• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
I've been playing with the soft power tables and this is my water cooled air card mining cryptonight (hash is 1650-2000H/s). The same tweaks apparently work well for Ethereum too and it's certainly a lot cooler - and uses less watts - than the water block alone. I was trying to work out what's causing the power spikes on Vega and wondered if it was workload related. Doesn't appear to be....

You can check out the guide I used here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/comments/74hjqn/monero_and_vega_the_definitive_guide/

HWINFO Screen here: https://ibb.co/iUJr6w
iUJr6w

You can also "comment out" the first 6 core and first 3 memory P-states by adding ";0" to the end of your setups in OverdriveNTool .ini files in order to force P_7 and P_4 core and memory states, respectively, per vega.miningguides.com. Eg., one line would read: "GPU_0=852;900;0". This is apparently one way to add stability to xmr-stak. Pretty weird to watch the cards spool up to P_7 as soon as that is set. Note that you'll then run at the highest P-states until you restart or reset the cards, so it's really only good for mining.

Speaking of which, I should have a 1000W Seasonic Prime Ultra PSU on the way here shortly so I can *finally* let the cards stretch their legs a bit in XFire.

Associate
Yeah I've had a play with that too. I have to say that as long as I don't use ANY monitoring software it runs rock solid at a shade under 2kH/s. I'm running my single Vega64 on an RM1000x so have plenty of head room :)

Permabanned
Anyone else having trouble with Radeon ReLive?

Some games it freezes for few seconds when it's running in background? Not recording but I imagine caching for the instant replay function?

Rainbow six siege and battalion 1944 suffered from it. Also at times I get micronstuttering.

Have a Vega 64 and Ryzen 1700x with 16gb 3200 ram so can't be the system. I'm recording at 1080p on high.

Strangely battalion seemed to work better when I capped my fps to below 100 and not have it at 144hz which is my monitors refresh rate.

Anyone experience similar?

I'm glad to see it's not just me, :D I've been getting microstutter in some games (not all) with the replay setting on, I've turned it off for now.

Soldato
Is anyone running 2 vegas in xfire/mgpu? I'm wondering if I'm the only person having problems with mine.

Everything seems okay with only one card in (tested both cards although not particularly rigorously) but with two cards running together I get crashes after about 30 mins or so where the entire screen goes mental with colours and the system needs a hard reset. This has been happening in AotS running DX12 mGPU or other games with xfire enabled in driver.

Could be lack of reliable support in drivers (this has been happening on all drivers that I've installed for a while) or possibly other components so I'm interested to see whether others have had any troubles with multi-vega.

If not I guess I could always sell one of the 64s to a keen miner :p

Associate
Is anyone running 2 vegas in xfire/mgpu? I'm wondering if I'm the only person having problems with mine.

Everything seems okay with only one card in (tested both cards although not particularly rigorously) but with two cards running together I get crashes after about 30 mins or so where the entire screen goes mental with colours and the system needs a hard reset. This has been happening in AotS running DX12 mGPU or other games with xfire enabled in driver.

Could be lack of reliable support in drivers (this has been happening on all drivers that I've installed for a while) or possibly other components so I'm interested to see whether others have had any troubles with multi-vega.

Have done for a little while a while back, did some benchmarking with them, not seen any particular problems really. Then had to return the card to my house mate. Might do more testing at some point, though the loop now complicates things.

Soldato
Have done for a little while a while back, did some benchmarking with them, not seen any particular problems really. Then had to return the card to my house mate. Might do more testing at some point, though the loop now complicates things.

Fair, I'll keep testing on my end. Benchmarking seems fine for me it's sustained use in a single game for up to an hour that starts manifesting trouble.

Benchmarking 2 Vegas is definitely good fun though :D

Caporegime

I am running 2x Vegas, no issues to mention of.

I found that disabling ULPS using MSI Afterburner increases FPS slightly, so i recommend doing that.

What power profile/clock settings/power limits are you using?

Soldato
I am running 2x Vegas, no issues to mention of.

I found that disabling ULPS using MSI Afterburner increases FPS slightly, so i recommend doing that.

What power profile/clock settings/power limits are you using?

I've not touched ULPS yet will give that a try. I'm running the high performance power profile in win 10 though if that makes any difference.

I've kept both Vegas (Power color air cooled) on the inbuilt power saving settings since I'm running on a 950w power supply (just to be safe).
Measurements at the wall seemed to be well within that limit so I'm not too worried about exceeding psu limits.

