• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
Where’s the best place to look up mining and get started etc.

I really don’t have much clue about it all but it’s intriguing me!

Any links would be appreciated.

No offense but it's not difficult to search Google or visit the Crypto part of these forums, plenty of information is readily available.

Caporegime
What’s the problem with that? Nothing wrong with it all I’m my eyes, infact I have also jumped on the mining train with a small 4 card rig, as well as starting to invest, I intend to add an additional 3 cards at some point. Miners arnt to blame for the price hikes, retailers are.
You have to look at the big picture/longer term picture. And I don't just mean "poor gamers can't get an upgrade". That's the least of our worries.

We know what the impact of mining is today, and we know that there is potentially no limit to the growth of mining currently.

When all GPUs find their way into mining rigs, when mining accounts for 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 of the world's electricity use, when TSMC is selling all its wafers to mining corps, when all GPU vendors are selling all their stock directly to mining farms...

I hope/pray for a total crash in this crypto madness, because if it keeps growing and growing... it could consume all our resources. That's not even a joke or an over-reaction. Without regulation, since every single GPU makes a profit, since there is no reason not to grow and grow and grow your mining rigs until we all farm with warehouses full of them...

It's not going to end well.

The fact is: people here don't care because in the here and now, they are making some $$$. And that's literally the only thing that matters to many/most of you.

Unless something puts the brakes on this "industry" (which produces nothing), it's going to cause nothing but massive problems in the not-too-distant future. Don't take it from me... economists, environmentalist, politicians... there are people very worried about what crypto means for the future.

Associate
In the volumes they sell at they are making a lot more money than using them to mine.
how does that even make sense ? if the miners are making profit, why AMD wouldn't do more profit with lower overhead doing the same thing ?
all there is, is that there is risk involved and the return on investment takes more time to recoup, if they are not doing it, it's probably because of legal issue.
something i saw on reddit was really funny, AMD now stands for Advanced Mining Devices.
AMD keeps lowering the price of their CPUs, looks like nobody can upgrade their rigs anymore, if AMD ships a lot less ryzen cpu, believe me you will see the swiftest solution to gpu pricing come to life suddenly.

Last edited:
Soldato
how does that even make sense ? if the miners are making profit, why AMD wouldn't do more profit with lower overhead doing the same thing ?
all there is, is that there is risk involved and the return on investment takes more time to recoup, if they are not doing it, it's probably because of legal issue.
something i saw on reddit was really funny, AMD now stands for Advanced Mining Devices.

AMD are manufacturers not end users.

Soldato
So what if AMD/NVIDIA just decided to say stuff you lot and use the cards for mining themselves and not sell them to us at all.

Just think of all the cards a they could have mining, and not having to deal with pesky customers, just sit back and watch the profits roll in.

Of course there would be no more future generations of cards for us gamers but why would they care.

That would make no business sense. Companies like to have several source of revenue. And besides, you are forgetting, mining is a gamble at the end of the day.

Soldato
You have to look at the big picture/longer term picture. And I don't just mean "poor gamers can't get an upgrade". That's the least of our worries.

We know what the impact of mining is today, and we know that there is potentially no limit to the growth of mining currently.

When all GPUs find their way into mining rigs, when mining accounts for 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 of the world's electricity use, when TSMC is selling all its wafers to mining corps, when all GPU vendors are selling all their stock directly to mining farms...

I hope/pray for a total crash in this crypto madness, because if it keeps growing and growing... it could consume all our resources. That's not even a joke or an over-reaction. Without regulation, since every single GPU makes a profit, since there is no reason not to grow and grow and grow your mining rigs until we all farm with warehouses full of them...

It's not going to end well.

The fact is: people here don't care because in the here and now, they are making some $$$. And that's literally the only thing that matters to many/most of you.

Unless something puts the brakes on this "industry" (which produces nothing), it's going to cause nothing but massive problems in the not-too-distant future. Don't take it from me... economists, environmentalist, politicians... there are people very worried about what crypto means for the future.

Woah, woah!! Hold the horses there. Talk about worse case scenario.

You know where all this talk of electricity use for mining came from? An Article by Digiconomist that every other site has based their own doom and gloom articles on.

Another Website analysed those figures and it's basically scaremongering. There is no hard evidence of those figures, and even if those figures are true, they still only amount to a fraction of 1% of the Global demand. Will link the site if you want to read the article.

Permabanned
Woah, woah!! Hold the horses there. Talk about worse case scenario.

You know where all this talk of electricity use for mining came from? An Article by Digiconomist that every other site has based their own doom and gloom articles on.

Another Website analysed those figures and it's basically scaremongering. There is no hard evidence of those figures, and even if those figures are true, they still only amount to a fraction of 1% of the Global demand. Will link the site if you want to read the article.

Was about to say. That article ware as good as AMDs Vega performance slides lol.

Soldato
I really think they need to do something about this. Of course governments don't care that I can't afford to upgrade my PC anymore, but they SHOULD care about the massive amounts of power being wasted mining Bitcoins.

https://powercompare.co.uk/bitcoin/

One more example how greed and stupidity are destroying our environment for future generations.

That link is pretty stupid too, their own information tells you that bitcoin mining generates £5.4 billion per year and at the moment is costing at least £1.1 billion. So the most it could grow is is 5 fold before they start making a loss. So it is complete BS it could us all the world power. Also the power usage figure is also many time over estimated.

A 5 fold power increase would be impossible due to a the limited production of bitcoin mining equipment being made, even a doubling is very unlikely as older machines become unprofitable and are retired.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
But you are making the blanket statement that miners are just greedy.

I don't believe I've said that at all? I've got no problem with people using a couple of GPU's. It's the ones who buy bulk and strip out entire stocks time after time from retailers leaving none for normal consumers to buy at reasonable prices.

I am asking why they can't be content with just using a couple of GPU's to get their money back and just be happy making a small profit for a while.

If you are making enough money, you should turn down the raise. Accepting it is just greedy. But I bet you don't. And I bet if you were working somewhere for a few years and didn't get a raise you would be thinking about changing jobs.

Not sure why this subject of pay rises keeps being mentioned in all honesty. I'm not seeing the connection between a pay rise offered by a company which has no wider effects than between the company and an individual, to someone who keeps buying up all stock of GPU's to make more and more money, which has the effect of raising pricess of said product which some poor person who just wants a single unit to upgrade/build his gaming PC he's been saving for is now unable to do. Not even factoring in the impact of increased electrical useage.

And how do you know that miners aren't helping out other people? Just because they buy a few extra GPUs?

Granted I don't know this either, but I do know they are pricing the average gamer out of their hobby, whether its directly or indirectly. That's why I won't jump on the bandwagon and join in on mining myself, because I happen to care about my gaming hobby, and want prices to revert back to normal RRP, which they never will while miners keep taking every available card at any price.

Associate
Why are OCUK's GPU prices so high compared with competitors? Iv just been on two other sites and they are only slightly above normal price while also being in stock. Iv been loyal to OCUK in the past but this pricing has made me order a 1080ti (£731 msi gaming x) else where. It doesn't make sense especially as people seem to be buying them. Even miners aren't going to recoup the nearly £200 premium OCUK are charging before the new GPU's are released given the higher difficulty and lower value of crypto currency surely?

Back
Top Bottom