Ram pricing

Soldato
Have to agree also. If pc part prices keep going up at their current rate I think sales are going to massively drop over the year while console sales will rocket.

Associate
been looking at repeating a Ryzen build I did just before Christmas, the repeat order for MB CPU and RAM has gone up £120 in little over a month, its party the CPU but mainly the RAM, crazy. I'm just going to wait, not paying £200+ for RAM.

Soldato
Does anyone know whats pushing computer prices up, obviously it's supply and demand but why exactly.

Graphics cards, I presume this is cypro-currency mining?
Solid state storage, I presume this is all the smart devices that are being sold?
Memory prices, i'm guessing cloud computing? memory production for smart devices? desktop computers needing more memory due to 64bit computing?

Associate
I’m currently without a gaming PC, due to insane price of DDR4 I’m really put off building a new one with a brand new CPU, looks like I’m going to have to find a bargain older gen i7 and find a motherboard

Soldato
I’m currently without a gaming PC, due to insane price of DDR4 I’m really put off building a new one with a brand new CPU, looks like I’m going to have to find a bargain older gen i7 and find a motherboard
Plenty of i5/i7 bundles turn up in MM, it's probably your best bet! The industry complains how consumers arn't buying new hardware but then they try and pull stupid **** like this!

Soldato
Don't think we will see much come from any 'investigation' into the big three memory producers....

They are IMO simply making a (from their perspective) sound business decision to allow supply to lag behind (the increasing) demand.

There has (to my knowledge) not been any significant contraction in the supply side (nothing like the floods issue with hard drives just some smaller hiccups) but there has simply been an explosion in demand for memory with smart phones now regularly coming equipped with sizeable amounts of on board RAM for one example ..

New fabs are incredibly expensive to build and have a lead time of at least 12 months for construction and testing of a modern plant. Therefore the companies involved have to weigh up the pros and cons of investing in new ones....

They might make a few more sales in the shorter term but if the market changes they could be left with some billion dollar white elephant style fabs on their books and some serious losses if they expand their capacity faster....

The news that the least two of the major companies have recently been building some extra capacity (here and here) suggests that their existing fabs are working at or near their maximum capacity so I don't think their sandbagging by reducing their capacity from their existing infrastructure to bump up
prices.

So it's somewhat in their interests to be cautious.... I don't see how a regulatory body can 'force' a company to make potentially risky and very expensive investments in new facilities for the sole purpose of increasing overall supply of a product so consumer prices drop...

I'm summary I don't think it's as simple as shouting that it's all down to greedy manufacturers, distributors and retailers.....

Last edited:
Soldato
We are now pretty much at the stage where the RAM for a new build is costing more than the high end, flagship CPU. Utterly ridiculous when you think of the R&D cost in that CPU compared to the memory.

Associate
Well i paid this back in 09/03/2017.

Goods Ordered (prices in GBP)
£141.66 x 1 - Kingston Fury Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C15 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX424C15FBK2/32)

Sub-Total: 141.66
Shipping: 7.25
VAT: 29.78
Total: 178.69

Back
Top Bottom