Alienate 15 r3

Soldato
Hi thinking of buying an alienware 15 With 1070 while they are on sale. Are they a good buy or is something better coming over the next few months that might make waiting a better idea?

Associate
I've owned an Alienware 15 R3 for just over a year now and while on the whole, I've been happy with it, I'm starting look around for something else.

My main gripe is the weight. It's a beast!
If you plan on using it on your lap...as a laptop...be prepared for dead leg. It's uncomfortable on your legs for long durations.

I had to repaste the GPU/CPU when it first arrived as the original paste was awful. CPU temps in the high 90's under load. After a repaste they were 20c lower.

The fans are also very loud. In fairness, I don't think this is much better on other models, but from reading around it does appear as though the 15 R3 is on the higher end of the noise scale.

Battery is also a problem. I wasn't expecting a long battery life, but I was hoping for slightly more than 90 minutes when gaming (at best).
I tend to have it permanently plugged in these days. It's just easier.

Soldato
I owned an Alienware 15 R3 for a while. It was the 60 Hz, i7, GTX 1070 version. Dell were horrendous, but the laptop was exceptionally good at what it was built for.

Quieter than my MBPr 15 inch under full load. Fairly good battery life, excellent screen. Really really good. Trackpad was okay, keyboard was great. Speakers excellent (for a laptop)

With regards to the fans, they're quite loud, but unobtrusive. They're a whooshing noise rather than high pitched whine

Soldato
OP
I've bought an Omen 17 instead. intel 7700 , 1060 , 1tb, 8gb, 17 ips 120hz gysnc - £999. awesome laptop and great price to. Shame there is no ssd though.

Back
Top Bottom