BMW AUC - haggling

Associate
I've just paid a reserve on a 3 series on BMW approved used as it had been listed at a price that I was happy with and the cheapest in the country however this is the first time I've paid a deposit reserve on a car without seeing it first and it's a good 4 hour drive away.

What has been peoples experiences of haggling with BMW AUC when the car is already priced to sell?
Are there any particular extras that I should be asking for?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've paid a deposit I would imagine they won't budge on price as they would be assuming you are already happy with the price of the car.

Associate
OP
If you've paid a deposit I would imagine they won't budge on price as they would be assuming you are already happy with the price of the car.

That's what I will be assuming so price aside so do BMW sometimes off extensions to warranty, free service etc?

Associate
OP
Ok, I did go back and edit my OP and I had put deposit but it is actually a reserve that I have paid so far

Soldato
They won't budge on price if it is already well priced, they will drop APR rates considerably though (best auc offer recently was 5.9) and throw in freebies.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

We bought an approved used BMW in Oct 2016. The car we wanted was in Coventry and we are in Nottingham.

We did a test drive in another car and then looked at the ones which met our spec and were in budget. Before we put any reserve down I managed to confirm that by paying cash the best discount on price would be £500.

We paid the reserve, car was shipped over and it was in the condition we expected.

We got low balled on our part exchange in the final part of the deal. We managed to get the valuation increased from £1500 to £2200 which helped with the overall purchase. In addition the salesman gave us the £500 off and we paid in cash.

As for other extras? Nothing. We therefore managed to negotiate about £1200 on the car. A great haggle? I don't know. But we did go through the steps and did have some success. Oh yeah, they did give us a very nice bottle of wine when collecting.

Overall, if you're happy with the price. Surely that means it's a good deal?

Man of Honour
I have bought a number of AUC cars.

If you've put a deposit down, it's done. They know you'll likely buy it so you'll get nothing off. Never put a deposit down before negotiating price.

I've managed from between £600 and £2000 off the price depending on the desirability of the car, the price relative to the rest of the market and how long they've had it for.

A well priced car in stock for a few days is getting nothing off it, an overpriced car in stock for months will get thousands and thousands knocked off it.

Caporegime
I have bought a number of AUC cars.

If you've put a deposit down, it's done. They know you'll likely buy it so you'll get nothing off. Never put a deposit down before negotiating price.

Spot on. This man knows.

Alternatively you could get a numpty who gets the mileage on your car wrong by approx 100,000 miles and so his little iPad program gives you a ridiculous trade in value against your own car

:D

Man of Honour
It's already been significantly discounted presumably as they've had it a long time. It's a very undesirable model which would explain its long stock time and it's low price. They've clearly decided enough is enough and it's now priced to get it out the door.

Soldato

I would anticipate there being something wrong with it, where there may be poor bodywork smart repair once you inspect it and/or overly worn interior. There may be evidence of more significant accident damage i.e. a front or rear end shunt so check lines, fit and if obvious damage repair in boot/under bonnet.

Could even be one of those drinking oil, returning dire fuel economy etc etc

Looking at the pics, it seems pretty good if so it's all straight that's and awesome buy.

Can't imagine there is actually much demand for one of these with preference for the auto given how much better the auto is imo hence pricing.

Worth checking what warranty work it has had to date and ownership history carefully.

Man of Honour
I would anticipate there being something wrong with it, where there may be poor bodywork smart repair once you inspect it and/or overly worn interior. There may be evidence of more significant accident damage i.e. a front or rear end shunt so check lines, fit and if obvious damage repair in boot/under bonnet.

Why would you anticipate that?

Back
Top Bottom