Separating from my wife.

Associate
Hi
My wife has had an affair, do I have any rights regarding the house?
For info we are both owners of the house with only 7 months left on the mortgage.
She wants to sell and she gets half, I don't want to sell but can't buy her out.

Anyone with useful info?

Soldato
Could you not remortgage and release equity, and use that released equity to buy her out?

Anyway, solicitor will be very useful. Really sorry to hear of the situation.

Soldato
As above, speak to a solicitor asap.

Do you have kids together?

Also speak to a mortgage broker and ask them what your options are to remortgage the property to release funds to pay to your soon to be ex-wife. She may have assets that you are entitled to such as a company pension or savings so you may not need to give her half of the value of the house.

Dont rush into anything and dont agree to anything until you have spoken to a solicitor and thought through the options carefully.

Caporegime
If kids are involved the house might not go 50/50 depending on who will be the primary carer.

She wants to sell and she gets half, I don't want to sell but can't buy her out.

You could live together in anger, and both lead separate lives...Not very healthy.

Associate
if you can sort it out between yourself's before getting a solicitor (they will drain you both of your cash) that would be the best option

Soldato
You need a solicitor but I can tell you that you have to have a reason to divorce. She can’t actually divorce you really as she has no grounds so you can delay beyond 7 months easily. In fact if you don’t mind staying married then it’ll be 5 years before she has a legitimate divorce reason of uncontestable separation. And she’ll have to prove you were separated too so will need to leave for the five years and not live in the house for it to be watertight for her. Basically you can make her life difficult by not agreeing to want to divorce.

Eventually it will have to happen though and a financial order will mean that she’ll get her half one way or another.

Soldato
if you can sort it out between yourself's before getting a solicitor (they will drain you both of your cash) that would be the best option

This can't be done, so bad advice I'm afraid.

OP even if you could buy her out, it would take the best part of 7 months to process that so what's the point?

See a solicitor ASAP

Associate
OP
Could you not remortgage and release equity, and use that released equity to buy her out?

Anyway, solicitor will be very useful. Really sorry to hear of the situation.

Don't know, have not gone that far yet.

As above, speak to a solicitor asap.

Do you have kids together?

Also speak to a mortgage broker and ask them what your options are to remortgage the property to release funds to pay to your soon to be ex-wife. She may have assets that you are entitled to such as a company pension or savings so you may not need to give her half of the value of the house.

Dont rush into anything and dont agree to anything until you have spoken to a solicitor and thought through the options carefully.

Yes we have 3, 20, 16 and 8

If kids are involved the house might not go 50/50 depending on who will be the primary carer.

You could live together in anger, and both lead separate lives...Not very healthy.

That's what we are doing at the moment and it's not easy.

I also live in Chorley and am looking for a new house. Is yours nice? :)

Disclaimer - I have not had an affair with your wife!

Hahaha, needs a few running repairs but nothing serious. Just cosmetic.

As far as I know it's a guy from Blackburn.

Back
Top Bottom