Is this the future of sportscar "ownership"

Man of Honour
Porsche said:
How does Porsche Passport work?
Members use the Porsche Passport app to request their next vehicle, including when and where they would like it delivered. A concierge will deliver the new vehicle, transfer everything over to the new vehicle, and ensure you are all set to go. Flip into a new model as often as you would like. Our goal is to ensure you have the perfect vehicle for any occasion.

What's included in a Porsche Passport subscription?
Every subscription includes rights to a vehicle, insurance and unlimited flips between vehicles. There are no mileage limits. The concierge team delivers hand-detailed vehicles to any location within the service area. We take care of all maintenance and repairs so you can focus on driving.

How long can I keep each vehicle?
As long as you want!

http://www.porschepassport.com/#lp-pom-text-796

So for £70 a day, including insurance and maintenance, you get any (non Halo) Porsche in the range for as long as you like, but can flip in to any other model at any time, as often as you like..

So 911 during the week, 911 cab on the weekends to go away, Cayenne for that family trip away to a relatives, Cayman when you fancy an Evo Triangle hoon, and then if you get bored or go on holiday, you simply terminate the agreement and don't pay anything else.

Sure, it's not perfect, but it's less about this specific plan and more about this concept.

OcUK Staff
US only?

Certainly seems a good way to blast around in a few Porsches for a month and test drive the whole none halo range. 31 day minimum requirement is OK.

Soldato
Spoke to a customer the other day about the way forward with owning cars becoming more like mobile phone contracts.

Most people don't want to own a car and just want a monthly figure. Got to go that way with EV and driverless cars I guess.

Man of Honour
OP
US only?

Certainly seems a good way to blast around in a few Porsches for a month and test drive the whole none halo range. 31 day minimum requirement is OK.

At present it seems so, I'd say its standing on the shoulders of the iPhone upgrade scheme, and hell, even Samsung are offering TV's on a monthly upgrade scheme now.

Given the price includes insurance, tyres, servicing, no deposit, and use of 7-8 different models, all delivered to your door from an APP, I can see this type of scheme becoming very popular (obviously at lower price points for differing brands)

OcUK Staff
At present it seems so, I'd say its standing on the shoulders of the iPhone upgrade scheme, and hell, even Samsung are offering TV's on a monthly upgrade scheme now.

Given the price includes insurance, tyres, servicing, no deposit, and use of 7-8 different models, all delivered to your door from an APP, I can see this type of scheme becoming very popular (obviously at lower price points for differing brands)

My point too, if your intention is to blast and drive the living daylights out of some Pork for a month or two, seems perfect, you could totally drive them so hard like rental cars and have nothing more to pay than your £70 per day and fuel, seems a bargain. :D

Soldato
No problem with this concept - it either works or it doesn't, for both owner and consumer, and they'll choose accordingly. I doubt I'd take it up long term, not for a Porsche at these prices at least, but the serviced model of 'ownership' is attractive to many people who are balanced towards cashflow rather than capital.

Man of Honour
I'm sure there are people that this would suit down to the ground, some get very easily bored and hate making not-easily reversed decisions, etc. but its not for me personally.

I've seen a trend towards this in terms of perceptions of ownership in general and seems to be the way some companies are trying to go going forward i.e. software but everyone has different tastes and approaches to how they own and use a product so I hope it doesn't become the de facto approach.

Soldato
Seems like a decent way to try out a load of different Porsche's. I wonder if you could do this whilst on holiday for example? So you spend a month driving across America in a selection of Porsche's, depending on your mood. A few days in each model or something.

Soldato
The "Book by Cadillac" plan in the US has been around for a little while now, and looks quite interesting.

I don't see why this model wouldn't work for a lot of people. I'm on a 6-7 month rotation on my cars from work, and this is the next level of that. Our plan includes all maintenance, insurance etc. One payment for everything. Obviously on the Porsche and Cadillac plans you dont get a new car each time, but if it's a freshly-valeted late-model vehicle then I cant really see a problem.

Soldato
The concept of ownership is shifting, but not for me. I like to own my property.

Same. Like renting a house. Your just paying someone else's mortgage for them and in the end you have nothing.

You would be paying the equivalent of a used Porsche every year, but not own one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Most people don't want to own a car and just want a monthly figure.

This might be what people say but mostly people can't afford to own the car they want to drive brand new but can afford the monthly payments. You'd see a lot less Range Rovers around if you had to have 70k spare to buy one :eek:

There are exceptions to this obviously but generally it's that which has driven the explosion in PCP and not some sort of desire for thrift.

Soldato
Seems like a really interesting idea and concept. As you rightly point out it's evolved from the pay monthly schemes that are so popular for a wide variety of products. I'm personally still a strong believer of true ownership is significantly cheaper in the long run once you look past the sometimes enticing low monthly figures but I can certainly see how this would appeal.

I could see myself signing up for a month or two per year during my annual leave etc to have a little bit of fun and some nice road trips. Will be interesting to see how their T&Cs would compare to the U.S. if this is ever brought here and Europe.

Soldato
This might be what people say but mostly people can't afford to own the car they want to drive brand new but can afford the monthly payments. You'd see a lot less Range Rovers around if you had to have 70k spare to buy one :eek:

There are exceptions to this obviously but generally it's that which has driven the explosion in PCP and not some sort of desire for thrift.

Yeah you put it better than I did.

Even my work window cleaner was telling me how his sons first car is a brand new Audi A4 lease because £209 pm and £209 down. My first almera was a £200 car!

Soldato
It's absolutely the ownership model going forwards and I can see it being the norm.

It gives flexibility, entirely predictable costs, you will never need to:

- Buy a car
- Sell a car
- Take out breakdown cover
- Arrange insurance
- Arrange Tax
- Arrange MOTs
- Arrange servicing
- Arrange any repairs
- Arrange windscreen repairs
- Buy new tyres
- Have a courtesy car
- Hire a car on holiday
- Hire a van or a bigger car for moving

There are a lot of people that would pay a premium for that kind of service. I see it operating slightly differently for the likes of Ford in that there would be tiered pricing and the number of swaps would likely be capped.

Back
Top Bottom