iRacing

Man of Honour
Asus VN247 H.

Bought then new in 2014 so they may not be available anymore. Plus they where cheaper end screens at the time anyway.

I've moved to VR now which is probably cheaper and more immersive than a triple screen set up. Takes up less room and electricity as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for verifying Barmyllama.

I'm going to be building my first PC soon for mostly SIM racing. The build will only allow to run 1080p 60hz monitors so looking in the cheaper end of the market.

Would prefer an IPS panel tho. Thanks again.

Soldato
uggghhhh AI!!! Oh Come on
I left because what little interest I ever had in racing against people was battered out of me one frustrating x4 at a time. And because I don't have a competitive streak, except when it comes to movie making. And because I got tired of the endless stream of pointless, diluting content in a sim that claims to be about bringing people together to race.

Oh, and because I gave up work to look after my mother and can now only drive anything with a pause button. So this might give me an excuse to use the $300 or so of iRacing credits I still have in my dormant account. I do miss my Skip Barber, I just don't miss some Aussie with a high ping bumping me off the track and driving off unharmed.

Ah, I can feel my blood pressure rising already, and my last race was what... four years ago? I forget. Maybe dementia's contagious. :->

I also cynically think that this will drive revenue for iRacing. Not just in new or returning members (most sim racers don't seem to go online much to race) but in new content. I assume most series still get relatively low participation, making races by appointment only. But if you can race a car any time (hopefully on any track!) with AI then it makes it easier to justify a purchase out of curiosity.

Of course this is iRacing, so we're likely to be having this conversation again this time next year. Have they re-scanned Lime Rock yet? :)

Associate
Oh dont get me wrong Andrew i think lots of people will enjoy AI, I'm a long term Iracing fanboi I'm on it pretty much every week but I'm starting to get tired of them working on stuff we don't really need instead of fixing the ever growing issues that have crept into the sim over the years. You are right Re-scanning Lime rock is one of them, I don't understand why they havent done that considering its the first thing new members see when they join up on the road side. Stuff like day/night cycle and proper weather should be their main concern and maybe implementing proper DX11 graphics.

Still its number 1 for drop in races, how far did you get Andrew? Once you get into C class + races its really good! Yeah you will sometimes still get punted but a lot of time its because I'm too slow in a corner.

Soldato
I'm not sure if you read the rest of the Dev post but it goes on to talk about an updated graphics and damage physics, day to night will be done this year as well as the LMP 1 cars. New tyre model as well and new UI although not too fussed about that. In regards to Lime Rock, I believe they have re-scanned it but soon after Lime Rock announced a redevelopment plan to possibly change the layout so they put that on hold till it's finished.

This is the full post if anyone without a sub wants to read it:

First of all, Happy New Year to all of our members. We also want to sincerely thank you for your membership.

We know that some members are always curious what is next in regard to development. We do try and share what we can when appropriate. Various factors may dictate when we start discussing development on xyz feature, upgrade or xyz content.

We also might not exactly work on what you want as fast as you want, but keep in mind we are developing for many types of racing. The totality of all the “niches” makes iRacing a much better and sustainable sim for everyone. We also believe action speaks louder than words and we are proud of what we accomplished in 2017.

It would be too long for a forum post to cover everything we are working on nor can I talk about everything for various reasons. However, I can confirm a few of the larger projects in the works that we have already discussed publically and spill the beans on a new project.

New graphical and physical damage model. Making great progress on this massive project and we are really excited about it. There are so many different parts to it but getting to the polish on many parts of it. We expect to move it into the testing environment in the coming months and shooting for a 2018 release but as usual no promises.

Dynamic time of day/moving clouds/day to night. Working night and day on day to night and the goal is to release this year.

New Tire Model Version. Already testing locally and we are excited about it, Dave Kaemmer to write about in the coming weeks. Again, should release this year.

New Interface and User experience inside and out of the sim. The new app is now in beta, and members have access to it. The first giant step is to get the new design and application up and working with our new technology to include all the functionality and more of our existing website. We are almost there in that regard. We still have many plans once that happens so it will be a continued evolution over a long period of time. For example, we have much more we want to do when it comes to user-experience, this new system and app will allow us to do that. For example, we want to create an onboarding process for new members including getting them on track with some basic instruction, guided tours, more on-line help, better organization and much more.

Ok, this will be a “shocker” to some. We are working on AI/Artificial cars and in fact very far down the road with the project. In fact, we should release it this year as well. Hardcore folks take a deep breath. We are not straying even the slightest from our philosophy of trying to create the most accurate and detailed simulation we can along with the best head to head racing competition. This has been an isolated project being done by a small team and has not impacted any other development.

However, having this feature will allow for many opportunities for members and for us to continue to grow. It will allow members to practice in a simulated setting before getting on track with real cars which is a good thing, especially for people new to sim racing. It will also allow for a more relaxed and fun format which will be a welcome addition from time to time for even hard-core members. Now you don’t need to go to another racing game for AI. Ha Ha. It will bring in many new members who will use it as a stepping stone to head to head racing. It allows us to have a much more competitive demo option for potential new customers in various settings like trade shows or even on-line trials. At the end of the day, it is a huge feature and request in regard to the overall market. It will be a free addition to members and yet another option for you under your membership. If AI not for you, great, but you will still benefit. The work has helped improve our multiplayer net code and player car code which will be out on members about the time we launch AI. We also feel it will help novice drivers and again boost the overall service.

