Quick credit card advice

Soldato
Just a quick question as to what to do in my situation.....

At the moment, I have 3 main credit cards. (not including a company card in my name too).

All of them are paid off, or have so little on them, I could pay them off now if needed.

I wish to make a relatively large purchase, that is within the credit limit of one of my cards, but.....I would like to pay it back over a longer period of time, interest free.

So, is it bad to apply for a new card, that comes with 2 year interest free on purchases etc, when I have a few cards already?

Can you have too many cards, even if they all have 0 balance?

I generally have a very good credit score, even the cards I have at the moment keep writing me to tell me the limit has increased. I've never been declined for anything like this either, if that makes a difference.

Technically I know if could completely cancel the older cards which I rarely, if ever, use. But I've heard mixed things about even cancelling cards.

Thanks for the help!

Caporegime
Define bad? Providing you're managing your current cards/accounts properly then taking out a new credit card with a 0% interest free period is unlikely to impact you much at all.

I'd probably cancel one you aren't using and take out the new one, job done.

Soldato
OP
ok thanks.

Bad....as in.....it looks potentially bad on a mortgage application that you have many cards (even if all at 0).

Without sounding silly.....how do you now if one will accept you before you apply?

Soldato
Virgin Money card has 25/28 months interest free on purchases. If you have Noddle or Experian you can go via their credit matcher portal for recommended cards for pre-screen and pre approval. I have found Experian works best.

Soldato
Don't know why you'd want so many cards that aren't being used? Just cancel 1 or 2 and get some new deals.

Experian Credit Matcher gives a good idea on acceptance for different cards/loans etc

Associate
Your 3 cards probably already have good balance transfer offers already outstanding / available (as they'll be aware you have 3, and already looking to encourage to bal transfer). I'd suggest putting it on any 1 (without best bal transfer offfer), then transfer the balance over to another within the first month (so no interest on original card).

You might pay maybe 2-3% for the balance transfer fee, then free interest for 24,36 or 48 months.

Back
Top Bottom