Are schools allowed to show kids PG rated films without permission?

Soldato
I'll say it again, Harry Potter is not fit for kids without parental supervision.

lupin-changes-into-werewolf-harry-potter-o.gif

Bellatrix-Tortures-Hermione-harry-potter-27869303-500-211.gif

tumblr_n2ncv7Tn971smmg5ho1_500.gif

Neither are Star Wars. How many people billions died on all of the death star/star killer planets blowing up? And vader breaking that commanders neck? Torture of Princess Leia. The Sarlakk. Rancor biting pig people's head off, crunching.

So no, Harry Potter is nice by comparison.

Soldato
Neither are Star Wars. How many people billions died on all of the death star/star killer planets blowing up? And vader breaking that commanders neck? Torture of Princess Leia. The Sarlakk. Rancor biting pig people's head off, crunching.

So no, Harry Potter is nice by comparison.

Not for a 7 year old, especially if her dad says so...

Soldato
Chatting to a find of mine the other day it came up that the first festival he went to was the monsters of rock when he was 13 (this was in the late 70's)...turned out it was a school trip! :D and he wandered off all day on his own, got offered alcohol by a group of American squaddies (didn't take it), had a great time :p

Could you imagine that today, a single teacher taking a group of 13 yo's to a rock festival, lol....a lot of people complain about today's "pc" culture or ********* generation, and tbf it does seem to have gone too far or maybe that's just the reporting of it, but would you be happy for your 13 yo to be doing that?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
It’s a wonder Harry Potter was read by anyone until they got round to making films of it.

Most English departments will use films to supplement, rather than replace, books. Especially later on in secondary when it may help students interpret seminal works in different ways. Or when they have a hangover and cant be bothered teaching as all teachers are lazy wastrels trying to brainwash kids :)

Caporegime
Most English departments will use films to supplement, rather than replace, books. Especially later on in secondary when it may help students interpret seminal works in different ways. Or when they have a hangover and cant be bothered teaching as all teachers are lazy wastrels trying to brainwash kids :)
I think we watched maybe two films in English at school... one was the boobtastic Romeo and Juliet and the other was lord of the flies, I think.

Either way, I’m not buying that it’s in any way an essential part of getting kids to read. My daughters read like mad, but that’s mostly because their mother reads like mad so it’s business as usual for them. All watching films does is teach you to watch films. All well and good in and of itself, but I doubt there’s any real benefit to be had on the reading front.

Soldato
I agree in terms of educational material, I'm not sure harry potter falls into that category. If it turns out that there's a valid educational reason then I'd take a different view but I have to say I read the OP as a kind of last day of term jobby.

The missus just read this and teaches that age group and has used the Harry Potter films and books many times. She said the kids love them and they match the curriculum objectives for those years for English because they can be used to help describe characters and settings, create suspense and write dialogue etc. This is probably what the teacher is using it for as it's quite common!

Back
Top Bottom