Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
So I got the Delonghi 4200S for Christmas. It produces fantastic coffee! Very VERY pleased with it and the simplicity of a bean to cup makes it a doddle to brew an Americano.

Hasbean beans obviously taste wondrous out of it but pains me to say the Lavazza Rosso beans are actually very drinkable from it.

Would definitely recommend as a machine for those looking for something easy to use that produces a very drinkable cup with discernible flavour profiles.

Associate
Had a bit of a result tonight, after a little trip out I'm now the proud owner of a Rocket Appartamento and a yellow Eurika Mignon. Both under a year old, and the seller gave me plenty of additional things, couple of milk jugs, Motta tamper, knock box, he even filled the hopper with beans for me!

Now I need a set of scales, some time and I have a bottomless portafilters on order to aid me. I also need to decide if I'm keeping the Mignon or the Mazzer grinder, I'm pushing my luck a bit with the wife trying to hold onto both!

25841606788_bb55fdcaa6_c.jpg

Soldato
nice - the lever handle on the e61's is asthetic
yes - the clearance to get the grinder hopper and water tank access requires a dedicated piece of kitchen furniture.

Associate
Yes, I have no way around getting to the water tank unfortunately due to the units above but the grinder has a different home where the height is not an issue, I just wanted a shot of it all together :)

First thoughts on the Mignon, it clumps (not the end of the world) it's also quite a bit noisier than the Mazzer. Plans if keeping the Major are to remove the hopper completely, I've seen people use a £4 rubber lens hood from ebay that fits perfectly and has the added benefit of being compressible to help flush some of the retention out of the shoot. Then I need to decide which direction I mod the doser for single dosing. I might see how the clean sweep mod goes for starters but ideally I'd lose the doser.

The Appartamento is a beautiful bit of kit though, I'm still dialing in my grind a bit although I feel I'm almost there now. My milk frothing needs some work though!

Soldato
I have to say, Waitrose beans, £6 for a 450g bag
The columbian or the fairtrade ? I was surprised, need to post pic, they use the fairtrade in their 'free' coffee machines; I meant to find out what the machines are.
(also saw some stupid parents holding up their children to push the machine buttons - Waitrose will have a big legal action soon, like McDonalds)

Still using Asda Columbian from earlier post.

Caporegime
The columbian or the fairtrade ? I was surprised, need to post pic, they use the fairtrade in their 'free' coffee machines; I meant to find out what the machines are.
(also saw some stupid parents holding up their children to push the machine buttons - Waitrose will have a big legal action soon, like McDonalds)

Still using Asda Columbian from earlier post.

It's the teal colour bag, larger 450g size.

Soldato
that is in the waitrose machines - never had one, but now looking at pic, they don't do espresso anyway - that says something about the demographic of the waitrose shopper

27960274129_7255633bc4_k_d.jpg

Associate
Best cup I've knocked out so far, I know I've a long way to go! It's amazed me the difference in taste cup to cup while I've been dialing in the grind/tamp, this one was very enjoyable.
27963641899_61603f532d_c.jpg

Soldato
I'm looking at getting an espresso machine, I'm either looking at a Delonghi Dedica or a second hand Gaggia Classic.

I know the answer will be the Gaggia however the reason I'm looking at the Dedica is that it's good to go within a couple of minutes rather than 15 making it something I'm likely to actually use in the morning before work.

So my question is, what would the actual difference in my coffee be between the two machines? Bearing in mind I've read a guide on changing from a pressurised basked / portafilter and changing to a steam wand on the Delonghi if that would be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom