PING Annoyance

Associate
I had a similar issue with BF4... It would only happen with that title but when i pinged the server with (cant remember the name of it) some software it would show massive packet loss and high pings. I was with virgin broadband and they stated it was an issue with the exchange. I still don't believe it was that though because it only happened with BF4 servers. By any chance do you have 2 pc's trying to join BF1 at the same time ? (although thats a port issue that should kick one/both pc's from the game).

Oh and maybe try and disable origin updates in the options... I cant remember what its called but its basically where it uploads your stats to cloud whilst playing.

Associate
Yes, about 6 fields away

That sucks. Have you tried running the cmd prompt ping on your other screen whilst playing and see if the ping times increase or packets are lost when in game performance gets worse?

Rule 101 of network troubleshooting is rule out as much as you can / strip it right back to basics. Disconnect everything else including your cctv from the router, disable wifi to ensure nothing else is using bandwidth. Do you have a friendly neighbor whose broadband you can borrow for a test?

Permabanned
Missed your router stats post... yes... that 1mbit upload is the source of you problems... easily maxed.

Best solution to that is to kill everything else that's sapping bandwidth whenever you want to game... that's what I did last time I had a 1mbit upload speed in France. And I mean everything...

Alternate solution is to get a second line.

Option 3... make friends with a neighbour closer to the cabinet who has line of sight to your place and smile nicely to setup a point-to-point link - can be done quite cheaply.

Man of Honour
Disabling wifi is usually a good start for diagnostics because nowadays people often have loads of devices like games consoles, phones, tablets, TVs, speakers and all sorts hooked up to the internet

bJN

bJN

Soldato
This is where two screens are useful. At my place in Norwich the connection is only a 2.5Mb down / 0.7Mb up link. I'll always have CMD open constantly pinging Google, as well as resource monitor open on network to monitor what services and apps are doing what. If anything does something other than idle the ping will spike from ~35ms to 200+, and likewise any uploads saturate the line and cause major packet loss and ping timeouts. Anything that uses the network on my pc whilst I'm trying to game will get killed immediately - biggest culprit for me is usually windows update (svchost) which despite numerous attempts to prevent it, it still finds a way...

Biggest issue I still have is other people using the net. One person does nothing but play fruit machine games on his iPad that try to load adverts every few minutes which will cause ping spikes for 30+ seconds. Don't have that issue when I'm back in Oxford thankfully on the lovely 9-12ms :D

Soldato
Just as another option. If you're running windows 10 there's a setting that means you can provide updates from your PC so if that's ticked that may be why you're getting inconsistent uploads.

Back
Top Bottom