*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
You're looking for the router to support RFC3021, but it shouldn't really matter unless you have a reason to connect to another Hyperoptic user that is one address away from you. Your Internet will continue to work normally if you have to specify a wider subnet mask.

Soldato
You're looking for the router to support RFC3021, but it shouldn't really matter unless you have a reason to connect to another Hyperoptic user that is one address away from you. Your Internet will continue to work normally if you have to specify a wider subnet mask.
So any router that has RFC3021 will work with hyperoptic? what is RFC3021?

also what are the settings we need to setup a new router?

TJM

TJM

Associate
Support for that is so standard that I doubt many routers list it in their specs.

Setting up my R7800 involved ticking ‘My ISP does not require a login’ and connecting it. Haven’t had a problem since.

Associate
Hi, I'm new on the forum and looking for a bit of advice. I have bought a ZXHN H298N Hyperoptic router and am trying to get it to run on ordinary BB. Is this possible or am I wasting my time? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Man of Honour
Does anybody know what Hyperoptic do for backhaul from each building? I assume there is no way that they can even get every subscriber from a building into their own core without contention, let alone out to the internet.

Do they just rely on the fact that people sit with their connections idle for most of the time and run 1Gb or 10Gb EAD circuits into each building? Afaik Gigaclear in 2013 averaged 200Mbps at peak times across their entire subscriber base so it wouldn’t be unusual to underprovision in such a way.

The usual setup is a single 1Gig point to point from the usual suspects (Openreach or VM Business), their peering setup as publically acknoledged is at https://www.peeringdb.com/net/4507 which is reasonable in my view for an ISP of their size, their transit I don't know how much they have (I'd guess 2:3 transit:peering or perhaps a little less for a UK based consumer ISP so perhaps 30-40Gig?) but the provider tend to the be the better value ones (looks like Cogent and Zayo)

Associate
The usual setup is a single 1Gig point to point from the usual suspects (Openreach or VM Business), their peering setup as publically acknoledged is at https://www.peeringdb.com/net/4507 which is reasonable in my view for an ISP of their size, their transit I don't know how much they have (I'd guess 2:3 transit:peering or perhaps a little less for a UK based consumer ISP so perhaps 30-40Gig?) but the provider tend to the be the better value ones (looks like Cogent and Zayo)

Yep, from here in Manchester they seem to throw a lot of stuff through IX Manchester, but then transit seems to be almost universally GTT. It used to be Cogent but I've not seen them used lately.

Soldato
Support for that is so standard that I doubt many routers list it in their specs.

Setting up my R7800 involved ticking ‘My ISP does not require a login’ and connecting it. Haven’t had a problem since.
revisting this again.

But what router do you recommend to replace and use with hyperOptic?

i need one that does 1gbits speed across LAN as i transfer big files across different hardware and have nearly 10 devices connected.

Port forwading needs to work also and i am currently on 100mb speed on the internet and need a modem that caters for that.

my stock modem is giving me issues! my wifi connected devices struggle to load stuff on the internet but the wired connected devices seem fine?

Associate
But what router do you recommend to replace and use with hyperOptic?

i need one that does 1gbits speed across LAN as i transfer big files across different hardware and have nearly 10 devices connected.

Port forwading needs to work also and i am currently on 100mb speed on the internet and need a modem that caters for that.

I've been using a Netgear R7000 with Hyperoptic for well over 2 years now. It's plugged straight into the wall, no problems at all - I can't remember the last time I had to touch it. It gives great WiFi coverage across my flat, again never had a problem with connected devices. On LAN, I've got a media server (on 24/7), Amazon Fire, PS4 and my PC in the other room via Cat6 / Netgear Ethernet switch. I have no problem with transfer speeds from my PC to media server and the Speedtest from that PC is below. Port forwarding is also pretty simple and there are loads of guides out there if need be. Hope that helps.

unknown.png

Soldato
I've been using a Netgear R7000 with Hyperoptic for well over 2 years now. It's plugged straight into the wall, no problems at all - I can't remember the last time I had to touch it. It gives great WiFi coverage across my flat, again never had a problem with connected devices. On LAN, I've got a media server (on 24/7), Amazon Fire, PS4 and my PC in the other room via Cat6 / Netgear Ethernet switch. I have no problem with transfer speeds from my PC to media server and the Speedtest from that PC is below. Port forwarding is also pretty simple and there are loads of guides out there if need be. Hope that helps.

unknown.png
Did you have to configure the router in order to work with hyperopic?

Associate
Did you have to configure the router in order to work with hyperopic?
To be honest, it was so long ago that I can't remember. But it was very painless. As TJM said above, I'm pretty sure I just checked "My ISP does not require a login" and that was it. Worse case is you just speak to Hyper and ask for the login details.

Associate
There's no modem with Hyperoptic. The fibre terminates in the basement and it's copper up to your flat.
+1

Will vary between locations, but I'm in a new development and got to see their installation. IIRC: Gigabit switch in the basement/carpark and fibre up to all the flats.

@jonneymendoza Hyper supplied you a router, you're just swapping one router for another. There is normally a comparison further down, but for example the AC2300 model is the combined speed of the two Wi-Fi bands (Dual-Band 2.4 Ghz + 5 Ghz). So: 1625 + 600 Mbps = ~2300.

Caporegime
The only thing you'd (potentially - I'm sure it can be made to work) lose when switching routers is the option to use their landline calls service. I assume for most people this is a non-issue.

Back
Top Bottom