Right now our plan is roll out options of one-off AI races along with a season-long “career” in which you can build your own schedule/series. We have other plans as well down the road to increase the fun factor in regard AI. We likely will roll out AI for a large chunk of the racing including oval and road. Some cars and types of racing might be held back initially because of all the different variables we need to work out. For example joker laps and going over the jumps for GRC. There are many other things like that which we are working on now. The web development side of this is also significant and still much work to do there before we can roll it out. There will be a "difficulty" choice or “slider” option. More information as we get closer will be available.

Alright, well, this is getting long but much more in the works in terms of features and improvements.

As far as content, working on multiple new tracks including road, oval, dirt and GRC and a complete redo of an oval track. Hopefully we will plug away on more tracks. Literally dozens of cars in the works in some form of production or licensing. Including many new road cars and updates to existing road and oval cars. We already shared working on LMP1 cars, you should have those as soon as the next season build. These cars are a lot of work to build! More to come on content and everything else as we move forward. I hope you liked the Chili Bowl Video.
3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif

We are expecting another good year, and we hope you agree when the year is over.

Thanks again!

Soldato
I'm starting to get tired of them working on stuff we don't really need instead of fixing the ever growing issues that have crept into the sim over the years.
As I inferred in my post, I would have preferred a much more tightly focused, highly honed project where you always have many splits to stream drivers rather than many streams to split drivers. Quality v quantity. But iRacing has to be a business first and after a disappointing start for them (they expected far more people to be attracted to their initial vision) they had to start chasing revenue with more content, and I can pretty much guarantee that AI is coming for the same reason. They need to attract anyone they can and keep them for as long as possible. I suspect it will affect official racing more than they anticipate though, so hopefully enough people will be drawn (back) in to make up for that.

Still its number 1 for drop in races,
For those who enjoy online competition it has no serious rivals. I always enjoyed the idea of competing, but the stress meant I was usually content to drive rather than race. So I got to A on both sides very quickly and never dropped except when I got frustrated one day and spent ten minutes bashing my car against a barrier until I was back to C again on Road. I had fun getting back to A (doing the gamer thing, watching numbers get bigger!) but someone as slow and cautious as me shouldn't be able to get to A; it makes the system meaningless. Reaching A should be an achievment, but it just means you're not an idiot. :)

Of course the main reason I want to go back is for the forums. I miss those oval rednecks! It's like Deliverance only with dueling pickup trucks instead of picks.

Soldato
For those who enjoy online competition it has no serious rivals. I always enjoyed the idea of competing, but the stress meant I was usually content to drive rather than race. So I got to A on both sides very quickly and never dropped except when I got frustrated one day and spent ten minutes bashing my car against a barrier until I was back to C again on Road. I had fun getting back to A (doing the gamer thing, watching numbers get bigger!) but someone as slow and cautious as me shouldn't be able to get to A; it makes the system meaningless. Reaching A should be an achievment, but it just means you're not an idiot. :)

Of course the main reason I want to go back is for the forums. I miss those oval rednecks! It's like Deliverance only with dueling pickup trucks instead of picks.

Your licence is just how safe you are really nobody takes it as to how fast/good you are. You have proved your not a liability on track so they let you do the 'better' races. Irating is how good your are and the better your irating the more likely you will be in the top splits with the big boys.

Soldato
Your licence is just how safe you are really nobody takes it as to how fast/good you are.
Nobody lets you drive an F1 car because you're safe! :) But then this is a game, and repairs cost nothing (sadly, but that's a different subject). So maybe I'll let them off, but I do think the class system is misleading and iRating should factor into access.

FWIW, my oval iRating was probably accurate, at about 1100 IIRC, because restarts mean you're racing closely for longer and it's harder to hide on the track. But my road was something daft like 3000, because I usually raced at quiet times with no splits in the Skip Barber and simply bumbled along to the finish in the top half when many quit. That gave an apparent reputation I didn't deserve. I'd never have got to 3000 in a more tightly focused sim with fewer, busier series.

But then if iRacing had gone down that route they'd never have kept the 'we need a Super Late Model' or 'we need a Lotus 67' gangs, and it's by learning how to scratch all those fickle itchers that iRacing has survived beyond John Henry's hefty initial subsidy (assuming he's not still doing so). I can hardly complain now they're finally getting round to scratching my itch... almost a decade after I first joined. Time flies!

Soldato
I finished 4th in split 8 in the Ferrari (sof for GTE was insane) Race went ok for us, we had a driver get disconnected twice while in the car and suffered from a number of bumps from other cars. But we got it to the end kind of in one piece.

Soldato
Nice result Mike.

Yeah I get the SOF! That said, 17 splits, so that's nearly 1000 registered teams... We registered with a 2.8K iRating and only got into split 7, where 3.2K got us into split 3 last year. That said only two classes in previous years.

We finished 6th in Split 7 in the DP. Got assaulted by "ze Germans" in GT cars twice in the early hours. Got away with just a spin and a few seconds repairs on the first one, second one merited a meatball and lost us a couple of laps for bodywork and steering repairs. Then lost another couple of laps when I got a red Q bar and got disconnected about 6am at the only part of the race where we had no cover. Might have been a podium otherwise.

Can't wait for Bathurst in a few weeks. :D

Man of Honour
Someone is supposed to be collecting my Obutto Revolution at the weekend, which is the last of my sim gear. I don't even have a graphics card in my PC anymore. I can't say I've missed the sim racing or PC gaming to be honest.

Anyone want to buy an iRacing account? :)

Back
Top Bottom