top Bottom