• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Most likely it is faulty. Can you try it in a different system?
Sadly I can't it as I only have this one my pc and my friends pc are just old asf, it would be a disgrace if it were faulty because its the "Limited Edition" I bought with love, btw if you wonder yes im the same guy I posted in the amd community forum).
Also I dont know if its coincidence, but definitely when im with relive and/or amd osd, both or only 1, cod ww2 just crash faster and im telling you thats tested because with both it crashes under 5-7 mins several times I tried it and withouth it takes more time to crash (also all of this is with hbcc)

Caporegime
Sadly I can't it as I only have this one my pc and my friends pc are just old asf, it would be a disgrace if it were faulty because its the "Limited Edition" I bought with love, btw if you wonder yes im the same guy I posted in the amd community forum).
Also I dont know if its coincidence, but definitely when im with relive and/or amd osd, both or only 1, cod ww2 just crash faster and im telling you thats tested because with both it crashes under 5-7 mins several times I tried it and withouth it takes more time to crash (also all of this is with hbcc)
What about if you don't use HBCC? HBCC it using system memory, so if there is any issue with your system memory, faulty, unstable frequency/timings, lacking voltage etc, then that could cause various issues in itself. Keep things simple when troubleshooting a possible faulty GPU.

Soldato
The AIB looks pretty disappointing compared to the reference. I think usually people expect the AIB cards to run cooler and faster than the reference cards and while the Gigabyte Gaming OC Vega 64 did it wasn't by much.
For the same price you could get a AORUS GTX 1080TI "XTREME EDITION", which makes it look poor value, imo.

Permabanned
The AIB looks pretty disappointing compared to the reference. I think usually people expect the AIB cards to run cooler and faster than the reference cards and while the Gigabyte Gaming OC Vega 64 did it wasn't by much.
For the same price you could get a AORUS GTX 1080TI "XTREME EDITION", which makes it look poor value, imo.

Gigabyte have been corner cutting with AMD cards since the die shrink, They released what was considered to be the worst AIB 480, I tried their AIB 560 and sent it back as it was terrible with temps and noise which on such a low end card is disgraceful, If you read the Tom's Hardware review on the Gigabyte Vega 56 AIB they were making excuses for it from start to finish, For me I was expecting the Gigabyte card to be lacklustre, If anyone wants an AMD card they should always go for an AMD only brand like Sapphire or Powercolor as the others often dive into the parts bin to see what they have that'll fit rather than properly develop a cooler for the specific AMD card. Asus ands MSI did it with Hawaii and Gigabyte did it with the 480.

Soldato
Okay should be fine.

I don't see that issue though and mine are both overclocked and undervolted.

What PSU are you using?

I'm thinking it might be a power issue. I spent some time testing with lengthy loops on Valley and Heaven and a couple games today with no problems in xfire. As soon as I use balanced/turbo profiles with FurMark it instantly crashes. What PSU are you using in yours? Might be mine's just not up to the task...

EDIT: I'm lying again, turns out now furmark crashes (screen corruption, cards seem to switch off) even in power save mode >_<

Caporegime
I'm thinking it might be a power issue. I spent some time testing with lengthy loops on Valley and Heaven and a couple games today with no problems in xfire. As soon as I use balanced/turbo profiles with FurMark it instantly crashes. What PSU are you using in yours? Might be mine's just not up to the task...

EDIT: I'm lying again, turns out now furmark crashes (screen corruption, cards seem to switch off) even in power save mode >_<
I wouldn't use Furmark, it just draws a lot of power through the cards and potentially shortens life span of the components.

I'm using a 2000W 8Pack PSU, but I've also used a 1200W Thermaltake Gold PSU as well.

Soldato
I wouldn't use Furmark, it just draws a lot of power through the cards and potentially shortens life span of the components.

I'm using a 2000W 8Pack PSU, but I've also used a 1200W Thermaltake Gold PSU as well.

May be worth an upgrade then. Thanks, I'll keep testing for now and see how it goes :)

Permabanned
Gigabytes Vega 64 Gaming OC review

A once-over of the PCB suggests that, once again, Gigabyte omitted many components found on its pre-production sample. The list of missing features begins with a Holtek microprocessor for RGB controls and ends with a second BIOS IC, which we miss a lot more. In the end, what remains is a cut-down version of what started as a much more ambitious project.

This quote is one of several that suggest that like Gigabyte's 56 Gaming OC the 64 Gaming OC was a reluctantly produced product (made as cheaply as possible) that will more than likely be inferior to the AIB Vega's from Sapphire, Powercolor & Asus.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-rx-vega-64-gaming-oc-review,5441.html

It's good to see that at 2560x1440 the Vega 64 beats out the 1080 in all bit 1 of the games tested in this review.

Soldato
Gigabytes Vega 64 Gaming OC review

This quote is one of several that suggest that like Gigabyte's 56 Gaming OC the 64 Gaming OC was a reluctantly produced product (made as cheaply as possible) that will more than likely be inferior to the AIB Vega's from Sapphire, Powercolor & Asus.

Such a shame that the company with the best rep for customer service is producing such shoddy products. Instead we have to get better cards from companies with rubbish customer care.

Associate
Definitely agreed on the cabling, especially if you plan on running the card over 225W, since that might run some cables out of spec and cause some slight... burning.
It's not burning that's the only concern though and there's a good chance that, certainly for short periods, the single cable will survive at 300W. The ability of the PSU to handle transient current spikes trough the single cable makes it less stable - so can cause voltage drops.

Those double connector cables shouldn't exist.

Soldato
It's not burning that's the only concern though and there's a good chance that, certainly for short periods, the single cable will survive at 300W. The ability of the PSU to handle transient current spikes trough the single cable makes it less stable - so can cause voltage drops.

Those double connector cables shouldn't exist.

While I see what you mean trouble is, most are split anyway it's just internal to the PSU and you don't see it all be is soldered.
I agree though , I have never like them spliters if pulling a lot of power

Associate
While I see what you mean trouble is, most are split anyway it's just internal to the PSU and you don't see it all be is soldered.
I agree though , I have never like them spliters if pulling a lot of power
Soldered to a busbar internally is fine. Modular PSUs with connectors have an additional problem because of the resistance in the contacts (generating heat which limits their rated capacity) but also the higher resistance of the single cable over two separate ones comes into play as well - higher resistance means larger voltage drop. The only difference between a 75W 6pin and a 150W 8pin are additional earth returns to lower resistance... which is all for nothing if you double up the connectors.

Permabanned
Such a shame that the company with the best rep for customer service is producing such shoddy products. Instead we have to get better cards from companies with rubbish customer care.

It is, They've also reduced the usual 3 year warranty down to 2 years for Vega, :(
If they can't be arsed AMD should cut them loose so they can stick to Nvidia which is where their focus is. Half arsed products damage AMD's reputation and seeing as there's this apparent lack of chips they'd of been better off giving them to Sapphire or Powercolor.

Back
Top Bottom