Computer Booting by its self

Associate
Hey folks, anyone know why my PC would be randomly booting by its self? It never used to and the bios has been updated to latest to try rule out any issues, I've reinstalled windows with no joy. some times it could boot straight after I shut down and some times may take 10 minutes and it boots automatically again. I thought then it may have been bios settings to boot from LAN or turn PC on with LAN or whatever its called but its disabled.

Asus 170 gaming
32gb Ram
GTX 1060 6GB

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Hey folks, anyone know why my PC would be randomly booting by its self? It never used to and the bios has been updated to latest to try rule out any issues, I've reinstalled windows with no joy. some times it could boot straight after I shut down and some times may take 10 minutes and it boots automatically again. I thought then it may have been bios settings to boot from LAN or turn PC on with LAN or whatever its called but its disabled.

Asus 170 gaming
32gb Ram
GTX 1060 6GB

Thanks in advance.

have you tried flashing back if it was working before ?

Associate
OP
have you tried flashing back if it was working before ?
Sorry I didn't explain it right, I flashed it to try remove the issue.

If you open command prompt type in:
powercfg -lastwake
- To show what last woke the computer

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
- To show what can wake the computer.

HID-compliant mouse
HID-compliant mouse (001)
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
HID Keyboard Device
Plugable Ethernet
HID Keyboard Device (001)

So going by that it seems, My mouse and keyboard can make it boot? I've booth from Ethernet disabled in bios.

Associate
Mouse, Keyboard and Ethernet. But you say that you disabled that in BIOS so it should override Windows.

You can go in to device manager and stop them waking the computer. Should be in properties > power management > allow this device to wake the computer.

Associate
OP
Mouse, Keyboard and Ethernet. But you say that you disabled that in BIOS so it should override Windows.

You can go in to device manager and stop them waking the computer. Should be in properties > power management > allow this device to wake the computer.

Thanks for that, I cant reboot now as the computer is rendering video but will try that later and hope it works. Its annoying as hell to be honest. You think you have it shut down and come into the room for something 20 mins later and its sitting at login stage again.

Soldato
Not sure about your bios, but all my wake-from options are separate and have independant settings, lan, mouse and keyboard. Disabling wake-from-lan won't necessarily(i'd not expect it to) disable the other wake-on features, they may(probably are) listed as a separate setting.

Soldato
The two most likely things are the mouse being sensitive and picking up vibrations, or the lan waking up the PC. Intel PCs have a set of parameters built into the drivers (accessed from device manager -> network driver -> power management) which give a load of options for wake on lan. Note the little scroll bars might be hiding extra settings.

Associate
OP
OK guys a little update, done all the above and that's super, it worked, PC no longer turns its self on. However on that note I now have another issue, since doing those the PC will not turn on first time, it wont post. I have to turn it off via holding in the button and boot it again, then get the usual error "the PC was turned off holding in the button". I wouldn't think that disabling those above would have any affect on the PC not posting sure would it?

Associate
Well make up your mind. First you say it boots when you don't want it to, now you say it won't boot when you do want it to! :p

I dunno, bum PSU? Mine developed a fault where it would need to be switched on and off at the wall (well the switch on the back) or it wouldn't boot. Not the same issue, granted. But it was faulty because seasonic replaced it under warranty.

Associate
OP
Well make up your mind. First you say it boots when you don't want it to, now you say it won't boot when you do want it to! :p

I dunno, bum PSU? Mine developed a fault where it would need to be switched on and off at the wall (well the switch on the back) or it wouldn't boot. Not the same issue, granted. But it was faulty because seasonic replaced it under warranty.
Aww that's me all over, can never make up my mind lol.
Hmm... Guess only way to test supply is try new one or is there an easier way?

Back
Top Bottom