AKG K701/2, K712 and Beyerdynamic DT990 gaming comparison.

V F

V F

Soldato
For binaural sound gaming non-neutrality of tubes likely isn't good.

Such shame that not all game delopers put much effort into sound engines of their games.
Having started PC gaming in 94 besides extreme graphics development also game sounds went lot forward in next ten years.
Then soon after that game sound development stalled badly and even took back steps.

Guess having some hybrid patchwork as game engine isn't helping even though they don't have console limitations...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Champions
Or maybe someone purposely limited sound engine to not give major advantage to those with proper gaming audio setup?
There weren't much of those worries in age of original Quake...:p

Yeah, I read they didn’t want too many sound queues to give an advantage. Sometimes people come up jump pads or come up behind you yet you cannot hear them. They just about appear out of nowhere. Even vertical sound is broken.
Yet they promote esports ready. :rolleyes:

Damn infuriating though.

Seems crazy to gimp sound design yet they gave Visor wall hacking abilities.

V F

V F

Soldato
I've been gaming with a Modmic on K7xx (K702s?) for a long while now and never had any echo issues with the open backs.

Couple of nights ago when I put the headphone volume to 75% or was it 80% volume somebody heard the sound come from them on the Modmic through discord. They thought it was a TV.

I was in omni mode though.

Quake Champions is always loud with action though.

Soldato
In war games having sound come through someone else’s mic adds realism to the game for me. Don’t get that too often these days but I remember back in the COD1&2 days really enjoying hearing the background noise of a battle going on somewhere else.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I read they didn’t want too many sound queues to give an advantage. Sometimes people come up jump pads or come up behind you yet you cannot hear them. They just about appear out of nowhere. Even vertical sound is broken.
Yet they promote esports ready. :rolleyes:

Damn infuriating though.
That's one of those cases when you don't know should you laugh or cry...

With such arbitrary sound behaviour of some sounds practically missing I might start looking if there's something wrong in PC.

In war games having sound come through someone else’s mic adds realism to the game for me. Don’t get that too often these days but I remember back in the COD1&2 days really enjoying hearing the background noise of a battle going on somewhere else.
And at least you know friend isn't just hiding in some corner etc...

V F

V F

Soldato
For binaural sound gaming non-neutrality of tubes likely isn't good.

What should I get instead of altering the windows volume. As that is rather annoying doing it through the keyboard. As it would be better to reach out for a dial.

Soldato
OP
What should I get instead of altering the windows volume. As that is rather annoying doing it through the keyboard. As it would be better to reach out for a dial.
You have keyboard without dedicated media/volume controls?
Lots of keyboards are just overpriced for their lack/scarcity of real extra features.
It's very easy to adjust volume using dedicated volume control with fingers/hands never far from it.
With open headphones just haven't needed mute key to hear what someone is saying.

Though of course separate headphone amplifier would also do it.
Keyboard's volume control is just faster to reach than volume control of Objective2.
When comparing headphones used volume control of my two O2s to get same sound level for both cans then using keyboard's volume control when switching between videos.

V F

V F

Soldato
If I was to go for a headphone amp what would it need to be? The headphones clarity for gaming is clear and loud enough but listening to a lot of twitch streams, their volume is so low that even at max volume it is poor.

It could do with a bit slight more power as I had to find the sweet spot of the Prelude so it wouldn't clip at -9.6dB.

Associate
After much dithering, finally ordered the AKG 712's, my first audiophile headphones :) driven from a SB Z.

Just upgraded the sound card to a Soundblaster AE-5, a noticeable step up in sound quality even to my uneducated ears. The 712's now have a much fuller richer more detailed sound on the same sources, crazy loud though I can only run at 20% windows volume and maybe max 75% app sound level. There are still a few bugs with the drivers though, mostly with switching sound outputs between speakers / headphones but not a deal breaker so far.

Associate
If I was to go for a headphone amp what would it need to be? The headphones clarity for gaming is clear and loud enough but listening to a lot of twitch streams, their volume is so low that even at max volume it is poor.

It could do with a bit slight more power as I had to find the sweet spot of the Prelude so it wouldn't clip at -9.6dB.

The Schit Magni 3 is very popular for a straight headphone amp, or maybe a soundblaster AE-5 as per my post above, both are similar prices.

Soldato
Went for this to see what it is like for now...

SMSL Audio Sap II Pro

How are you finding this AMP?

How would this fare with a pair of AKG K702s and my Panasonic home cinema system?

I need to get something because the wife is moaning about the noise from the surround sound when she's trying to sleep.

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Are there any pros/cons for the K701 vs K702?

Also, what sound card are you using to drive these?
K701 is fixed cable version and should be little cheaper price.
K702 uses mini-XLR connector for cable like other high end AKGs. (+ comes with alternate coiled cable)
Besides obvious easier changing of cable it would also allow using V-moda Boompro Mic if wanting to add mic without separate cable like in ModMic.

Besides having good binaural simulation Sound Blaster Z would likely be enough for gaming use.
For high dynamic range music like classical music it might have occasional problem:
In such music average signal level is low and you'll adjust volume to keep that comfortable and then you have momentary transients with lot higher volume.
And despite of public hallucination of lower ohms being easier that applies only if headphones don't need much power.
When headphones again need above average amount of power lowish impedance means power is taken as current.
And just like for electric network delivering more power as higher current is demanding also for headphone output.
250 ohm Beyers are basically easier load because they draw little current. (assuming output has adequate voltage)

Sound BlasterX AE-5 again would have one of the best headphone outputs of any soundcard capable to driving any normal headphone.

For gaming you really want binaural simulation.
It rises this level headphones to entirely new immersion level.
While with garbage headphones signal doesn't matter because they output garbage anyway...

Back
Top Bottom