• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A New Hope -2500k Edition

Associate
Once upon a time in the year 2012, I decided to take a brave decision to build my first ever gaming PC. With a slight feeling of uneasiness, I wasn't sure what to expect but I just needed to feel thatxperience.

After many minutes (felt like days) browsing on OCUK for a new CPU I pulled the trigger on the MIGHTY Intel 2500k (Sandybridge) CPU. Once it arrived I just gazed at it and thinking " I just paid £250 for a tiny square". But my god, this thing has given me some joy for many years and counting!

After a stressful 2 hours of building my PC I managed to complete it. For some reason I was trying to screw the motherboard to the case without the standoffs and my GOD, I'm so glad I didn't succeed haha. My first build would have ended up in a disaster and I'm certain I'd be left with a stomach full of regret xD

Anyhow, the build was complete, I turned her on and she was running perfectly. Still feeling nervous but also felt asif I accomplished something. This beauty was running for 2 months and one day after a stressful day I got back home and pressed the power button and rthe PC just wouldn't turn on! I instantly felt sick, nervous and useless as I did not have much experience with PC hardware diagnostics. However, after calming down and using my initiative, I found it strange that literally nothing would boot as understanding what PSU is for, I could only think that I had a faulty Powersupply. I quickly grabbed onto my spare PSU (from my other system) put it to the side, unscrewed the side panel off and unplugged all cables from my current PSU and removed it accordingly and swapped it with the other PSU. Biting on my fingers, I pushed the power button and my screen lit up and the light from it was showing me signs of hope!
The PC suddenly came back to life and I couldn't believe that I figured out the source of the problem so quickly.

I replaced my PSU and now my PC has been running smoothly until 6 years later....
Today..my 2500k may be showing signs of age. It had its first BSOD, my screen showed the error code WHEA_UNCORRECABLE_ERROR. With the current specifications running at 4.5ghz at voltage 1.352. I'm hoping it was just a glitch with the power but if it happens again it may mean only one thing:

Does it need more power?
Would a new battery fix it?

I could always potentially decrease the clock to 4.2ghz and lower the voltage.

If anyone has some ideas to give my 2500k A new hope I'd greatly appreciate it :D

P.S: I really hope you guys enjoyed my lil story, I tried to entertain a lil without typing too much ;)

THE END

STEFAN

Soldato
WHEA_UNCORRECABLE_ERROR basically means the cpu is unstable.

If it's been running fine for ages and now your getting this issue it most likely is degradation.

If the CPU hadn't of been running for so long the answer would be to knock it down to 4.4Ghz. But it's the volts causing the degradation.

Maybe the best bet is to knock the volts down to something more gentle and then find the top stable speed at that voltage.

Take it down to 1.3v and find the fastest speed it'll do that those volts.

Last edited:
Associate
I you've managed to go 6 years without a blue screen i'd say that's pretty amazing! I wouldn't worry unless it becomes a regular occurence or you find some other evidence of a fault. The bluescreen may not neccesarily have been caused by the CPU either. These updates to fix meltodwn and spectre have been causing stability issues on some machines, so if your pc has updated recently it could be related. Again, don't worry unless it becomes regular.

Soldato
WHEA_UNCORRECABLE_ERROR usually means you need more vcore. Given that it has been running fine for all these years you will need to lower the clocks or increase the voltage due to degradation it seems

Soldato
I'd give it a touch more volts. 6 years out of it and still going. What's to lose. Never had a cpu more than 3 years myself but keep eye out for a replacement just in case

Soldato
Lower your clock.

I have had a 2500k for nearly 7 years, don't push it hard at that age.

I lowered my clocks about 3 years ago and am running fine at 4.5ghz and 1.4volts.

Also tying to install a motherboard without stand offs is crazy. :eek:

Soldato
Lower your clock.

I have had a 2500k for nearly 7 years, don't push it hard at that age.

I lowered my clocks about 3 years ago and am running fine at 4.5ghz and 1.4volts.

Also tying to install a motherboard without stand offs is crazy. :eek:

The OP's been running fine at 4.5GHz @1.352 volts.

You're running at 4.5GHz @ 1.4 volts and yet, for some reason, you're telling the op to lower their clock as you don't want to "push it hard at that age"??

I'd say to the OP, if the BSOD's become more common try upping the vcore a little. What's the worst that can happen? After all itchy is running his fine at 1.4 volts.....

Soldato
The OP's been running fine at 4.5GHz @1.352 volts.

You're running at 4.5GHz @ 1.4 volts and yet, for some reason, you're telling the op to lower their clock as you don't want to "push it hard at that age"??

I'd say to the OP, if the BSOD's become more common try upping the vcore a little. What's the worst that can happen? After all itchy is running his fine at 1.4 volts.....

I would not dream of upping my volts and speed now, its far too old and degradation can make a massive impact on a cpu.

Lower speed and keep the volts the same. ;)

Soldato
I would not dream of upping my volts and speed now, its far too old and degradation can make a massive impact on a cpu.

Lower speed and keep the volts the same. ;)

Up the volts and keep speed the same ;)

What's the worst that can happen, it's 50 quid for a replacement, or a good excuse for an upgrade if it does die.

Associate
you have two choices if it keeps blue screening. Bump the volts or drop the clock speed. one nudge on either will probably solve it. Personally i would bump the volts but personal preference. a repaste certainly wont hurt. its a brilliant chip one of intels best imo.

unless your getting BSOD daily i would not worry too much it happens.

Back
Top Bottom