HTPC/NAS

Associate
I was considering getting a NAS box for media storage and for a backup (mostly family photos/video/documents), however with an aging HTPC, I decided to build a new one that also serves as storage.

The furniture that the HTPC is in has a door that's usually closed and the PC is hidden, so I decided for a normal PC case on it's side, rather than a more expensive HTPC case, few of which have capacity for 4 x 3.5" HDD. I added just 2 drives for now due to budget reasons, but intend on buying 2 more soon.

Other than that, I may do the occasional gaming on it, but not new cutting edge games, just older steam games or arcade emulators.

Other than that, does this setup look reasonable? I am not too sure about the motherboard, I just liked the price.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £887.40 (includes shipping: £68.34)

Associate
OP
The prices are way off have you checked them recently ? for example the storm x 1050ti is £139.99

Those are the current prices straight out of my shopping cart, without VAT. There is no VAT in Gibraltar, we have import duty instead that I will have to pay when I receive the goods.

Man of Honour
Those are the current prices straight out of my shopping cart, without VAT. There is no VAT in Gibraltar, we have import duty instead that I will have to pay when I receive the goods.

Ok

The 6400 is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of performance take a look at some reviews, it lacks single core speed as the 6100 beats it with its higher clock . Maybe look into the 8100 cofee lake cpu and motherboard or even ryzen if you dare go AMD.

Associate
OP
Ok

The 6400 is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of performance take a look at some reviews, it lacks single core speed as the 6100 beats it with its higher clock . Maybe look into the 8100 cofee lake cpu and motherboard or even ryzen if you dare go AMD.

Thanks. The 8100 is not in stock so changed it to the 8350. Still not sure about the mobo. Has to be one with 5+ SATA ports (4xHDD + SDD) which the original one I added doesn't have.

Associate
OP
The motherboard is going to have to be a Z370 chipset which are not cheap as there are no lesser chipset motherboards like previous releases.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...s/intel/lga-1151-z370-chipset?sPage=1&sSort=3

Would this one be ok? Has 8 Sata ports,https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-526-gi.html

Which sounds great because I found an HTPC case with a lot of space for hard drives (8)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silv...r-case-black-sst-gd08b-usb-3.0-ca-216-sv.html

Man of Honour
Both motherboard and cooler will be fine, i would give Overclockers a call and see when they have the 8100 will be back in stock. Getting faster ram 3000mhz would be better if you plan on gaming in he future and the power supply you dont need 650w a decent 550w would do something like this, comes with a 10 year waranty, hybrid fan and fully modular .

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Back
Top Bottom