China bans hip hop culture

Permabanned
Hip hop is a black movement with the intent of regressing the societal strides made by the world, primarily from the toil of my white forefathers. Most notably bridge building, industrialisation, and slavery have all been the 'victims' of hip hop.

Soldato
Hip hop is a black movement with the intent of regressing the societal strides made by the world, primarily from the toil of my white forefathers. Most notably bridge building, industrialisation, and slavery have all been the 'victims' of hip hop.

What the **** are you talking about? It's primarily a black movement that allowed black people to express their frustration with being treated as second class citizens by the US government, despite the release of their people from slavery. Essentially, it was a response to being treated as little more than slaves.

Caporegime
Please can we do it too.
Yes, please.

Hip hop = "culture"? Seriously?

99% of hip hop clap trap is glorifying gang violence, murdering people, calling women "hos", and generally being a backwards savage.

If this is culture then so is being a Neo Nazi.

Caporegime
Yes, please.

Hip hop = "culture"? Seriously?

99% of hip hop clap trap is glorifying gang violence, murdering people, calling women "hos", and generally being a backwards savage.

If this is culture then so is being a Neo Nazi.

Hip Hop has changed radically since it's origins in the 1970's

I don't recall Grandmaster Flash or Afrika Bambataa glorifying violence or murdering people. You can't tar it all with the same brush.

Gangsta Rap seems to be what you are reffering to, which is a sub-culture of hip-hop.

I take it you never listened to 'The Message'?

Caporegime
What the **** are you talking about? It's primarily a black movement that allowed black people to express their frustration with being treated as second class citizens by the US government, despite the release of their people from slavery. Essentially, it was a response to being treated as little more than slaves.
That bears no resemblence to what it is today. Which as Narj said is all about criminal behaviour, gangs, money/bling, being awful to women, drugs, and generally promoting the idea that being a complete **** is a good thing for the easily influenced children who listen to it.

Permabanned
I don't blame them for banning it, one of the few american exports I wish we could send back.

You see black/mixed race people here listening to this rubbish but their upbringing has nothing in common with any of the lyrics yet they idolize these people, I guess people are strange and easily influenced is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gangsta Rap seems to be what you are reffering to, which is a sub-culture of hip-hop.
OK but when was the last time R1 played hip hop that wasn't gangsta rap? Or MTV. Which is what the kids are listening to.

It's all about the drive-bys and OD'ing hookers. And having fat stacks, dawg.

Caporegime
All the teenagers I know (My nephews and his mates) listen to Grime which is very much a British thing spawned from UK Garage and jungle.

It's not a hip-hop subgenre....

Soldato

I don't recall Grandmaster Flash or Afrika Bambataa glorifying violence or murdering people. You can't tar it all with the same brush.

I take it you never listened to 'The Message'?

In this thread I've learnt that all rap is gangster rap about gang banging

Associate
basedobama.jpg

Soldato
It is a culture that in my opinion normalises dysfunctional lifestyle and has helped hold many already disadvantaged people back.

This is not true of everything in the HipHop world of course and as a person far removed from the world of gang violence I can enjoy it as pure entertainment. But as a culture is it deserving of respect or something to aspire to? other than the good poetic skills that are demonstrated, I think not.

I own and listen to 90s hiphop frequently and I hold this view.

Soldato
hip hop is not culture

Of course it is. Don't be ignorant just because you don't like it.

That bears no resemblence to what it is today. Which as Narj said is all about criminal behaviour, gangs, money/bling, being awful to women, drugs, and generally promoting the idea that being a complete **** is a good thing for the easily influenced children who listen to it.

Quite possibly, but that's no reason to determine that a group of people should be excluded from the visibility of mainstream society. Most people who are going to be influenced by it already live in that culture.

Soldato

I don't recall Grandmaster Flash or Afrika Bambataa glorifying violence or murdering people.

Or modern-day rappers like Run The Jewels. I know the lad’s name is Killer Mike but the worst he’s ever said is that he’s glad that Reagan is dead.

I’m guessing the Chinese authorities don’t like hip hop because it’s subversive.

Soldato
Quite possibly, but that's no reason to determine that a group of people should be excluded from the visibility of mainstream society.

The people who are being deprived of visibility are entertainers and actors. Literally people who are using the media to make money.

It is not a ban on a group of people, it is a ban on specific acts to show. If the same people change their act they can be broadcast.

Back
Top Bottom