Caporegime
I've not touched ULPS yet will give that a try. I'm running the high performance power profile in win 10 though if that makes any difference.

I've kept both Vegas (Power color air cooled) on the inbuilt power saving settings since I'm running on a 950w power supply (just to be safe).
Measurements at the wall seemed to be well within that limit so I'm not too worried about exceeding psu limits.
Okay should be fine.

I don't see that issue though and mine are both overclocked and undervolted.

What PSU are you using?

Soldato
Okay should be fine.

I don't see that issue though and mine are both overclocked and undervolted.

What PSU are you using?

Directly from my OcUK receipt, looks like I was mistaken about the 950 earlier :p: Lepa G-Series 900W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

It is admittedly a few years old now, but I've not had any other problems using it thus far.

Permabanned
Just ran it there for a bit (also on Steam), and it runs fine for me too, still on the Adrenalin 17.2.1s.

I just booted Steam up and it was smooth here as well, I shoulf of gone to the slums now I think about it, On Steam I'm in the Old Town and on Gog I'm in the Slums still. I'm due to head to the Old Town now on Gog so I'll see how it is there and if it's smooth I'll boot Steam back up and travel back to check the Slums. Cheers.

Associate
Guys my PSU is a EVGA G3 650W, would u guys think its my issue for the vega crashes? [Page 220 for context]
Its brand new and my system doesnt consume that much its a R7 1700 and u know it doesnt crash in stress tests pulling 300W yet it crashes on games even at 100w...
A guy told me it could crash my vega because of low amperage?...

Soldato
Guys my PSU is a EVGA G3 650W, would u guys think its my issue for the vega crashes? [Page 220 for context]
Its brand new and my system doesnt consume that much its a R7 1700 and u know it doesnt crash in stress tests pulling 300W yet it crashes on games even at 100w...
A guy told me it could crash my vega because of low amperage?...
If you clock it down to 1200 on p6/p7 hbm2 945, and use 1.100v for the voltages, does it still crash in game, if so then I highly doubt the psu is at fault. Of course if you are spiking at 1600mhz + and the card is using 350w then the psu could be struggling, but generally a psu will just cut the whole system. Your black screen/sound carrying on is a classic and trait going back over every gcn family. It sounds to me like your gpu is unstable during a moment of utilisation and p-state switching.

Associate
If you clock it down to 1200 on p6/p7 hbm2 945, and use 1.100v for the voltages, does it still crash in game, if so then I highly doubt the psu is at fault. Of course if you are spiking at 1600mhz + and the card is using 350w then the psu could be struggling, but generally a psu will just cut the whole system. Your black screen/sound carrying on is a classic and trait going back over every gcn family. It sounds to me like your gpu is unstable during a moment of utilisation and p-state switching.
Well I've used power save and still crashed, also it crashed even on indie games at 90W when it doesnt at 300W on stress test is what I meant. About the MHz u said I didn't tried those but I've tried stock clocks but with p6 min p7 max and still crashed, with p6 1050 mv and p7 1125, but anyways it can't be voltage/unstable uv because I've also tried STOCK voltage which is crazy high p6 1100 mv and p7 1200 mv and it still crashed.
About the black screen I mean its the display reset thing, because its a driver crash I think, it driver crash so it restarts the gpu and display; and if I dont restart fast, it gets the computer freeze in less than a minute so I have to hold the power button to shutdown it; It doesnt get any audio problem it just restart the display and the vega gpu and in about 1 min it freezes the pc
(btw driver crash might sound like some driver reinstall but I've already used DDU for months all the drivers released it crashed the same, also did windows fresh format and install; also I have tried locking to p6)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I've used power save and still crashed, also it crashed even on indie games at 90W when it doesnt at 300W on stress test is what I meant. About the MHz u said I didn't tried those but I've tried stock clocks but with p6 min p7 max and still crashed, with p6 1050 mv and p7 1125, but anyways it can't be voltage/unstable uv because I've also tried STOCK voltage which is crazy high p6 1100 mv and p7 1200 mv and it still crashed.
About the black screen I mean its the display reset thing, because its a driver crash I think, it driver crash so it restarts the gpu and display; and if I dont restart fast, it gets the computer freeze in less than a minute so I have to hold the power button to shutdown it
(btw driver crash might sound like some driver reinstall but I've already used DDU for months all the drivers released it crashed the same, also did windows fresh format and install; also I have tried locking to p6)
Most likely it is faulty. Can you try it in a different system?

Back
Top Bottom