Separating from my wife.

dod

dod

Soldato
Yeah, how is it fair to be anything more than 50pc? Even then it isn't of you've contributed most!
I've got a business plus a fair bit of physical assets. The business is worth roughly the same as the physical assets even though in theory it could fail at any time. For me to keep it means handing everything else over :(

Fairness has nothing to do with then legal position

Sgarrista
Commissario
I've got a business plus a fair bit of physical assets. The business is worth roughly the same as the physical assets even though in theory it could fail at any time. For me to keep it means handing everything else over :(

Random spitball idea, can you not fold/sell the company to effectively value it at nothing for the divorce, get your 50% and a clean break then "re-set-up".

Caporegime
I guess this is another area, in addition to avoiding inheritance tax, where rich people wrapping up assets in trusts can avoid having to face these sorts of bills.

"Sorry ex-wife, the estate doesn't belong to me and nor does the London townhouse, the trustees have decided that you can pack your bags and leave ASAP"

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Tell her you won’t sign the divorce papers. If you string it out long enough (whilst you speak to a solicitor) you’ll have the upper hand.

Remember, she needs you to agree to it as much as you want rid of her. If you make out that you’ll drag it on through solicitors and cost her £££££ she may think twice or at least slow her down.

Tip: In the meantime call the bank and have her removed from your joint account(s) and cancel any credit cards you may have in her name.

At the moment she could empty the account or run up huge bills and you’d be powerless to do anything about it.

Soldato
Tell her you won’t sign the divorce papers. If you string it out long enough (whilst you speak to a solicitor) you’ll have the upper hand.

Remember, she needs you to agree to it as much as you want rid of her. If you make out that you’ll drag it on through solicitors and cost her £££££ she may think twice or at least slow her down.

Tip: In the meantime call the bank and have her removed from your joint account(s) and cancel any credit cards you may have in her name.

At the moment she could empty the account or run up huge bills and you’d be powerless to do anything about it.

If it's a joint account then you'll need the consent from both parties.

And even if one party doesn't sign the divorce petition you can go through the route of deemed service.

Caporegime
they will. I probably stayed in a **** marriage many more years than I should have. I'm in a happier place now, seeing a lovely lady and beginning to see some light. The divorce however will result in her taking most of my assets despite having contributed nothing. Only positive is that there were no kids :)

This does annoy me, it literally makes no sense for her to have any of YOUR assets.

Even when kids are involved it annoys the hell out of me,.

Soldato
I am sorry OP as this sounds crap. I remember when my parents got divorced it sucked but thankfully we were just renting so there were no real "assets" to split... just Children to use as emotional blackmail. However when my dad recently got divorced it got a bit nasty as they had a house and a business to sort out which ended with my dad being shafted and my step mum getting the better deal, Although she deserved it in all honesty.

All of this however is why my wife and I have a contract between us that states how much each person put into the house at time of purchase and that in the event of it being sold NO MATTER the reason all proceeds after the initial investment get split 50\50 unless another agreement is reached amicably.

Caporegime
All of this however is why my wife and I have a contract between us that states how much each person put into the house at time of purchase and that in the event of it being sold NO MATTER the reason all proceeds after the initial investment get split 50\50 unless another agreement is reached amicably.

even then, if it has risen in value considerably, then that is still unfair to whoever contributed the most to it

I mean suppose it doubled in value in just 5 years but one person paid 90% of the deposit and 90% of the mortgage... the bulk of it is still split 50/50 yet one party gets a disproportionate return compared to what they invested/risked

(obviously this ignores things like someone giving up their career in order to raise a child etc.. and perhaps assumes a childless relationship where both parties are working)

Associate
OP
Tell her you won’t sign the divorce papers. If you string it out long enough (whilst you speak to a solicitor) you’ll have the upper hand

Only joint account we have is the mortgage.

Soldato
even then, if it has risen in value considerably, then that is still unfair to whoever contributed the most to it

I mean suppose it doubled in value in just 5 years but one person paid 90% of the deposit and 90% of the mortgage... the bulk of it is still split 50/50 yet one party gets a disproportionate return compared to what they invested/risked

(obviously this ignores things like someone giving up their career in order to raise a child etc.. and perhaps assumes a childless relationship where both parties are working)
Then get an agreement\contract that suits. This suited us. Yes I pay more towards the mortgage in terms of the percentage split but she does way more of the cleaning and chores than I do, Do they not require some form of recompense? I doubt there are many actual relationships where the finances are split 50\50 without one party being put out and having no life. Everything needs to be taken into consideration really.

Soldato
Well to some degree yes. My wife spends far more time looking after the house than I do but I earn more than her so I guess more of MY money goes to that and I generally spend less time doing chores. Does that mean I should be entitled to more of the proceeds from a well looked after house at the end of the day? Some could argue yes but I argue that it wouldn't be in the condition it is in without the hard work we both out into our respective areas. She works, Cooks, Cleans, Mends, Creates, Updates while I do the same but to a lesser extent but earn more. Does that mean I should be entitled to more of what is a joint venture to keep in top condition?

What I am saying is, Owning a home is about more than just I paid X so I deserve X

Caporegime
Well to some degree yes. My wife spends far more time looking after the house than I do but I earn more than her so I guess more of MY money goes to that and I generally spend less time doing chores. Does that mean I should be entitled to more of the proceeds from a well looked after house at the end of the day? Some could argue yes but I argue that it wouldn't be in the condition it is in without the hard work we both out into our respective areas. She works, Cooks, Cleans, Mends, Creates, Updates while I do the same but to a lesser extent but earn more. Does that mean I should be entitled to more of what is a joint venture to keep in top condition?

What I am saying is, Owning a home is about more than just I paid X so I deserve X

This is very true.
In my relationship (and probably all future) I always see both parties working and sharing the 'house work' with no kids. But yes, if one party is looking after kids or it's been decided that one party works and other does everything else you can't j ustlook at money contributions.

So really, every case has to be done on its own attributes. Where a good legal team can get you a lot.

Shame people can' tjust be decent.

Associate

Couldn't you try put your assets into something physical and keep it hidden away without declaring it on paper?

I mean if they're going to milk you might as well stick what you are expected to give her into something and risk it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom