Looking for a Keyboard Upgrade from a G15 V2

Associate
Hey Folks so I need your Help I've been using the Above Keyboard for the past 8 years and I do Love it but its showing its age with Key's sticking etc.

I also have a G9 Mouse but couldn't part with it for anything haha.

So I would like something with RGB Backlighting and preferably a full size keyboard as that's what im use to.

Also Does Mechanical make that much of a Difference and if so which would be the best for gaming as that's what I do 90% of the time the keys on my G15 are pretty quiet so would like some similar?

I Have around 100 pounds to spend Although I did get a 20 pound Voucher for a Certain site beginning with A for Christmas so could put that to use any help is greatly appreciated :)

Soldato
Also Does Mechanical make that much of a Difference and if so which would be the best for gaming as that's what I do 90% of the time the keys on my G15 are pretty quiet so would like some similar?
"Mechanical" keyboards have different behavior to membrane/rubber dome switches in that instead of at bottoming moment they recognize key press half way down the movement.
They're also more durable, though myself didn't have problem in that before getting Cherry MX Brown Logitech G710+

Also they come with different force curves:
There are linear switches with increasing amount of resistance depending on how deep key is pressed.
Such switches with some feel before "actuation" point (where key press is recognized) tend to have harder force to keep them bottomed for some crouching/running key.
While light to keep at bottom switches don't have much any feel if you like to rest fingers on keys. (risk of accidental key presses)

Another type is non-linear switches with bump in force curve before actuation point while light to keep bottomed, like Cherry MX Brown.
That allows more resting of finger on key while being comfortably light to keep bottomed.
Without any experience from mechanical keyboards I would recommed such switch.

But having lot more complex design with more parts they're also good amount noisier.
That membrane/rubber dome dampens noises nicely while also not kicking key cap back to top position as hard as spring.
MX Blue which is more tactile than MX Brown has even additional noise effect to imitate sound of mechanical type writers and I call it as MX Retro.
Adding rubber o-rings helps only to bottoming noise so that's not that good solution.
(G710+ has those factory installed)

So you would likely want very rarely used Cherry MX Silent or Logitech's Omron made Romer-G.
Cherry MX Silent is extremely rare and haven't seen other than light linear force curve Red type switches of it.
Logitech's Romer-G keyboards are again easily available.
G810 Orion Spectrum is normal keyboard with multimedia/volume keys, while G910 has additional macro keys.
I think with that voucher you could fit also G910 to budget.

Associate
OP
Ok Thanks for your Help sounds quite complex I Use a Headset when im gaming so doubt having Louder keys would make much of a Difference?

Looking at a Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire atm can get a Refurbished one for a little under 100 pounds how would that suit my needs I mainly play FPS games so think the MX Speed switches should be ideal?

Soldato
Ok Thanks for your Help sounds quite complex I Use a Headset when im gaming so doubt having Louder keys would make much of a Difference?

Looking at a Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire atm can get a Refurbished one for a little under 100 pounds how would that suit my needs I mainly play FPS games so think the MX Speed switches should be ideal?
Likely closed design is actually overal bad for sound so if you ever get better headphones might want to take noise into consideration.
Besides 360 degree directionality this has very good sense of also distance if headphones are good for gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8xZp0WPwxs
Fashion just usually lacks any connection to good or sense so don't wonder if that doesn't sound anything with those "gaming" headsets.

MX Speed is shortened travel version of MX Red so it has even less margin for resting fingers on key if you're used to that.
Sound wise it's similar to other Cherry MXes...
Except MX Blue which has purposely added extra noise effect and should be called as MX Retro, because faster typing makes it sound lot like old fashioned type writers.
Romer-G has also shorter travel and faster actuation than standard Cherry MX. So in that its difference to MX Speed is insignificant compared to other factors.

Also if you're looking for certain look Romer-G focuses all light to key cap for very subtle style:
While transparent casing of Cherry MX RGBs leaks light all around key caps:
(single colour Cherry MX has issues in illuminating all key markings)

When getting this price keyboard only approriate to make sure that you like its look, right?

Associate
Logitech g910 mate (newer version) with your phone/tablet has a screen, it has a built in stand for phone

Soldato
I just replaced my ancient G15 (the membrane annoyingly split on the W key and it started getting stuck down) with a K55. I didn't need the extra tat on the more expensive boards.

Mechanical keys do tend to be noisy. The K55 is a membrane so it's quite like the G15.

Soldato
I've got the K70 RGB and it's a lovely piece of hardware. Software is pretty good when it works, can be a little flaky though.

I'd happily go for a more membrane like keyboard in future, I bought into the mechanical hype but if I'm honest the G910 does appeal, a review said that whilst mechanical it had a softer feel. I find mechanicals noisey with a 'clacky' feel.

Each to their own though.

Soldato
I find mechanicals noisey with a 'clacky' feel.
Most mechanical switches simply are designed to not give a damn about noise (some even adding extra noise) with hard plastic pieces hitting each others when bottoming and when spring kicks switch up after you release key cap.
Romer-G is about only common/more sold switch type designed with damping for those two noise sources.
Cherry's similarly damped MX Silent is used in only two Corsair keyboards.

I think I might get Logitech G810 tomorrow.
With nearly five years using G710+ which has MX Browns with factory installed o-rings thought I can now try something quieter.
Those o-rings soften only bottoming noise and avoiding sharper noise and rattling of keycap needs letting key cap up softly instead of lifting finger away fast.

Soldato
Most mechanical switches simply are designed to not give a damn about noise (some even adding extra noise) with hard plastic pieces hitting each others when bottoming and when spring kicks switch up after you release key cap.
Romer-G is about only common/more sold switch type designed with damping for those two noise sources.
Cherry's similarly damped MX Silent is used in only two Corsair keyboards.

Indeed. As I said I bought into the hype. I've fitted after Market o rings which have helped a little.

I do really enjoy my K70 but as I said feel that mechanical is sung as a revolution and for me, they're noisey and I don't enjoy th feel. I do have MX Browns so maybe something like a red, or even the silenced, might be more suitable.

May I ask why you're opting for the 810 rather than the 910?

Soldato
I do have MX Browns so maybe something like a red, or even the silenced, might be more suitable.
MX Red isn't any quieter.
It just lacks that accidental presses very effectively preventing resistance before actuation point with its very light linear force curve.
MX Black has more feel before actuation, but it's more stressing to keep pressed down for example in games unlike Brown.
MX Silent is only available in Red and Black force curve variants and only keyboards with it apparently use Red variant.

Soldato
I find mechanicals noisey with a 'clacky' feel.
Romer-G certainly lacks that sharp clacky rattling noise.
Whole noise is lot lower frequency one and has smoother profile.

Physical feel again is different from Cherrys.
While general force curve is similar non-linear to MX Brown there isn't much any lower resistance area before tactile bump.
Instead that force bump is pretty near top position and is lot wider giving stiffer feel despite of peak force being nearly identical.
Going to need some time for getting used to it after nearly five years of MX Brown.
Though don't find myself missing key presses.
For someone used to MX Reds it would be certainly very stiff feeling.

But damn that quieter, smooth, lower frequency noise is nice...
And no super flashy American Christmas lights look of Cherry MX RGBs.

Back
Top Bottom