Last piece of Tech that made you go "WOW!!"?

Soldato
My most recent Wow is the bluetooth headphones I am plugged into currently, the Huawei P10 they are connected too, Spotify premium, Netflix and Overdrive Apps which are loaded on to it. The massive library of legal media available with a library card and small monthly fee which connected via a 200meg unlimited fibre connection just blows me away.
It is not just one thing - although the battery life on the heaphones and the picture quality on the P10 are also separately amazing, it is the way that technology has so altered the way I interact with media in the last 12 months.

Man of Honour
So I'm at work but pretty ill so taking it easy - having a new found appreciation of some of the tech I have with me - using my phone as a 4G router despite barely getting a signal got 18-25mbit down, 2mbit up and stable 26ms ping - while kind of pedestrian today in some ways wasn't so long ago that kind of connection was a dream at home and still people who'd kill for it today.

Paired with a GPD Pocket which is a palm sized device with quad core performance inline with the old desktop Q6600, 8GB RAM, 128GB storage (plus upgraded with an extra 128GB) and 1920x1200 display. (Runs full Windows).

Associate
iPhone 3G - never had the original. I've not got a warm fuzzy feeling inside since.

Exactly the same here. I had a Sony Ericsson flip phone before, then got the 3G and couldn't believe how amazing it was (and back then it couldn't play video or cut & paste as I recall) but the last bit of kit to really make me go wow.

Associate
Being 53 years old and having seen computers at their infancy, taking up rooms rather than desk space, i'd have to say that the one single piece of technology that has truly made me grin ear to ear, has to be the Oculus Rift.

This is coming from someone who's been suckered by everything from vhs to laserdisc. I would actually say that the VR experience of the Rift is one of the most memorable experiences of my 53 years, and yes, i have travelled and been sexually active in the past, before anyone accuses me of being a virgin.I t certainly beats pong in terms of immersion and gives me more pleasure than my ex wife ever did. I love playing IL2 and Assetto Corsa with rift, DCS is pretty impressive too and Robo Recall is a blast. I hope we get better VR res. before i die:)

Soldato
Not sure it fully counts as tech but the move to widespread 4g data is amazing, especially in the lakes as I essentially went from 2g to sporadic 3g to amazing 4g

Soldato
If I flip my phone case open while my phone is ringing then close it without answering is silences it..

One of the first and only times I though the software was written and developed by someone who uses the device

When I noticed I did think wow...

Also upgraded from 290x to 1070 was a wow

D3K

D3K

Soldato
If I flip my phone case open while my phone is ringing then close it without answering is silences it..

One of the first and only times I though the software was written and developed by someone who uses the device

When I noticed I did think wow...

Also upgraded from 290x to 1070 was a wow

Or just press the power button?!

Latest for me was my gear 2 neo smart watch. Felt pimp af, and quickly became dependant on it.

Soldato
In rough order....

Getting a BBC model B after a zx81
Losing my virginity
Multiplayer doom - first ever multiplayer experience
Geforce Mx and the original unreal
My Caterham 7
Birth of my children
First paramotor flight
Oculus rift (followed by a realisation the resolution needed to be a lot better)

Good grief, that's like a highlight reel of my life!

Soldato
This will probably sound a bit lame but for me it was the MSI Geforce GTX980ti Gaming.

The reason is, I had watercooled my PC's since around 2003, and planned to WC this card too, but then I installed it in the machine having removed the old GPU from the loop and was shocked. At idle it made no noise (due to turning off the fans, under load the noise it made was inaudible with my headset on. That was the point where I decided for my next big upgrade I wouldn't bother watercooling, so when I got my new Mobo/CPU I moved to a smaller case, fitted a Noctua D15 and haven't looked back.

Associate
probably my latest 50mm 1.2 lens for camera

wow wow and wow :o

i've had the 85mm 1.2 before but it was slow and focus was sluggish at the best of times... very hit or miss to work with... but the 50mm 1.2 is stunning to use, fast and snappy, never missed a focus point... really unique images as well :D

Associate
The Quadcopter i bought last year.

First time I have seen one in action and was blown away with how easy they are to use and the features it has.

The fact it just stays stationary in the air on its own impressed me lol and the range (height and distance) it fly's is unreal with me watching it all on the screen on the controller so the views you get are superb.

I was also impressed with the follow me and return to home mode, just a flick of a switch and it will come and land on its own within a meter of where I'm standing and a flick of another and it will follow me or orbit while I walk/bike/drive at whatever height you set.

Technology these days eh lol

Back
Top Bottom