• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
stupid question does mining on 4gb and 8gb differs for hash rate ?
it's annoying that miners pick 8gb memory cards and leave the 4gb
i should have bought that vega64 for 400€ at release, now the 56 nitro just seem imposible to get...
hopefully amd grows some balls and ramp up gpu production , since now they moved cpus to 12.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Meanwhile in AMD's basement.....

maxresdefault.jpg

Caporegime
It is a bit (a lot?) ridiculous how much number crunching/work is going on, for no actual benefit. We aren't curing cancer, looking for signals from space, or anything useful.

The electricity and resources used, not to mention manufacturing energy, materials cost... and for what?

The data being crunched is meaningless. It's just weird.

What's worrying is that mining can consume a theoretically limitless amount of hardware.

Every single card produced in the next 10 years - millions upon millions - could go into the mining pool, and still the mining pool would need to grow and grow.

This mining craze has the potential to consume... all our resources.

Does no one find that worrying?

Caporegime
https://futurism.com/mining-bitcoin-costs-more-energy-159-countries-consume-year/

The new research used data provided by Digiconomist, whose current estimate of electricity used to mine bitcoin is around 30.14 TWh annually. That’s way above Ireland’s 25 TWh yearly average electricity consumption. In fact, according to a recent paper from Dutch bank ING, a single bitcoin transaction consumes enough energy to power the average household for an entire month. Digiconomist also found that Ethereum, the second most popular cryptocurrency today, also uses more than a country’s worth of electricity.

Something needs to be done. It's getting worse atm not better.

Associate
Far too much negativity on here regarding PC gaming. PC gaming is booming and is just going to get bigger (and smaller, more compact in terms of hardware), while the console market will decline. For example, there are 3 apprentices that work with me aged 18-19, they all game on PC and their iPads, not one of them own a console, nor have the desire to buy them either. It's a completely different generation from the one i (and most others on here) came from.

Sure, GPUs are overly priced, but it's not going to be like that forever. Prices will get back to normality.

Also, console gaming isn't any cheaper and people need to stop pretending it is. If you want to play Bloodborne, Forza 7 and Mario Odyssey, that's almost £700 in hardware alone. And that's not even including those games or the best version of the PS4/Xbox hardware (Pro/X). Plus if you want to play online add PSN/Xbox Live fees on top, plus whatever Nintendo will charge for their online service this year. Adding all of the mentioned games, online subs and the best versions of the PS/Xbox, oh and add a decent sized SD Card for the Switch because it isn't worth a **** without one. You're looking at £1200+.

Plus buying digital on consoles is a game of Russian roulette as all three firms are notorious for closing down services. Plus only 1 out of 3 offer refunds on digital.

Aye, console gaming is great and dead cheap..:rolleyes:

I bought a PS4 last year to see what all the fuss was about, it's the first console i bought in 10 years. I had it a week, sent it back. That's how great console gaming is, i found it atrocious. It gave me a hard hitting reminder of why i left console gaming in first place. Anyway, i was glad to get every penny of my money back.

So aye, **** consoles..:D

Last edited:
Associate
Sure, GPUs are overly priced, but it's not going to be like that forever. Prices will get back to normality.

The problem is that if it takes too long to normalise, and former PC gamers flock to console, there'll only be small indie devs making games for the PC as everyone else will have gone where the audience is.

Soldato
That's a disgusting price for a GPU, glad I bought my vega 56 within 4min of launch for the launch price of £380. I've added value to it since it has a g10 bracket on it, must be worth +£1000 now.

Back
Top Bottom