**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Ian

Ian

Associate
Well, after a year of being very indecisive over what phone will finally replace my LG G2 i think ive come full circle and being tempted by an S8+.

Currently paying 19 quid a month for 16gig rolling and with the latest deals offering 16gig and a free phone for 42.99 im being tempted.

Obviously the S9 is around the corner, which i imagine is why the S8 prices are coming down, but is it worth pulling the trigger now or holding off?

Caporegime
My S8+ has stopped fast charging, the notification says Fast Charging then it appears to stop charging then switch down to normal charging. Annoying. Tried clearing dev cache but that made no difference.

Soldato
Does anyone know of a quicker way of securely unlocking the phone?
As it stands at the mo I have to press the power button or home button to enter from the AOD screen, then I still have to swipe the screen to get to iris scanner to unlock the phone. It all seems a bit long winded. I would like to just press a button, scan the iris and we are in.
Am I missing a setting or something?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Beta 6 battery life is excellent. over 5hrs SoT and some 22hrs from a charge. Pretty much how Nougat performed. The final can only be better really. I imagine those on the beta will get the OTA this week.

My S8+ has stopped fast charging, the notification says Fast Charging then it appears to stop charging then switch down to normal charging. Annoying. Tried clearing dev cache but that made no difference.

Using the Samsung charger and cable? I have found after months of using various cables from all brands (I get them free mostly) that only a handful of cable brands are consistent with how they charge. Amazon Basics cables are probably the most reliable alternative to OEM cables. Your USB port may also have crap build-up. Attack the port with a rocket blower or careful blow with compressed air. The USB-C port is sealed so there's little risk of damaging anything here.

Is there an established way to get the updates early as possible? Using a proxy or whatever?

No, if you have an XEU/BTU (UK) phone, then your OTA update will come through when there is an update available for that region.

Does anyone know of a quicker way of securely unlocking the phone?
As it stands at the mo I have to press the power button or home button to enter from the AOD screen, then I still have to swipe the screen to get to iris scanner to unlock the phone. It all seems a bit long winded. I would like to just press a button, scan the iris and we are in.
Am I missing a setting or something?

Cheers

under Lockscreen > Iris Scanner settings, turn on the option to use iris as soon as the screen is woken up.

rps20180121_182323_164.jpg

Man of Honour
Maybe a small one, but I don't expect the S8 to drop drastically at all given how well it's doing.

Galaxy S9 news is in the form of the new camera sensor. The sensor pixels are smaller than current models, but Samsung say the low light performance and overall performance is better:

http://www.samsungcentral.com/samsung-confirms-3-stack-frs-isocell-sensor/

480FPS @ 1080P with higher bitrates, HDR and the like is appealing. With some simple math, 4K should come in at 60fps at the minimum, 120fps if Samsung are generous. Yes Sony has 960fps but only at 720p, and only for a limited timeframe per recording, and teh quality isn't /that/ great either. I imagine Samsung will likely be using H.265 or VP9 as the video encoder, much better quality and more efficient.

Soldato
Anyone know when we can expect Oreo? It's quite sad that Android P is now on the horizon yet we haven't seen release of O for the Samsung flagships yet =/ (excluding beta)

Caporegime
Anyone know when we can expect Oreo? It's quite sad that Android P is now on the horizon yet we haven't seen release of O for the Samsung flagships yet =/ (excluding beta)

This is and always will be the case with any phone that isn't by google. It is annoying but thankfully the last few android updates haven't brought that much to the table.

I don't think we will see oreo arrive for current samsung devices until after the gs 9 arrives.

Soldato
This is and always will be the case with any phone that isn't by google. It is annoying but thankfully the last few android updates haven't brought that much to the table.

I don't think we will see oreo arrive for current samsung devices until after the gs 9 arrives.

Don't get me wrong I expected some delay, but Oreo has been out since August and if it is coming after GS9 that's almost 7 months since release. I just wish the manufacturers wouldn't leave it this long!

Back
Top Bottom