Re-packaged goods from OCUK competitor

Associate
Not looking to call out names - but i'd say they're in the top 3 or 4 online PC retailers.

Never had any problems before, but just received a EK Revo D5 (after looking for the cheapest price)

Its clearly re-packaged return - there are round translucent stickers on top of already cut stickers on the box, aswell as a scratch on the pump casing.

As it's clearly scratched - I think I can return (albeit very disappointing) / will be calling them in the morning.

In the normal case, what's the deal with companies being allowed to sell returns? I know here there is the B Grade section, to be transparent - but is this something OCUK do out of good will / is it legal to re-sell returned as new?

NB, im hoping no kick in nuts in having to pay my own return postage.

Soldato
it is not illegal to sell goods that have been used and returned, but the Trades Descriptions Act and the Sale of Goods Act both say that goods have to be described accurately. So I tend to think that a returned item is not new, and therefore they are breaking those acts and the law.

Typically if they are used and the retailer permits returns, and there are no issues with the product, then they can be sold as "like new" or opened box. Retailers tend to have a restocking fee to make up for some of the loss, as like new will demand a lower asking price.

If the product is faulty and the retailer is pushing it out to someone else again, if is was described to have the fault, then fine. If not then the company has either has made a genuine mistake, or an employee in said company needs re-training/re-educating or just a beating and firing. Or if it is a company wide accepted process, the company won't be here next year.

Associate
OP
it is not illegal to sell goods that have been used and returned, but the Trades Descriptions Act and the Sale of Goods Act both say that goods have to be described accurately. So I tend to think that a returned item is not new, and therefore they are breaking those acts and the law.

Typically if they are used and the retailer permits returns, and there are no issues with the product, then they can be sold as "like new" or opened box. Retailers tend to have a restocking fee to make up for some of the loss, as like new will demand a lower asking price.

If the product is faulty and the retailer is pushing it out to someone else again, if is was described to have the fault, then fine. If not then the company has either has made a genuine mistake, or an employee in said company needs re-training/re-educating or just a beating and firing. Or if it is a company wide accepted process, the company won't be here next year.

Casnt labelled or identified as used / returned. If it didnt have the scratch/damage on the casing, then if you squint are they inside the trade descriptions act - even though it's repackaged?

The inner sticker (the proof of openning / tear once) from EK is still in tact - so clearly whoever bought it before, took it out of the cardboard, dropped/scratched it (accidently or not), then returned. So oddly, this means they could not have tested it to know if it's faulty.

Soldato

amazon have been found to do it and will certainly be here next year :p

to the op, raise an rma and advise them the goods have clearly been used. don't let them try and fob you off or ask you to return at your expense with a view to refund once confirmed.

Associate
OP

to the op, raise an rma and advise them the goods have clearly been used. don't let them try and fob you off or ask you to return at your expense with a view to refund once confirmed.

Not rainforest, nor a seller on rainforest but suspect they'll also still be here next year.

That's my concern - I end up having to pay for the pleasure of posting back - on top of my £4.79 already paid for "E carriage" of DPD dropping off in my local shop; more the principal than the cost.

Their customer service is only open Monday to Friday 9:00 to 17:30 and Saturday 10:00 to 14:00, so I guess I'll have to give them a ring, although pushing for RMA also feels a bit wrong, as it's not really the product or manufacturer likely at fault?

Soldato

it isn't their standard process though. that is why they have amazon warehouse. although of course accidents happen or people don't do the right thing.. doesnt mean the company is *bad* within the restriction of this case.

Sounds like a simply return, goods received damaged

Last edited:
Soldato
If you thought you were buying a new product and it's scratched and has broken seals on the packaging then you are absolutely within your rights to reject it at no cost to yourself.

If you bought it as second hand, or shop display stock or refurbished then you don't really, unless there's a fault with it.

Associate
OP
Does the company rhyme with fan?

Sure there was a thread last year about OCUK doing this to someone with a laptop. Cant remember the outcome of that tho.

Certainly would be good to look at this, if you can find it - i've had a quick search without avail. I wonder if this is the same problem.

If you thought you were buying a new product and it's scratched and has broken seals on the packaging then you are absolutely within your rights to reject it at no cost to yourself.

If you bought it as second hand, or shop display stock or refurbished then you don't really, unless there's a fault with it.

It's that they do it / the audacity that makes me question if there's something wrong in my understanding of what's OK and not OK or what the trading acts actually mean.

Back
Top Bottom