Is GD just a boring whinge-fest now?

Caporegime
Bit more background in this article

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...-over-jewish-and-muslim-burials-a3738511.html

It seems to be a long running issue between the community and this particular coroner and some of it is, going by the article, justified e.g.

"A judicial review in 2015 found Ms Hassell's decision-making was "flawed" when she ordered a post-mortem against the wishes of a Jewish family when an electronic scan had determined the cause of death".

Doesn't appear to be a nation wide issue but given the communities involved people do need to make it a big whinge-fest (other forums etc).

I wonder how many posters took a few minutes out to find out about Jewish and Muslim laws and customs surrounding burials.

Religious laws, customs and beliefs don't trump state laws or the rights of anyone else.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Religious laws, customs and beliefs don't trump state laws or the rights of anyone else.

Right, but I pointed out that there's a bit more to the story. You've just repeated what other certain posters have been saying.

It appears (based on that article) to be an issue with a specific coroner and a specific London borough/community.

Caporegime
Right, but I pointed out that there's a bit more to the story. You've just repeated what other certain posters have been saying.

It appears (based on that article) to be an issue with a specific coroner and a specific London borough/community.

And? She hasn't acted illegally. These people are expecting preferential treatment. Tough.

Soldato
The coroner can't really be fired. They essentially work for the queen directly and are mostly untouchable. They have direct jurisdiction over deaths which doctors will not sign a medical cause of death certificate for. Usually sudden and accidental deaths, but also anyone who hasn't been under a doctor in the last fortnight or even if they have been, death was unexpected.

Post mortems are usually done within a few days and whilst we try to be mindful of religious requirements, the law takes priority. I've had Muslim families (rare in my area) who have been understanding and waited for the autopsy. I'm sure there are others that have tried to smooth things over with the coroner directly to speed the process up.

Either way, they are unlikely to get far in trying to remove a coroner!

Raz

Raz

Soldato
And? She hasn't acted illegally. These people are expecting preferential treatment. Tough.

Well technically nor have they so let's leave them it sort it out themselves.

These things always come down to them Vs us type arguments when it's hardly ever that.

Capodecina
Soldato
The silly thing is, if we made up a religion and all joined it, we could also make the same claim.

Coroner> sorry you have to wait for other people
Me> huh?
Coroner> they have religious reasons.
Me> I am a member of the Church of Whatever. I also have religious reasons.
Coroner> oh, okay then, my bad.
I must remember to check the Jedi teaching on being pushed out of the airlock . . .

Back
Top Bottom