• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New build ryzen 1800x vs 8700k

Associate
Should still give better FPS. More bandwidth and going from ddr3 to ddr4. And about 500 MHz better overclock on the 8700k.
Nope that's not how it works. This all power you listed won't be used in gaming as in 4k your gpu will be limiting it, and refresh rate of 4k etc

Soldato
/sigh

4K = GPU bound = GPU doing 99% of the Work = Your going to pretty much see the same FPS :( hence why i said buy a 1080ti, you will get better all round performance however, but dont expect 30fps increase @ 4k, you will be horrendously disappointed.

Associate
OP
You will see a difference at 4k even if it's not measured in the numbers. Do report back.

I’m going to get this built then sell my zotac amp extreme 1080 then get the zotac amp extreme 1080ti. My old card sells for about £450 on the action site.
Will let you know how I get on.

Soldato
At 4K you are going to be more GPU limited than CPU limited - even at qHD I can be GPU limited with an IB Core i7 in many games. Remember OP,that qHD is approximately 4MP and 1080p is 2MP,and 4K is approximately 8MP. Your graphics card will need to push 4X the number of pixels per section than at 1080p.

Unless you have something like a GTX1080TI,I suspect you will be far more GPU limited at 4K. Yes in some games the CPU can still lead to lower minimums even at 4K if it is not fast enough,but you still need to have a sufficiently fast graphics card to expose this limitation.

Associate
At 4K you are going to be more GPU limited than CPU limited - even at qHD I can be GPU limited with an IB Core i7 in many games. Remember OP,that qHD is approximately 4MP and 1080p is 2MP,and 4K is approximately 8MP. Your graphics card will need to push 4X the number of pixels per section than at 1080p.

Unless you have something like a GTX1080TI,I suspect you will be far more GPU limited at 4K. Yes in some games the CPU can still lead to lower minimums even at 4K if it is not fast enough,but you still need to have a sufficiently fast graphics card to expose this limitation.

That case then go with a ryzen cpu and save some money and spend more on gpu.

Caporegime
That case then go with a ryzen cpu and save some money and spend more on gpu.

+1, this is always common sens, if you have a £300 GPU there is no point going for a £250 CPU when a £160 CPU will give you exactly the same result, so instead get the £160 CPU and a £390 GPU, then you will see a difference, that being the difference between an 8600K + GTX 1060 vs a Ryzen 1600 + GTX 1070.

Associate
At 1440p or 4k, CPU almost doesn't matter unless your graphic detail settings are very low or you're playing an old game. GPU would be the way to go. Oh well! Enjoy the shiney new gear.

Soldato
Rather than spending all the money on the 8700k etc I'd have went 1080ti myself.

Shame people ask for advice then ignore it all haha.

Most of the time they have already made their mind up, they just want people to confirm it.

Soldato
Hes said he's going to sell his 1080 and buy a 1080ti.

Shame the logic wasn't to buy the 1080ti first, see how it performs and then decide if sinking about £700 on cpu and mobo and ram felt needed.

It's gonna perform amazing because you've basically bought a new top end PC.

But you could have been 95% there on a fraction of the spend.

Associate
If you're 4k gaming, I'd lean towards AMD, as the bottleneck would be on the GPU. Can't forget the price to performance ratio, especially with the price drops to get rid of stock for Ryzen+. Ryzen+ is only going to close the gap even further between both competitors, and that's great.

After all the stuff Intel is going through and the stagnation with CPUs past decade, my next upgrade will be AMD. Ryzen+ and Zen 2 in 2019 makes me happy competition is back.

Caporegime
If you're 4k gaming, I'd lean towards AMD, as the bottleneck would be on the GPU. Can't forget the price to performance ratio, especially with the price drops to get rid of stock for Ryzen+. Ryzen+ is only going to close the gap even further between both competitors, and that's great.

After all the stuff Intel is going through and the stagnation with CPUs past decade, my next upgrade will be AMD. Ryzen+ and Zen 2 in 2019 makes me happy competition is back.

You've hit on something there, the price difference between a 1080 and 1080TI is £200, the price difference between a Ryzen 1600 and an 8700K is £200 :D

Back
Top Bottom